Aircraft-Airfield v4.5 versus v5

skubacb

Questions for Knife Edge.

From v3.5 to v4.5 there were a number of differences with aircraft and most had to be redesigned.

What are the differences with v4.5 and v5 aircraft? Is there a FAQ around explaining this?

If there are differences what problems might we see when importing v4.5 aircraft?

Does v5 import v3.5 aircraft any differently? I.E. does it do any fixes when the aircraft is imported?

Same questions about the airfields.

Last edited:
There are very little if any problems importing G4.5 aircraft into G5. I would speculate that the problems with G3.5 aircraft into G5 would be the same as G4. There can't be any "fix" done automatically, because there is no standard for aircraft design. Modelers are free to model in any way they choose. If that's your only hesitation in buying G5, you're over-analyzing. Just buy it! :)

JeffPN,

Well that was not very helpful. You need to do a little digging around the site. KE has already stated that there can and well be problems.

I would like to know what those problems are.

Second, JeffPN, why make assumptions that are not in evidence like telling someone to buy G5 when they already have it.

Blind support does not make for a better product.

Sounds like you've already found your answers by digging around the site. Why are you asking questions, then?

Maybe you could post links to the posts that say there "can and well be problems."

skubacb said:
Questions for Knife Edge.

From v3.5 to v4.5 there were a number of differences with aircraft and most had to be redesigned.

Not true.

The physics had to be re-adjusted. Not the actual models.

skubacb said:
What are the differences with v4.5 and v5 aircraft?

Certain things were tweaked to improve airfoil behaviour, heli physics, lift and stall factors, etc.

This is only applicable to the planes included with G5. All other planes currently have no changes applied ( purposely ) to avoid the screams that occur whenever Knifeedge does ANYTHING to the physics... and those screams occur even when they do NOTHING to the physics...

The program may be adjusted in the future so these changes will apply to user created planes as well.

skubacb said:
Is there a FAQ around explaining this?

No.

skubacb said:
If there are differences what problems might we see when importing v4.5 aircraft?

None.

skubacb said:
Does v5 import v3.5 aircraft any differently? I.E. does it do any fixes when the aircraft is imported?

G5 uses the same mechanism to import G3 aircraft as G4.x does and make path and settings corrections.

G5's import process is identical to G4 otherwise.

skubacb said:
Same questions about the airfields.

There are no difference in the import process.

However many particularly user created airfields rely on 3D objects that are specific to each version of the program.

An "airfield" file is merely a description of the object hiearchy. It usually contains no actual objects ( well, actually it CAN contain USER CREATED objects, but that's another story... ).

The file describes the location and placement of 3D objects from the libraries that come with G3, G4 OR G5, and the add-ons and expansion packs.

In some cases objects may be changed, deleted or renamed from version to version.

When this occurs you may see a problem with a G3 or G4 airfield that is imported into G5... however this only involves the missing objects.

A tell tale indicator that this happened, is the warning you may see if you open one of these airfields and see a message about a missing car, building, etc.

Otherwise the imported airfield works fine.

Last edited:
Opjose,

Actually, there were changes to aircraft such as springy landing gear which you could not use in 4.5 with 3.5 aircraft.

The addon aircraft would work with 3.5 but not with 4.5. That is why KE fixed them and allowed free access to them for 4.5 owners.

Again, I really would like to hear from KE and not just wags.

skubacb said:
Opjose,

Actually, there were changes to aircraft such as springy landing gear which you could not use in 4.5 with 3.5 aircraft.

Actually YOU ASKED about G4 to G5 not G3 to G5.

skubacb said:
Opjose,

The addon aircraft would work with 3.5 but not with 4.5. That is why KE fixed them and allowed free access to them for 4.5 owners.

Which again has nothing to do directly with G5.

I've already listed what you wanted to know.

G4.x and G5 work the same way, with the changes I noted.

skubacb said:
Opjose,

Again, I really would like to hear from KE and not just wags.

Sorry only us "wags" here.

So you'll just continue to hear from us.

Folks, as a relatively new user here myself I feel compelled to point out that the edgy tone here on this forum from a couple prominent users only serves to drive off newcomers and stifle conversation. If that is your intent, you are doing it well.

If that is not your intent, please consider backing down a bit and either letting someone else answer a question you think is superfluous or already answered..... or answer it yourself. Without the attitude. Please?

Paul

Interesting that it was the OP who resorted to name calling, yet it was the "prominent users" (who posted accurate and respectful information) with whom you find fault. KE historically does not answer questions like this. The OP was given the information he was looking for. If he chooses not to accept it, he can. But that doesn't make the answers wrong.

pgoelz said:
Folks, as a relatively new user here myself I feel compelled to point out that the edgy tone here on this forum from a couple prominent users only serves to drive off newcomers and stifle conversation. If that is your intent, you are doing it well.

Paul

If a jerk cannot take what they dish out, then that is success indeed!

Instead of defending such twirps, try dealing with them yourself. You'll soon change your mind.

I know you mean well, and for the most part your advice does indeed apply.

However there are instances, such as this one, where the OP's abusiveness is ridiculous.

opjose said:
I know you mean well, and for the most part your advice does indeed apply.

However there are instances, such as this one, where the OP's abusiveness is ridiculous.
I really meant to drop this but.....

Regardless of the perceived abusiveness of the person asking for help (and I didn't read his first couple posts as abusive at all, just frustrated), how does responding in kind EVER help the situation on a forum intended to HELP people? I think you overlook the way this looks to people who might be reading but haven't posted a question yet.

I've been on the receiving end of this as well in the short time I have been here and believe me, I think twice before posting anything. Including this. But my philosophy is that if you don't speak up, nothing gets better.

On the other hand, if y'all think the tone here on this forum is just fine, tell me to buzz off and I'll go away. I promise.

Paul

Back