Any suggestions?

Boof69

I'm looking for a new project. Preferably an RC model. Something from the 90's and up maybe. I feel like the well may be drying for popular models so off beat models are welcome.

I have been begging for this one :)

Bristol M-1

I requested a model of a Bristol M-1 in post #1455 - request aircraft here thread. There was so much going on at the time no one ever took on the model. The Bristol is a Balsa USA kit and makes a terrific flyer. One of the most interesting parts of the model is the transparent wing panels near the cockpit to give the pilot the ability to see below the plane. One of my flying buddies put a K&B .60 in his Bristol and it flew like a pattern plane until the wing snapped. An OS .40 4-strole makes this model putt-putt just fine.

Here is a large size plan: http://andy29847.smugmug.com/Other/RD-photos/i-m5d3FT9/0/O/Bristol-M1C-1.jpg

Here is a 3 view:
bristol_m_1_bullet-18046.jpg

Full size example:
brown%20bristol-S.jpg

Here is the one I built in the late 80's:
ww1-S.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Boof,

Thought I would throw something out there since there haven't been too many other suggestions (sorry it's not a 90's or newer kit)

I have an old Sig Liberty Sport kit that I purchased from a good customer's widow a year or so back. I don't know much about the Sig kit or the full scale (yes it's modeled after an actual aircraft) From the little bit I've read the fullscale was built from parts from up to 17 other aircraft, with the wings being fully redesigned by the original builders of the Liberty Sport.

I'd have to look, but I think my kit is around a 57" - 60" wingspan. This is typically smaller than the planes I like to build / fly, but I thought it looked like an interesting kit at the time I purchased it.

Attached are a mix of pictures I pulled off the net of models, fullscale and some kit plans. (I should compare these plans with my Sig plans to see if they are indeed the same ones)

Attachments

• Lib-sport1.jpg
    Lib-sport1.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 6
  • LIB-SPORT2.jpg
    LIB-SPORT2.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Ig12583.jpg
    Ig12583.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Rw58224.jpg
    Rw58224.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 339552.jpg
    339552.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 7
pplace said:
Hey Boof,

Thought I would throw something out there since there haven't been too many other suggestions (sorry it's not a 90's or newer kit)

I have an old Sig Liberty Sport kit that I purchased from a good customer's widow a year or so back. I don't know much about the Sig kit or the full scale (yes it's modeled after an actual aircraft) From the little bit I've read the fullscale was built from parts from up to 17 other aircraft, with the wings being fully redesigned by the original builders of the Liberty Sport.

I'd have to look, but I think my kit is around a 57" - 60" wingspan. This is typically smaller than the planes I like to build / fly, but I thought it looked like an interesting kit at the time I purchased it.

Attached are a mix of pictures I pulled off the net of models, fullscale and some kit plans. (I should compare these plans with my Sig plans to see if they are indeed the same ones)
This one is definitely a possibility. Although someone PMed me about a 50% single seater Spacewalker with loads of detail. I'm not sure yet but I will get to the Liberty after the Spacewalker if not instead.

andy29847 said:
Bristol M-1

I requested a model of a Bristol M-1 in post #1455 - request aircraft here thread. There was so much going on at the time no one ever took on the model. The Bristol is a Balsa USA kit and makes a terrific flyer. One of the most interesting parts of the model is the transparent wing panels near the cockpit to give the pilot the ability to see below the plane. One of my flying buddies put a K&B .60 in his Bristol and it flew like a pattern plane until the wing snapped. An OS .40 4-strole makes this model putt-putt just fine.

Here is a large size plan: http://andy29847.smugmug.com/Other/RD-photos/i-m5d3FT9/0/O/Bristol-M1C-1.jpg

Here is a 3 view:
bristol_m_1_bullet-18046.jpg

Full size example:
brown%20bristol-S.jpg

Here is the one I built in the late 80's:
ww1-S.jpg
If no one gets to this one before I do I'd be happy to do it.

Skymasters Viper Jet

Hey Boof69, in case you are still taking suggestions... Been interested in the Skymasters Viper Jet... Was not able to find perfect 3views, but I think I managed to get find some good pics.. (hopefully, there good enough.. here are the specs, followed by some pics.. Thank you!!!

--Length: 95 " (2400mm)/ Wingspan: 102' (2600mm); including winglets
--Power: 28~37Lb (12~17kg) thrust
--Dry Weight : 36Lbs (16-16.5kg)

Attachments

• Viper Jet Top.jpg
    Viper Jet Top.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Viper Jet Top 3.jpg
    Viper Jet Top 3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Viper Jet Right wing top angle.jpg
    Viper Jet Right wing top angle.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Viper Jet Right.jpg
    Viper Jet Right.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Viper Jet Bottom.jpg
    Viper Jet Bottom.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 10
few more pics

some more pics... Also have a few more, if interested..

Attachments

• Viper Jet Bottom Wing.jpg
    Viper Jet Bottom Wing.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Viper Jet Elevator.jpg
    Viper Jet Elevator.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Viper Jet Top Right.jpg
    Viper Jet Top Right.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Viper Jet Fuse 2.jpg
    Viper Jet Fuse 2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Viper Jet Left Front painted.jpg
    Viper Jet Left Front painted.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 4
I would need 3 views or straight on shots to do it any justice. It looks pretty sweet. :cool:

FMA IA 58 Pucará

Thought I'd through this out there.

The FMA IA 58 Pucará (Quechua: Fortress) is an Argentine ground-attack and counter-insurgency (COIN) aircraft. It is a low-wing two-turboprop-engined all-metal monoplane with retractable landing gear, manufactured by the Fábrica Militar de Aviones.

All pictures have been shrunk due to file limits. (I have very large files available)

I actually saw this at Duxford in the UK and have a couple pic's of my own. The UK captured a couple during the Falklands war and restored one of them back to flying condition. (The camo one in the museum shot)

Jet looks with turbo prop power..............

In my research, I have seen R/C replica's.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 42941_1245536494.jpg
    42941_1245536494.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 20
  • imgp4792-fma-ia-58a-pucara-a-515-v-cn-018.jpg
    imgp4792-fma-ia-58a-pucara-a-515-v-cn-018.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 10973_7775.jpg
    10973_7775.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 9
  • FMA_IA_58_Pucara_by_bagera3005.jpg
    FMA_IA_58_Pucara_by_bagera3005.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 10
  • fma-ia-58-pucara.jpg
    fma-ia-58-pucara.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I will be doing Flex's PM suggested single seat Spacewalker.
I like all these suggestions and will work through them each in turn.
I'm always looking for interesting projects. Everyone's welcome to keep adding to this thread. Thanks for all the replies.

detail shmetail... fancy cockpits using up polygons only makes your G5.5 "game" experience better. You have some great skills... try something else for a change. Go WWI and make the guy wires. Test skills with bump maps for the ribs... rib stitching. The are more details in a WWI plane than any jet can shake a stick at. I've made all sorts of planes in my day. The detail crazy heads fly WWI. Bill, you know what I'm saying. Gary built that pup like it came off the assembly line direct from Sopwith. I've never made a WWI plane for RF for one reason... it scares the piss out of me. Making one in real life was tough enough for me.

Take it for what its worth.

I would do a WWI model if I knew of one that hasn't been done. I do research, but usually after I get an interest for the model I'm doing. I don't know much about the old birds. Maybe if I got some help in that area I churn one out, or try at least.

There are litterally tens if not hundreds of these old time planes that have not been done. Lots of parasol planes come to mind such as the aviatik 30.40 or Morane L. Then there are others like the Bristol F2b and Martinsyde Elephant. There are tons of really pretty aircraft. You may have to think outside your typical artistic preference on them though. I've always been a WWII buff. When I spotted the O1 Tummelisa I fell in love and have been obsessed ever since.

I would suggest you take a look at what Peter Rake has at menzano lazer and the repertoire over at AerodromeRC. Those are great starting points to try and find what your preference is and get into the style. You may find yourself turned off completely.

Boof69 said:
I would do a WWI model if I knew of one that hasn't been done. I do research, but usually after I get an interest for the model I'm doing. I don't know much about the old birds. Maybe if I got some help in that area I churn one out, or try at least.

Just click on the pics. all info is provided in pics.

Attachments

• Crimson Skies- Albatross.jpg
    Crimson Skies- Albatross.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Crimson Skies- Albatross views.jpg
    Crimson Skies- Albatross views.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
1927 Boeing FB-5 Hawk

1927 Boeing FB-5 Hawk
Oldest Boeing Fighter in Existence

On Jan 25, 2005 the San Diego Aerospace Museum added a Boeing FB-5 fighter to its displays. The rare FB-5, owned by Mr. George Rice of Monroe, Utah, will be on loan to the Museum for one year, with its status beyond that to be determined at a future date. It is proudly displayed in the Museum's Golden Age of Flight Gallery.

The aircraft was restored by Mr. Rice with parts from two other FB-5s, one of which flew off the US Navy’s first aircraft carrier, USS Langley, based in San Diego in the 1920s. It is one of only two restored FB-5s remaining in the world. The other is at the National Air and Space Museum’s Udvar-Hazy Center in Virginia.

Attachments

• sd-aerospace-200602-012.jpg
    sd-aerospace-200602-012.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 20
Back