Anti Aliasing

Screenshots hardly display the difference since AA is done in hardware - after - the frame buffer image has been generated.

When you take a screen shot you are grabbing the frame buffer image WITHOUT AA applied.

But yes no AA and anything above 4x AA is VERY noticeable.

AA shows up in screen grabs...I am using Fraps.

Just my way of saying I hear blah, blah, blah. Sorry, but I hear it too often here from people who clearly don't know what they're doing and refuse to follow simple instructions. This is why your claim means nothing to me, whether you are knowledgeable or not. I will say I have yet to be impressed by anyone who hangs their credentials here. It is completely meaningless, to me anyway, whenever someone states their experience. I'm not saying you are experienced, I'm not saying you're not. I'm saying it doesn't matter to me at all what experience is stated by any member here. It has no affect on credibility for me.

And yes, my views do not reflect the views of management. ;)

Again, I've heard claims like yours many times here. I'm not saying you're not telling the truth, don't get me wrong. What I am saying is that I will never believe somebody here, or give more credence to what they say, because they state their credentials.

But I am tuned in to the main topic in this thread. I am interested.

Another way to put it: truth is not true based on someone's level of experience. The debate on full screen versus windowed mode is going to have one true answer, regardless of whether you were a nine year old programmer or not. Again, it is my intent not to insult you. Whether AA works in windowed mode or not has nothing to do with nine year old programmers. It's either true or it isn't. Combine that with the fact that I've heard many so called experts say something I know is not true, and I find it's easier to determine whether someone knows what they're talking about by what they say about the topic, not by who they say they are.

Oh my. If you want to separate fact from fiction...AA does NOT IN ANY WAY require full screen. There is no debate in this topic...if you must press further I can show you countless examples.

I'm not saying a specific game (like RealFlight) may not disable AA in windowed, but that is an engine limitation. There is nothing inherently preventing AA from working in windowed mode...many games support it.

There is no debate in this topic...if you must press further I can show you countless examples.
First part of the statement is true, as for the second this is a RealFlight forum and only one example is relevant. If there is a AA setting that is being incorrectly used (or not used) by the program, then that is relevant and KnifeEdge does listen.

Although more than likely it is a conscious decision on KnifEdge's part. They designed the Windowed mode to be "dumbed down" and not put as much stress of low end systems. One of the first things customer support tells people that are having problems is to go into Windowed mode.

Last edited:
Hopefully that gives you a clue at the general level of frustration I feel from people who drag their certifications here. I find it easier to disregard that part. More often than not, it's the right thing to do.

I have to say that it is always the "most knowledgeable and experienced" people that have the most problems with simple things in real flight. Why is that. I fully believe that you have experience in programming. I have no reason to not believe you, but it's odd that I have no such credentials and I can always figure out problems that occur along the way. Sometimes you just have to take comments from those most familiar with the software at face value. I'd say turn on 32xAA and hit alt+enter to go legit full screen. If it improves problem solved if not the problem is beyond the scope of discussion here. I hope you get it figured out.

First shot=no AA not full screen
Second shot=no AA full screen
Third shot= 24xAA not full screen
Fourth shot= 24xAA full screen

Results: Anti aliasing only works in full screen where RF is concerned.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1362607996.jpg
    ScreenShot1362607996.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 17
  • ScreenShot1362608019.jpg
    ScreenShot1362608019.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 17
  • ScreenShot1362608448.jpg
    ScreenShot1362608448.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 17
  • ScreenShot1362608464.jpg
    ScreenShot1362608464.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 19
First off, this is not even about full-screen...I always do that.

Second, there is NOTHING, NOTHING preventing an application from using AA in windowed...get a KnifeEdge dev to say otherwise...it is ridiculous.

Windowed mode is not a "dumbed down" version...if done right the game engine knows no difference, it is just writing to a framebuffer which gets rendered...just happens to be a portion of the screen instead of all of it. Of course it will be slower b/c other bits of the desktop are also rendered, but many game play in windowed w/full fidelity just fine.

Last edited:
Boof, thank you. Do you have an NVidia or AMD card?

*Edit*
"Results: Anti aliasing only works in full screen where RF is concerned. "

Not sure why you concluded that...AA is clearly in effect on the 24x windowed mode.

Last edited:
I had to bump down the graphics setting to 1280x720 in order to see a difference between AA and no AA. I couldn't tell a significant difference at 1920x1080. See filenames for which is which.

Attachments

• FullScreenNoAA.jpg
    FullScreenNoAA.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 8
  • FullScreenAA.jpg
    FullScreenAA.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 8
  • WindowedNoAA.jpg
    WindowedNoAA.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 8
  • WindowedAA.jpg
    WindowedAA.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Well then jeffpn, we can agree that AA does work in windowed mode then, right? (not that it was really in question).

Just saw your edit...you have both FXAA on and normal AA..FXAA will blur the entire screen (including instruments)...it is a "poor mans" AA and not necessary if you have the rig for regular AA.

Yes, we can agree. :rolleyes:

Your credentials still have nothing to do with the fact that AA works for me. Have you got it to work for you yet? That was your original question!

Just saw your edit...you have both FXAA on and normal AA..FXAA will blur the entire screen (including instruments)...it is a "poor mans" AA and not necessary if you have the rig for regular AA.
As stated in that same post, I can't tell a difference between AA and no AA at the native resolution, anyway. In theory, if you had a screen with an infinite number of pixels, you would have no need for AA at all. So the question becomes, where is the point of diminishing returns?

I have AA on, but it's hard for me to see a difference with or without it at 1920x1080.

Back