An error has occurred...

jjuneau

I had RF8 HE edition installed and working (Steam version) with WS-1000 wireless dongle, all expansion packs and my Spektrum transmitter.

Fast forward 1 year, I install RF9 (Steam version),throws an error first time I launch the program. Now RF8 and RF9 don't recognize the WS-1000. But that's not my primary issue at the moment...

I kept the old Futaba Interlink controller as a backup. So I removed the WS1000 dongle, plug in the Interlink controller. Now, upon launching RF8 or RF9, it gets further (passes the "No RealFlight hardware found", but then gives me some bogus error message.

I've reached out to tech support with no success. Anyone else experiencing this? I've tried reinstalling both programs with same results.

WS1000-error.jpg

2nd-error.jpg

Last edited:
Did you have the dongle in the usb port when you installed rf9.? The manual states that the interlink Dx had to be plugged in, so I am thinking it has to see the dongle to load the drivers.

Did you have the dongle in the usb port when you installed rf9.? The manual states that the interlink Dx had to be plugged in, so I am thinking it has to see the dongle to load the drivers.

Hm... no I don't think I did.. However, that doesn't explain the install borking up my installation for both versions of RF. Good suggestion though.

Okay, so I took your advice, reinstalled RF9 while the WD1000 dongle was plugged in and linked to my transmitter. Now I no longer get the error first error message about RF hardware not being detected. The simulator attempts to launch, makes it past the loading screen, then pops up the second error message about "an unknown error occurred...."

I'm wondering if this has to do w/ some sort of third party dependency like .NET framework or something that borked both RF8 and RF9. Seriously, no on else is getting this error?

You could try to download the digital version and see if that works. Just use your RF9 serial number for it.

I don't do RF on Steam and have not gotten that error so can't help there .. sorry.

https://www.realflight.com/dlrf9/index.php

Dude, KnifeEdge needs to hire you for their tech support team. Thank you VERY much. I installed the download, no prompt ever came up for a key. Game launched and is working with my WD1000 dongle/Spektrum transmitter.

Thank you bro!

I am getting the same "Unexpected Error". Here is my failed journey so far.
I have full admin rights on the local machine and launched Stream to run as admin.
I am using my InterLink Elite from RF 7.5. It is showing up correctly on my Devices List as an InterLink Elite.
I first installed RF9 through Steam with the Elite plugged in. Launched RF9, got the RF9 banner for a few seconds and then the Error.
Unplugged the Elite to test, launched RF9, it asked for a controller. Plugged Elite back in, relaunched got "Unexpected Error".
Uninstalled, reinstall this time with the Elite unplugged, result was the same problem.
Tried downloading the Installer directly so not launching through Steam. Install and launch was run as admin. Same exact behavior. If Elite is unplugged it asks for a controller. If plugged in "Unexpected Error"
I am about 2 more tries from doing my first ever return on Steam. (frustration vent there)

Thanks to both jjuneau and BrokeDad for posting here so that others can learn from your experience.

Just a follow up in this. I have now tried 3 different controllers. 2-usb Joysticks and my Taranis XD9. They all work and Real Flight runs correctly.
The only thing not working is my InterLink Elite, that they specifically state is supported. (Elite is in working order, works fine on RF 7.5)
I have swapped a couple of Emails with Realflight support. They were stuck in the usual Tech Support line of everything but thier product. (anti-virus, ect….)
For now I have created a profile on my Taranis just for Realflight. You can go out there a pick up a Real Radio for less money than they want for their usb controller.

Last edited:
Back