"Airport Request"

500Driver

Hi Everyone,

First, I hope this is the right place to post this...my apologies in advance if it is out of place.

Ok...here goes.

Using 'Alpine Lake' as a base...there is the small power boat by the dock:

Would it be possible to put that boat out in the lake, have the pilot 'spawn' on the boat, and have the aircraft hand launch from the boat? :eek:

I would love to simulate some summer fun...hand launching off our boat that looks almost exactly like the one in G4 :)

Thanks for any help/insight/ideas,
- Don

You could do that, but the boat drifts and the pilot spawn will not. You'll eventually find yourself walking on water as your boat moves away.

If you'd like to try it anyway, it is really easy to do. Just edit the airport and move both the boat (or create another), then move the pilot spawn (or create another as well). Lastly save the airport with a different name.

Thanks

Just messing around the past few minutes.

Getting the "Z" parameter is tricky over the water...not knowing the depth of the water.

My boat starts out 'hovering' and splashed into the lake with a pleasing plop :)

I've got my PT-40 hand launching though

I used the view from the pilot spawn to set the boat. Started at 60' and moved it down til it floated correctly, then added the pilot at the same height.

Edit: Here's mine. I added the boat to a field I'd already edited. There is also a pilot & plane spawn up the hill, so you can also use the trail to the pier as a runway. Taking off & landing with that much of an incline can be a challenge, but is doable.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1208450032.jpg
    ScreenShot1208450032.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Alpine Lake Strip_AP.RFX
    146.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Nice.

I managed to get the pilot and boat to be in the same spot (to start)...and not splash :)

Works pretty well...at least until...like you said...the boat wanders off and 'you' are left there like Jesus :)

Is there a way to change the element properties? For example...make the boat 'fixed'?

I don't think so. The boat is a "Dynamic Scenery Object" meaning it reacts to the environment and you can't edit that characteristic.

On the other hand, many of the other vehicles are "Static Scenery Objects" so you could "float" a pickup out there and then stand rock solid in its bed.

there is a way to turn off the objects ability to respond to physics,
Some objects don't have this option but if they do it will be in the area where you select their proprieties

I made an airport that is based off of alpine lake, It has a boat that has a pilot spawn and will not move even at max wind

Here it Is :)

Attachments

• hand luanch off boat_AP.RFX
    878.2 KB · Views: 2
Back