able to connect to players in G4.5 but not G5

wolffer

I have had problems with G5 not connecting with all the players and only connecting to the host in sessions in G5 right now. Installed G4.5 and it connects to all players in sessions on G4.5.go back to G5 and it only connects to Host and everyone that joins session after I do. New D Link router and ports for both games port forwarded correctly and the box is checked. no anti virus. and same pluged directly into modem. running windows 7 64 bit. testing g5 tonight on another computer on same network. was told by one of the members in this forum their motorola canopy 900 Internet system has no problem. updated drivers. Any one have any Ideas how to fix or anything else to check? Why does the 32 bit computer connect faster to MP than the 64 bit computer ? also the 32 bit computer has a wireless card with low signal and the 64 bit computer is plugged straight in. The 32 bit computer has a crappy video card if you are wondering why not run it in that one.

Actually, the G5 ports are a subset of the G4.5 ports. If your router is configured for G4.5, then it's configured for G5, but not the other way around.

You can only forward ports to one machine at a time. If you have g4.5 installed on one machine, and G5 installed on another machine, that's a problem. You must reconfigure your router to reflect the IP address of the computer you are using for MP.

yes the port fowarding is set to the sticky thread picture. I just tried G5 and was only able to connect to the host and then closed out of G5 and opened G4.5 rev 50 and connected to 3 players in a session.so now I have eliminated 64 bit,windows7 as the probable cause. New D link router extreme didn't fix it either. both programs are on same computer. any other Ideas ? and also eliminated comuter.

If one works, and the other doesn't, look to a Windows Firewall exception being missing for G5, or that you have some other local firewalling software that is blocking the packets.

call it weird or what but 4.5 doesn't work now but G5 is connecting over 8 players and everything is working as it should. I really cannot say what was done to get this far but the last thing i remember is telling my ISP the port numbers and to make sure they were not blocked upstream of my modem. of course they said they were not but now G5 works ????? I can live with G5 and it is no longer dissapointing me.

wolffer said:
I really cannot say what was done to get this far but the last thing i remember is telling my ISP the port numbers and to make sure they were not blocked upstream of my modem. of course they said they were not but now G5 works ?????

I can live with G5 and it is no longer dissapointing me.

Not to disparage you, but if G5 was "dissappointing you", this wasn't G5's fault...

As you've seen something outside of the program itself was causing your problems.

All to often it is easy to blame the newly introduced program when something goes wrong.

Real problems tend to be experienced by many people somewhat uniformly.

So if you are seeing a problem that no one else seems to have previously reported ( as in the post in the other thread about the keerror message ) it is best to suspect that something else may be at work first.

I Was dissapointed in the amount of time it took to make the MP to work and to not really find out I did anything to fix it . today actually both programs work and once again I didn't change anything at all again. I had the problems on 2 computers when I ran tests and both computers were totally different.I am so glad that I do not have any problems connecting to over 8 people and no problems yet. Maybe my ISP was blocking ports but I will never be able to prove that. I do thank everyone for all there suggestions to check and patience also. But somewhere upstream of my modem something changed.

wolffer said:
But somewhere upstream of my modem something changed.

That is indeed quite possible...

Or something was rebooted, adjusted, etc.

It sounds like you actually had everything set up correctly and head-end or upstream problems hid this from you.

Back