[84384] Lingering exclusive fullscreen mode setting in .ini prevents RealFlight from running

Tils

I recently updated to the October 11 Version.

On trying to run the app it starts and runs, and I can see it in Task Manager but no game window appears. Stop and Rerun has the same outcome. I restarted machine and made sure everything patched but still no success. Switching off the beta back to standard allows the game to start again

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    118.1 KB · Views: 12
Hi Tils,

One suggestion: start RF without the USB controller attached and let us know if there is a popup window message saying he´s missing. Might help determining how far startup succeeded.

Note: DxDiag suggesting crashes, see appcrash at bottom).

Last edited:
I am experiencing the identical problem: When I start RF (10.00.070) I see the executable in the task manager, but nothing happens. Without USB controller the popup window "controller missing" appears. The previous version 10.00.066 started without problems.
System configuration: AMD Radeon 7900 XT, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus ROG STRIX B550-F, Windows 11 with latest AMD Adrenalin 23.10.2

I don't know if my previous post was clear: Without USB controller the popup window "controller missing" appears, but no RF game window pops up (only the exectuable in the task manager). Do you have any suggestions on what else I can test to further isolate the problem? Thank you!
One comment (#2) on the Steam platform on your announcement "DX11 Public Beta Update: RealFlight Evolution 10.00.070" describes the identical problem.

Last edited:
I'm unsure if a log or crash dump is generated somewhere in this scenario.
Suggest you check if Windows notice something with the Event Viewer tool:
  • Start RF with remote controller attached (now we know issue does occur after checking if valid device is attached)
  • Select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type eventvwr.msc and hit [Enter]
  • Expand the "Windows Logs" menu and check if there are any Error that could be related to RF under "Applications" or "System"
  • Focus on today's date, critical error = red exclamation mark
Let us know how it goes!

Hello RemyHeli,

thank you for your suggestions!

RF doesn't crash, but kind of hangs, therefore no core dump is generated. Unfortunately, the event viewer doesn't show any error at the time of starting RF, not even a warning.

Do you know if there is a start option (command line) to start the binary RealFlight64.exe in a verbose mode with more output?

Thanks for trying as suggested.
I don't want interfere with the dev team. At this point, I recommend you also run DxDiag, export results to text file and add here so they can look after your configuration and any eventual error in same file, when time permits. Thanks for understanding.

Thanks for these reports. I'm not sure what's happening here. @SteveMcO, can you please attach your DxDiag.txt (instructions here)?

Please try the following. I don't know that it will fix anything, but it could help narrow down the problem.
  1. Exit RealFlight if it is running.
  2. Go to the <Documents> directory on your disk.
  3. Rename the "RealFlight Evolution DX11 Beta" subdirectory.
Does RF start now? If so, we can come back and take some additional steps to try to narrow down the problem, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for the hint! Renaming the folder "RealFlight Evolution DX11 Beta" fixed the problem. The cause of the problem is the entry "WindowsState" in file RealFlight64.ini in the section [DirectX]. With "WindowState=INT:0" RF hangs at startup, with "WindowState=INT:2" RF starts normally. Please find attached the corresponding DxDiag.txt.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
I'm glad that helped! Thanks for letting us know. I was going to follow up with additional steps to narrow it down, but it sounds like you did that quite well on your own!

If it's not too inconvenient, could you please keep that backup copy around in case we have additional questions? Hopefully we'll be able to reproduce the issue as easily as setting that .ini value, though.

@Tils, are you able to make the same change described above and report your results?

I filed case 84384 in our issue tracking system to address this problem. A potential fix should be out shortly.

Hi Ryan,

Fixed for me with 84384:
1) Manually set WindowState to INT:0
2) Launched RF, no hang
3) RF self fixed WindowState to INT:1

Note: RF is unstable if started with INT: value missing or different of 0 or 1 (I suppose that other values should not happen anyway, just so you know!).

Last edited:
Hello Ryan, hello RemyHeli,

I can also confirm that the problem no longer occurs in version 10.00.072. I used the backup of the RF folder you asked me for for testing. As RemyHeli wrote, the value is automatically changed from 0 to 1 and RF starts without problems. Thanks for the quick bug fix!

Note: The value INT:2 I mentioned in post #9 was the default of RF (10.00.070) after I deleted the RF folder.

Back