All issues .048 feed back thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
JACKD said:
Cant use online? Cannot find open ports or somthing? ver. 036 works fine though.....HELP!

same for me i tried to open all ports shut off my fire wall. opened the DMZ and even went as far as pulling the router out of the loop and doing a direct connect. stil cant get Online

Have you called tech support?

Navy_1 said:
same for me i tried to open all ports shut off my fire wall. opened the DMZ and even went as far as pulling the router out of the loop and doing a direct connect. stil cant get Online

ISPs

Navy_1 said:
Hi

Can't prove it, but I suspect some ISPs block port ranges. You might try one of those port scan thingies to see if you are being "seen" on the relevant ports.

https://www.grc.com (not an endorsement)

I'm sure you know it's quite risky to run with no fire wall protection at all for any length of time.

Regards
Michael

I am not real happy with Knife Edge tech support. i have been working on a problem from the time i got the Program that i can not run it in full screen it freezes and gives me a error. i was e-mailing back and forth with them then it just stope and no more replies. i e-mailed them 4 more time on it and still no reply. my last e-mail to them i told them for a program that i payed over 200.00 for i would expect better tech support. I am active duty navy and live in japan so there is a big time diff by time there tech support is open i am sleeping. and at this point its not worth the international call. i should be able to fix this by E-mail but they quit using it. the rest of the sim works good. i have no other problems with other games or sim this is the only one and only after the up date. so i am hopping the communty hear can help

Are you sure that you Don't have the graphics Hard ware settings (resolution \ Refreash Rate Mhz \Vert. sync. ) set to high or incorrectly for your PC? .... for full screen ?
Have you tried the "Restore Defaults" on the launcher ?.
many times even after an upgrade this cures many "problems" try It....
Just a thought

Last edited:
Navy_1 said:
I am not real happy with Knife Edge tech support.
It may be a minor point, but KE does not provide tech support. It is handled by the distributor, Great Planes.

Using .048
I occasionally still randomly lose my interlink and get the "Controller not found" message
and every time I have been checking the task manager and lately
exeplorer is only using between 395 to 500 handles when this occurs
as It was pointed out when i posted a screen shot of my task manager about this(I believe it was the .047 problems thread)
that explorer was using over 10,000 handles at that time and that was a probable reason for the controller "not being found"
obviously this has NOT been the case lately
So some other thing is causing this !!!
ALSO
for some reason every now and then I still get the port test failure error when trying to join MP........IF I reboot my computer everything is fine again for a while????

Last edited:
jeffpn, you were helping me earlier this week with router issues with my .047 version. The Mp was working Monday but now it gives me the same error message as before. I haven't changed a thing and the ports are setup the same with no changes. Got a clue?

I also reboot computer but get the same message.

thanks

Last edited:
Longshot, but you may try unplugging the power from your modem and router to get them to sync up again. Can you post a screenie of your port forward page again?

Edit: Your router may have assigned a new address to your computer. Recheck with ipconfig.

Last edited:
jeffpn said:
Longshot, but you may try unplugging the power from your modem and router to get them to sync up again. Can you post a screenie of your port forward page again?

Edit: Your router may have assigned a new address to your computer. Recheck with ipconfig.

Think I got it now, I checked the ip and it changed again.

Navy_1 said:

I can assure you that the software does work for MP when access to the ports are open.

Try using the tool located at http://www.portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm to check to see if your ports are open. It's free and has proven to be quite helpful in determining if ports are really open or not.

Follow-up with whoever your provider is if your ports come back as blocked even when not using a hardware firewall. DO make the proper exceptions in you Windows or third party software and don't simply turn off your software firewall if connecting directly to the Internet.

Navy_1 said:
I am not real happy with Knife Edge tech support. i have been working on a problem from the time i got the Program that i can not run it in full screen it freezes and gives me a error. i was e-mailing back and forth with them then it just stope and no more replies. i e-mailed them 4 more time on it and still no reply. my last e-mail to them i told them for a program that i payed over 200.00 for i would expect better tech support. I am active duty navy and live in japan so there is a big time diff by time there tech support is open i am sleeping. and at this point its not worth the international call. i should be able to fix this by E-mail but they quit using it. the rest of the sim works good. i have no other problems with other games or sim this is the only one and only after the up date. so i am hopping the communty hear can help

Hey Navy_1,

First, thank you for your service to our country! I would like to say I appreciate you giving your time to make things a little safer here and around the world.

That said, please keep in mind you're posting in a beta version feedback thread about a problem you have had since you purchased the retail product. You may get a faster response if you post a new thread in the 4.5 General discussion area.

Also, make sure that you check to see that the settings configured under the Simulation\Settings\Graphics\Hardware match the capabilities of your video card and display. If these settings are incorrect you may run into problems like the one your describing.

Also, it would be faster and less stressful overall to just call Great Planes support. Even if it is at an odd hour for you, the guys on phone support are VERY helpful. E-mail can take a few days to get a reply but when you're on the phone with someone you are their main focus.

You may also want to do a search on Google to find a hardware diagnostics tool to verify your video card/video memory. RF may be addressing some memory in your card that has gone bad that by chance your other applications aren't using. I had a video card that flaked out on me that seemed to work fine except for when I was using one program. Of course I assumed it was the program. It wasn't until I ran a diagnostic on my computer and it returned an error in video memory that I decided to swap out the card with a cheap card that barely met the specs of the program I was trying to run. Magically, I stopped having the problem. This may not work for you but, if it's been an ongoing problem, it may certainly be worth a try.

Last edited:
js3862 said:
Also, make sure that you check to see that the settings configured under the Simulation\Settings\Graphics\Hardware match the capabilities of your video card and display. If these settings are incorrect you may run into problems like the one your describing.
Wish I had said that.... :confused: ......WAIT A MINUTE!........
Maj. Numbskully said:
Are you sure that you Don't have the graphics Hard ware settings (resolution \ Refreash Rate Mhz \Vert. sync. ) set to high or incorrectly for your PC? .... for full screen ?
BUT back to 048 issues:
I joined Darcmans session today and on the list before going in it said that there were 3 \8 people in the session
When i joined he was the only one there (and he was away from the pc)
so I figured that those other 2 "missing" people were persons that I had not connected to
as it seemed I was there "by myself"
I exited (after all the idea in mp is to fly with other people) ...... and searched for a diff session to join
(noticed darcman still had 3\8 listed)
I then tried to join a different session "Chaz's fun fly"
and upon joining...
It loaded me into Darcmans session AGAIN??? :confused:

Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
Wish I had said that.... :confused:

Me too.

Maj. Numbskully said:
Have you tried the "Restore Defaults" on the launcher ?.
many times even after an upgrade this cures many "problems" try It....
Just a thought

Please take note that while you gave him the names of some settings to evaluate you didn't tell him where they were located nor did you specifically reference the fact that those settings were within RF. Being that he is a pretty new user he might not know where those settings could be found, or that they even existed in RF, and may have believed you were referencing his Windows video settings.

Strange stuff

Hi

Today hosting a 48 MP session I saw a couple of strange things. Boss Hawg joined and my frame rate went down in the teens and 20s. Never seen that before.

Then Mr Cool was in there flying 3D and I wanted to watch his radio. The sticks didn't move. I switched views back to mine and could move the sticks. Back to him - no sticks.

I've also seen people join and leave immdediately, almost too fast to join and leave. Like they were getting dropped before thay actually joined. I'd say maybe they saw who was in there and were too intimidated by my flying skills, but I don't have any...

Regards
Michael

js3862 said:
Me too. Please take note that while you gave him the names of some settings to evaluate you didn't tell him where they were located nor did you specifically reference the fact that those settings were within RF. Being that he is a pretty new user he might not know where those settings could be found, or that they even existed in RF, and may have believed you were referencing his Windows video settings.

EXCUSE ME.....
but the last time I checked
you HAVE TO BE IN the Settings\Graphics\Hardware IN RF
IN order to CHANGE to full screen in the first place !
they are all listed just below "full screen" yes\no
He Obviously already KNOWS were those settings are
IF he's trying to set it to full screen!!!!
does he not?????

Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
EXCUSE ME.....
but the last time I checked
you HAVE TO BE IN the Settings\Graphics\Hardware\Settings IN RF
IN order to CHANGE to full screen in the first place !
He Obviously already KNOWS were those settings are
IF he's trying to set it to full screen!!!!
does he not?????

No, you don't HAVE TO BE IN that menu to go full screen. Pressing Alt+Enter, which is a pretty universal key combination for full screen, is a pretty simple way to not see those settings and go full screen.

You are excused. :)

opjose said:
Issues:

- CTD's with some planes that have bad paths back to their colorscheme's .TGA files.

- Airport editor causing CTD's under some circumstances, and usually loosing work done.

Well attempting to get this thread back on topic....

DDS generation on user created planes seems to often fail with a CTD if the collision mesh is also being generated on the same attempt.

Often when I load a new user created plane ( Inky's New Pogo a case in point ) the first time I'll get a CTD just as the DDS generation starts.

If I subsequently restart G4.5 and try again, the DDS generation works well.

This happens with GREAT CONSISTENCY.

theluthier said:
Then Mr Cool was in there flying 3D and I wanted to watch his radio. The sticks didn't move. I switched views back to mine and could move the sticks. Back to him - no sticks.

Michael Did you have the aircraft he was flting? I have found that if you don't have the aircraft that the other person is flying then you won't be able to see their stick movements. I have noticed this in all versions I have tried to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back