Add on Volume 3 will not install

kjhaxel

When trying to install volume 3, the installer does nothing but put a window down in the menu bar which sits there for about 30 seconds, then disappears. Nothing else happens. I installed the installation fix and that didn't help. The virus protection, windows XP firewall and all spyware programs are not running. Nothing works. I even tried copying the disk contents to the hard drive and running setup from there and that didn't work. With all the complaints about add-ons why don't you guys get this stuff fixed? I've never had any trouble with any program except knife edge products.

Attachments

• launchertext.txt
    133.9 KB · Views: 59
XP often will fail to open the correct dialog boxes if something is trying to user the common dialog interface or have inadecuate permissions.

First make sure that you have full administrative rights on the computer. If you have more than one user account created on it, you may have to go to another.

Run MSCONFIG and check to see what you have automatically launching at startup. Usually people are quite suprised to see all the garbage that their systems may be attempting to run at startup.

Most items EXCEPT anti-virus/spam related startup things are NOT NEEDED. Disable them.

Next reboot and log in. Wait a few minutes for the computer to settle down and finish loading any services, and grab updates, etc.

Then open up the task manager and kill off anything which is not needed... and optionally stop unneeded services.

Then try launching the startup routine again via the installation patch.

E.g. you must use the downloaded file to actually begin the installation.

You should see the Knifedge dialog box appear which permits you to perform the actual install.

When you launch the installation fix, does the MSI installer begin to run?

... as if it is about to launch the installation?

Or does it stop after you click on the Knifedge menu?

No, the installation fix does not launch the installer. It quits after I click the button that says "Install Real Flight Add-Ons #3 CD". The installation fix doesn't do much either. It just disappears and nothing happens.

Knife Edge employees are on vacation this week. I'm browsing the forums, but I don't have an ansser for you. The only thing I can suggest is doing a search or contacting technical support.

Travis

Back