Aerial photogrametry

surjer

Is it possible to use an] GeoReferenced Aerial Image to create a "Floor Plan" for a new flying field? I would like to import the aerial photo of my flying field and then trace the objects on top of it. Is this possible? I know you can take a 360X180 photo and import it but I wasnt sure about the "Flat Ground Image"

That's a good question I would like to know that answer as well.

and if you can import a scene from another 3d program for models in the sim.

Yeah - I think it would be pretty awesome that way I could make 3d objects in the exact locations they exist in RL. I want to build an exact replica of my home flying field. I thought the best way to do this would be to use the USGS DOQQ's found here.

http://terraserver-usa.com/cmap.aspx?src=0&ppd=1&r=4&c=3&W=0&ClickAt=?0,0

I would assume for them to be geographically correct the game would most likely work off a WGS-84 coordinate system? I could easily convert the photo from UTM (Native) to WGS-84 lat/longs

Even if the game doesnt support actual coordinate systems I could scale the image based on a known distance. For instance take the Tree Line that shows up in the photo and measure it @ the field and then stretch the photo to match that distance in the game. This could end up being really kewl. All I need now is for someone to post up and say "That functionality doesnt exisit" if thats the case. Would anybody else think this would be usefull? Or am I way out in left field?

I dont think this is possible - At least I have found nothing that shows how to do it. Only panaramic photo fields...

I modeled my club's old flying field in G2 by using satellite shots. I couldn't import the image but I did use it to take measurements and convert to RF units on the map. A good point of reference is the length & width of the runway. You can measure these and use the results to "scale" the image.

Old post, still need answers! In AMA Site 3 photofield, if you go into the editor, you can see that the asphalt, concrete and gravel areas are all based on what appears to be a satellite image masked off for the various areas. What I can’t figure out, is how you import those masked images and “map” them onto something for the base of the photofield. Can anyone shed some light on this? I can’t seem to find any tutorial for building a custom site. And please don’t tell me to search the archives. Every time I think I’ve found something related, it’s just a bunch of broken links that lead nowhere!

Old post, still need answers! In AMA Site 3 photofield, if you go into the editor, you can see that the asphalt, concrete and gravel areas are all based on what appears to be a satellite image masked off for the various areas.
The areas of much of the 'geography' IS based on actual satellite images which have been masked off for security and other reasons (this was deliberately done).

I suppose (if you are clever) and you can find the actual areas on earth (hint: Sierra Nevada) and merge the google maps with the images from RealFlight you might be able to fill in the gaps; however, what you're also going to discover is that the actual areas are not only masked off, they are also a collage. Consequently, mapping them to reality may be more than difficult.

marcus

Chrisc58 Only,
I have actual experience in creating a number of photo fields (+/-15) in RealFlight. Sorry, I do not share. I even have some 3D objects imported into the field. I think the problem that you are having is that you think that you only need to shoot the photo from the horizon up. No, you need to shoot the panorama from about 45 degrees down (as far as you can) and shoot the pictures as high as you can on the up angle. The photos are then stitched together to look like a single distorted picture. When imported the ground is just as you would see it standing there. Now you need to look for someplace on the RF world to locate your field. Mostly, I just use flat areas. AFAIK, there is no way for us to modify the grid or replace it.
I have never done a full 100% 3D field.

Old post, still need answers! In AMA Site 3 photofield, if you go into the editor, you can see that the asphalt, concrete and gravel areas are all based on what appears to be a satellite image masked off for the various areas. What I can’t figure out, is how you import those masked images and “map” them onto something for the base of the photofield. Can anyone shed some light on this? I can’t seem to find any tutorial for building a custom site. And please don’t tell me to search the archives. Every time I think I’ve found something related, it’s just a bunch of broken links that lead nowhere!

Back