Aircraft designer / GMAX export filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

The situation with GMax was a surprise to us. We paid our license fee for the development kit some time ago and then proceeded to develop the plug-in. When it came time to release it they pulled the plug on the program.

Lots of people at both Knife Edge and Great Planes are involved in trying to work with the publisher to get grandfathered in, on the basis that we just finished many hard months of effort and have already paid our license fee for the development kit. At this time there is still some hope that it will be possible to release the GMax editor so we aren't prepared to scrap our work and move on.

I wish I could give out more information but I just don't have any at this time. The situation is frustrating to be sure.

While all this is playing out, we're going to let people who have 3dsmax make use of our 3dsmax export filter. Meanwhile, we're looking into other options for a freely distributable solution.

Jim

jbourke said:
Guys,

The situation with GMax was a surprise to us. We paid our license fee for the development kit some time ago and then proceeded to develop the plug-in. When it came time to release it they pulled the plug on the program.

Wow... that is horrible. I can't believe they would do that. I don't have great feelings for Autodesk but that seems so unprofessional it amazing. I wish you luck.

-Hays

Omita said:
Man… please… I think you forgot to take you medicine. Please, think before you type, or keep it to yourself. At least look up one or two things before you start itemizing the crap coming from your brain. Don’t berate KE for something that isn’t there fault, not to mention something that has even happened yet. Until KE says the GMax version isn’t going to happen then it’s still a possibility. You are jumping the gun. The GMax version is the free editor and until further notice it’s going to happen. It’s just taking longer then they had expected. I am sure they are equally frustrated. I personally think their only other option would have been Maya’s PLE version and even that would be in the same situation because Alias was just acquired by Autodesk. Your beef about the cost of 3D Max… GMax… etc is all with Autodesk… NOT Knife Edge.

So instead of throwing a temper tantrum like a child why don’t you see if you can help? I don’t think you could come off any more ignorant or ungrateful from your post to the forums.

The only reason I am bothering writing this is because many of us are happy that KE is making tools available and we don’t want the “village idiot” to send the wrong message back to KE.

Whats this -a personal attack from a former Knife Edge employee?? NICE :p

Omita said:
I wouldn't say it's personal. I am just a KE customer now, and I can't believe how ignorant people can be. I actually didn't even know they were releasing tools to the public but it make me very happy. I don't think anyone should yell at a company without expecting someone else to yell back.

I do know from working at a company that people at the company have feelings and yelling at the people who on “your” side as a customer isn’t cool.

When I was younger I also flipped burgers for McDonalds, that doesn’t mean I speed for McD’s.

You made it personal when you said "I think you forgot to take you medicine", "think before you type", "the crap coming from your brain", "throwing a temper tantrum like a child", "I don’t think you could come off any more ignorant" and my personal favorite "The only reason I am bothering writing this is because many of us are happy that KE is making tools available and we don’t want the “village idiot” to send the wrong message back to KE."

Last time users got "personal" 3 peoples names were put on the "problem user" list, myself included. I am interested to see how this is gonna play out.

Lets see how fairly the KE guys choose to handle this..

Omita said:
Well... I am sure that I will get the same treatment as any other poster on the boards. I don’t consider what I say personal… maybe the “village idiot” part. But that pretty much sums up how I feel.

If people are reading into my posts then I might need to start another account or not post at all, which would be a bigger loss for people that might need help exporting models. That is the only reason I have been active on the forums really.

I don't expect special treatment, and it’s KE boards and their rules.

Oh I seriously doubt your in any danger dude ;) Their have been countless personal attacks over the years on these forums but to my knowledge only 3 of us were punished as a result:rolleyes:

I agreed completely with Omita. I would have said the same thing but I only had time to post about the one thing that I knew for a fact.

Omita - say it again!

Omita said:
Man… please… I think you forgot to take you medicine. Please, think before you type, or keep it to yourself. At least look up one or two things before you start itemizing the crap coming from your brain.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. At least I didn't spout abuse, as you just have. Quite frankly if you don't want to read it, then don't. But don't tell me what I can or cannot post. If KE considered the post abusive, they would have removed it as they have for other posts in the past.

Omita said:
Don’t berate KE for something that isn’t there fault, not to mention something that has even happened yet. Until KE says the GMax version isn’t going to happen then it’s still a possibility. You are jumping the gun.

Actually, though I think KE a the victim here too, they should not have continually promised something they weren't sure they could deliver. If they didn't have the licence agreement in place with Autodesk, they shouldn't have put in the effort on the product or promised it to us.

The situation with GMax came as a complete surprise to me as well. Until a few DAYS ago, it was freely available as a separate product, and until now I don't think it's been removed from Turbosquid. I think I can be forgiven for not knowing the situation down to the latest considering KE hasn't given any detail on the licensing issues. (I grant you there may be good reason for them not giving details, such as NDAs or not wanting to jeopardize any possibility of working out negotiations).

Omita said:
The GMax version is the free editor and until further notice it’s going to happen. It’s just taking longer then they had expected. I am sure they are equally frustrated.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Autodesk have just basically killed GMax as a free product.

Omita said:
I personally think their only other option would have been Maya’s PLE version and even that would be in the same situation because Alias was just acquired by Autodesk.

*sigh* You'd think there'd be some sort of control/protection against a single company doing this and creating a monopoly. There may well be other free 3D Modellers out there. The fact is I don't know because for directx content and games in particular GMax had become the defacto standard.

Omita said:
Your beef about the cost of 3D Max… GMax… etc is all with Autodesk… NOT Knife Edge.

Autodesk has pulled the plug on a product that they allowed a lot of people to become dependant on so they can sell a very expensive product in its stead. KE has repeatedly promised something they may not be able to deliver. Both are at fault.

Omita said:
So instead of throwing a temper tantrum like a child why don’t you see if you can help? I don’t think you could come off any more ignorant or ungrateful from your post to the forums.

Excuse me? I'm a paying customer and have a right to an opinion on what KE do well and what they do badly. I don't have to be "grateful" if I find there are flaws.

Omita said:
The only reason I am bothering writing this is because many of us are happy that KE is making tools available and we don’t want the “village idiot” to send the wrong message back to KE.

Once again, the pot calling the kettle black. Calling me a "village idiot" is hardly what I'd call professional. I can think of nothing more arrogant than trying to to slam someone down for expressing an opinion with nothing but straight out abuse. In a single post you've called me a village idiot, told me to take my medicine, and accused me of "itemizing crap coming out of your brain".

Sammy Yousef said:
Excuse me? I'm a paying customer and have a right to an opinion on what KE do well and what they do badly. I don't have to be "grateful" if I find there are flaws.

I agree with the above statement 100% Sammy (its why everyone in this forum hates me).

Most users in this forum will go on the attack if you have anything at all negative to say about G3, they dont understand the purpose of a "general discussion" or "support" forum.

If you have any problems with G3 you will be attacked and labeled a "whinner" and perhaps if your lucky you'll even get a homophobic statement from Highflyer and Slider will suddenly become your new best friend ;)

Highflyer said:
I agreed completely with Omita. I would have said the same thing but I only had time to post about the one thing that I knew for a fact.

Omita - say it again!

Oh brother! You people seriously have some issues to work out! Do you think I'd have bothered calling the product "magical" in my post, or even posting at all if I didn't think it was worth talking about? I didn't "yell at" knife edge, I expressed frustrations. Unlike others, I did not name call, I said they should lift their game.

Personally I think the community's been VERY patient with KE, and that KE should step up to the plate and take some responsibility for their actions. They promised an editor and it now looks like they probably won't be able to deliver. I'm hoping they will find a way.

All I'm seeing here is a complete lack of professionalism. Ex-employees abusing customers, and other people supporting that occurring? If it had come from some random user it would have been bad enough. I TRUELY didn't expect such immaturity. I'm a software developer. I've had years of dealing with competing pressures from clients, employers and end users. If I treated my customer's like this I'd be out of a job in no time! While I certainly don't intend to take any kind of legal action of any kind (I despise the whole idea of becoming litigious over being flamed), this doesn't exactly encourage me to try to put anything back into the community.

For example I've just worked out how to stop the Cap 232 from tipping in the latest patch without affecting its flight dynamics. It's not the fix suggested by KE. Why should I bother putting this information online if I'm only going to be flamed? (I will put it online, because I don't think every Realflight G3 user is quite so eager to refer to other users as the "village idiot").

Highflyer said:
Rick - that was not homophobic.

Lets see 2 guys having a discussion in a forum and your contribution was "which ones the girl"

No?

By girl I took it to mean you wanted to know which one of us was on the recieving end.

What was it that you were suggesting then??

Perhaps you were cruisin for a piece of ***? ;)

Someone suggested you two are a couple. There is no way to know who or what is really behind the name. I might have assumed a couple of guys, girls, or a girl and a guy. Maybe I wanted to know which was the girl so I could tell who was winning the fight. You must be homophobic since you projected it so strongly on me.

Highflyer said:
Someone suggested you two are a couple. There is no way to know who or what is really behind the name. I might have assumed a couple of guys, girls, or a girl and a guy. Maybe I wanted to know which was the girl so I could tell who was winning the fight. You must be homophobic since you projected it so strongly on me.

Lol -you know some girls named Rick? Give us a break! Yeah were both girls and Adlai flys all the way to CA from Hawaii just so we can hold eachotherr close ;)

Last edited:
While autodesk's website is not allowing you to get GMAX I was still able to download, install, and get a registration code from turbosquid.

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

Gotta love software companies. Sorry to hear about your issues KE. Good luck getting them resolved.

Somebody else will be comming out with something to take it's place. It might already be outhere but just not noticed since Gmax was there.

GMax still available at Turbosquid

Just thinking out loud here but perhaps those of you who don't have GMax should download it while it's still available. I'm guessing that whatever KE has developed around GMax could be split off from a GMax install. Whether or not KE's license with Autodesk allows this I don't know. Perhaps someone from KE could enlighten us?

However if this turns out to be a solution, perhaps those of us with the interest and bandwidth should go download GMax now while it's still available (legally). (I don't advocate software copyright infringement).

Here's the web site.
http://www.turbosquid.com/

You have to register to use the web site, and you have to register to get a licence key for GMax. I don't know how long this will be available, or what problems you might find. I'm just providing the web page address and some info.

Once you register and log in there is a link to GMax, and tutorials on the following page:
http://www.turbosquid.com/GameTools

From memory once you start the GMax installer it prompts you to visit the web site to obtain a license key. This key only seems to work for a short time (not exactly sure how long...checks your PC's system clock),

So if you can, don't just download it. Install it on the computer you intend to edit your Realflight aircraft on.

I offer this information as is and take no responsibility for any inaccuracy or any damage following these procedures cause.

I get the following message whe I try to download GMax:

"Error

Your file is no longer available for downloading. Please contact us here. "

It would appear that it is no longer available as a download. I would assume I need to download the software, then register it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back