ATI Graphics Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NigelR

I am currently running RFD with an ATI Radeon 32ddr on an 800 Athlon (runs smoothly up to 1280*1024, min 40fps). I was intending to purchase the G2 upgrade but I have just seen the note on the knifeedge site that this is not a recommended card. Which drivers have you tried? (Do I really have to go and buy a geforce card!)

Current Drivers are;

"3056" the official ATI public release drivers.
"3063" the 'special release' drivers on the ATI site that are unsupported.

"7041" which are only on the MS drivers site, are 'certified by MS' but not on the ATI site!
These drivers are supposed to be DX8.

Thanks for any info

(I tried to post this under 'graphics', but kept getting the message that I was not registered to post there)

I just posted a very similar question on the graphics website before reading this post; hopefully someone will answer...

We will soon be re-testing the Radeon with our products using the latest drivers we can find as well as providing the final RealFlight to ATI on Monday so that they can re-verify the problems for themselves. We have been providing BETA versions of our software to them all along.

Well my G2 upgrade arrived today....eagerly put it in the drive (I had tested the Beta DX8 drivers with several DX8 Demo games)..and thought it would at least run. But all I get is the menuboxes followed by a blank screen and an hour glass, The machine is then locked up...ah well it was worth a try, I suppose a new Geforce card it is then! (and to think G2 was running on an old TNT 1 in the model shop..)

doh.... :(

Its working!

Not sure what combination got it to work...

Down loaded the latest upgrade to G2

Reverted back to the 'special purpose drivers'(3063) on the ATI web site.. and I see the loading screens for the first time!. I believe these display drivers are dx7, but at least they work.

With the Beta dx8 drivers (7041) (www.rage3d.com) the menus would appear but the main part of the display would remain white (the music would start or the machine would just hang with the hour glass showing..a couple of time I could hear the heli running but see nothing...Maybe ATI will bring out some full dx8 drivers.......sometime.

Nigel, sorry to hear about the radeon. I guess I will return mine then. Now, which geforce?? I asked this question on the rage3d forum and got flamed :)

Well I am now very impressed. G2 just looks great on the ATI Radeon now its working. I hammered the program for two hours solid and no hangs.

Nigel,

What direct 3d settings/drivers are you using to make g2 work with the RADEON? I am having problems - only getting the white screen. I have another computer with a tnt2 ultra, so at least I've been able to play with the program; it's awesome. But, I'd like to get it working on my main rig which has the radeon and a big monitor.
thanks!

ATI Customer "Service"

Have an ATI All-in-wonder PCI w/ 32M RAM (Rage 128 chip) and although G2 runs great with the latest DirectX 8, I experience a couple anomolies that can only be explained by out of date drivers. The latest drivers from ATI for this card are months old - obviously not able to handle DirectX 8. I also have received a long stream of canned responses from ATI when requesting new drivers. They don't even have special purpose drivers for my card (only the offical released ones), which might actually help your situation.
If there is a company out there that gives worse customer service than ATI, I sure haven't dealt with them. The card is very good, but the after purchase support is horrible.
Amnybody at Knife Edge/Hobbico had any luck with ATI?

Thanks to NigelR's advice, I got the radeon working with g2 - all it took was switching back to the 3063 drivers. The program looks fantastic on the radeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back