Ati igp graphics problems

C

crazyjoe

My father is running a compaq presario 2100 with an athlon 2400+ with 512 meg ddr, ati 320m igp, win xp pro sp2 and the latest ati drivers as of 12/15/04. The game is installed and fully updated as of 12/15/04. When you try to start the game up and play you get a bunch of errors: "error creating grass billboards", "error creating effect tree billboards" and a few others dealing with "quadgroup_billboard2axis_facecamera plane" and "quadgroup_billboard2axis_face camera point" The closet thing I have found listed in the forums to this issue is regarding another ati agp graphics card and that ends 2 links down the line with a dead link to the rage3d.com site. I know this is by no means a gaming machine but this game is by no means doom 3 and the card more than meets min sys requirements. Any body have any ideas?

The message "error creating effect GrassBillboards" is a pretty good indicator that the graphics card doesn't support some features that G3 needs to run.

A list of tested graphics cards is available here

Travis

Last edited:
Hi crazyjoe.

I was having the exact same errors as you posted and the fix for my PC was another video card. The card that would not work with Gee3 is an ATI Radeon All In Wonder AGP 32 meg DDR card. I bought an ATI Radeon 9200 AGP 128 DDR card and now Gee3 runs fine. I bought my new card at Office Depot for $99.00 with a $15.00 rebate.

Radeon Drivers

Here are the features the card supports, from what i can tell it is of the radeon family and has direct x 9 support and all the features of other radeon cards. The computer will run games such as Knights of the Old Republic and Neverwinter Nights with out any problems (Not at highest settings but they run fine). As for upgrading the video card, If were not a laptop i would have done that right off i have a couple of spair geforce 4 cards around. I would really like to be able to get the game running on the laptop so he can hook it up to his big screen tv in the living room.

http://www.ati.com/products/radeonigp/features.html

The card may be DirectX 9 compatible, but it does not support all of the features of DX9. We use some of those features, and that is why you are getting the error.

Travis

ATI 9800 All In Wonder

I am now getting between 100 to 170 FPS now ~VBS~
is this possible? :p anyways GEEEEE THREE is wonderful!
Jeff

I know it doesn't work, but...

I understand the ATI IGP cards are not capable of running G3 right now, However my question is, whether or not any patches will be made that will be allow G3 to run on the ATI 320m IGP? I'd hate to think i have a useless program just because of a few issues with a video card.

To be sure my question is understood properly:
Will a patch be released in the future that allows G# to be run on the ATI 320M Intigrated graphics adapter?

Thanks,

Dave

Will a patch be released in the future that allows G# to be run on the ATI 320M Intigrated graphics adapter?
I do not know the answer to this. At this time, I don't believe we are making any efforts to support this particular card.

Travis

Please expand support!

How about a patch for ATI Radeon 7500? Some of us need to make this work on laptops - and we can't change video cards. I can understand the lack of support for older cards, but this one is relatively new, has worked flawlessy on previous versions, and appears to be DirectX 9 compatible as far as a lay person can tell.

I believe that almost every card/driver that has problems with G3 does not support some feature of DX9 that G3 uses.

Travis

So what are we to do? Hold out for KE to patch this problem, or throw in the towel? I don't want to waste time checking these discussion boards every day if it is unlikely that this incompatibility is going to be resolved.

Last edited:
I suspect that we will _not_ release a patch for older graphics cards that do not support the complete DirectX 9 feature set. If we do add a graphics card to the supported list, I would hope that Ryan would add it to the list of supported cards here.

Travis

I have the Ati Radeon IGP 320m and i know it supports DirectX 9. I have DirectX 9c and i run the Half Life 2 engine fine. The graphics for that are just stunning. I have no dought that G3 will run on my laptop with the graphics card i have. The games i have played so far have been supported by this card so i feel confident. What version drivers do u have? I got 6.14.0010.6436. You know you can get a lot of your computers info by going to start/run/dxdiag. Just something to say. What kind of Computer are you running your 320m on? Ill try and help find drivers if needed.

The IGP (or Integrated Graphics Processors) are pretty brain dead cards.

They are used by OEM's to offer low cost but still somewhat 3D capable devices, usually for Laptops but rarely on Desktop units.

The ATI offerings run the gamut.

Almost all utilize a "shared memory scheme" (phew!) so the total amount of RAM available, the speed of the processor and the amount of shared ram that you've allocated to video, have huge effects.

HL2 will run on these cards, with many effects turned OFF by default. That is HL2 itself detects the capabilities of the device and disables those enhancements which the IGP chips do not support. In spite, or because of this, you can still get decent frame rates out of HL2 on a laptop provided the rest of the equipment is up to snuff. However particle effects, specular lights, etc. go away, which many people don't notice.

Now all of that said, people here report being able to run G3 on the 320m just fine... so some suggestions:

a) Increase the amount of RAM allocated to video to the MAXIMUM your machine supports.

b) Because this RAM is borrowed from main memory, having 512megs or MORE is a must!

c) A fast processor is helpful.

d) If G3 is throwing errors, you may have vestiges of OEM or older ATI drivers laying around which will cause conflicts.

Try Googling for the "Nasty File Remover". Grab and install it.

Download the LATEST drivers for your ATI board.

AVOID THOSE FROM THE MANUFACTURER OF YOUR LAPTOP!!!!

These are usually way out of date.

Check out places like laptopvideo2go.com, etc. for "patches" to the latest drivers, to get them to install on your laptop if needed.

Once you have the latest drivers ready to go...

Uninstall your existing drivers and reboot your system (it will come up in VGA mode).

Terminate any attempts to re-install the vide drivers, and run the "Nasty File Remover" to delete any ATI video drivers, infs, etc. you may have laying around.

Run the Directx9c redistributable file (yes again, just in case) and then install the updated drivers.

Reboot and try again.

Usually if programs such as HL2 will run on your machine, so will G3.

I'm not sure why this thread was brought back from the dead, but we added support for the IGP 320/340/345M cards with the 3.00.410 update.

I have DirectX 9c and i run the Half Life 2 engine fine
This does not mean that your graphics card is DirectX 9 compliant. HL2 only requires DirectX 7. Just having DirectX 9c runtimes installed does not make your graphics card DX9 compliant either.

Travis

Back