9.5 Controller

Rockyw

I have RF 9.5 and both my DX5 and DX6 only 1 toggle works. Is it better to buy the controller with the software and will all the functions work?

IMHO, it's best to buy the controller. I see thread after thread after thread about "I can't get my xxx transmitter to do yyy for aircraft zzz." The interlink controller "just works" especially if you connect it through a USB hub. I think they're supplying a hub with the controller now.

The InterLink DX has a lot more switches and buttons, all of which are mapped to something in RealFlight. A radio with less than 8 channels can feel pretty limiting with the simulator. Not only do you find yourself flying planes with more features than your own planes, but you may also want to map RF functions such as reset to a switch on your radio. After InterLink DX, the next best experience in this respect is with an NX10 and a USB connection. The Spektrum wireless dongles are limited to 8 channels, even if your radio has more than 8.

I will agree that using an InterLink DX is a lot easier than setting up your own radio to work with RF, and the feel of the InterLink DX isn't that different from some other Spektrum radios. On the other hand, there are times when I want to experiment with something on my radio using the sim instead of a real plane.

On the other hand, there are times when I want to experiment with something on my radio using the sim instead of a real plane.
How do you do this? Do you disable the software radio in the sim to eliminate mixes, etc? I've never used anything other than the original game port interlink, the InterLink Elite, or the InterLink-X. I own a Futaba T8UAP with a Spektrum RF module, but I've never bothered to buy one of the Spektrum dongles.

How do you do this? Do you disable the software radio in the sim to eliminate mixes, etc? I've never used anything other than the original game port interlink, the InterLink Elite, or the InterLink-X. I own a Futaba T8UAP with a Spektrum RF module, but I've never bothered to buy one of the Spektrum dongles.
Yes, you can disable many of the features of the built-in software radio with just one click in the Controller Profile. Then you can shift those responsibilities to the radio in your hands and adjust them as you like.

The dongle works by mapping the first 8 radio channels over the air into Windows game controller inputs. In turn, you use the Controller Profile in RealFlight to map those 8 game inputs with RealFlight channels to control the various functions of the aircraft. The two big challenges in this process are setting up a model on your radio to use those 8 channels as effectively as possible, and then setting up the Controller Profile to work the way you want it to. It's inevitable that you'll want to tweak the Controller Profile to meet your needs, and that can be extra complexity that someone who is new to RealFlight doesn't want to undertake. This is why the InterLink DX is simpler and just works - the InterLink DX has one configuration out of the box (it's not programmable like a field radio), and then the Controller Profile is already configured to make all of the switches and other inputs work a certain way.

Back