B-17 Flying Fortress

von thats a great looking cs please put it on swaps. and if your interested could you make a memphis belle cs.
sorry couldent get better picture but you can find 3 views some where.

Attachments

• memphis-belle-poster.jpg
    memphis-belle-poster.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
varient

heres my varient i hope to post on swaps but for now just try it out tell me what needs fixed or worked on. :D

Attachments

• Boeing B-17f fullscale 150 mph_AV.G3X
    21.8 KB · Views: 9
Cowboy said:
I don't have a clue what you're talking about. I never even saw that post. Oh well, no worries :D
you know something is wierd with this thread
I to had a Post here ...... that is now also gone???
are there 2 B-17 threads?
anyway in that post I said ....".Good ...I'm working on a "Memphis Belle" CS as we speak"
in fact came back to this thread to say i was almost done with it .....I'm trying to make it as "scale" as possible and removing some of the old graphics is time consuming as Im trying to retain all of the panel lines vonfife put into it (nice job by the way )
hears a sneak peek............

Attachments

• ScreenShot881.jpg
    ScreenShot881.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
There is actually 2 B-17 threads. 1 in the 3.5 designers corner and this one. maybe that's the problem, but I'm not sure

Yes, keep going. If you PM me your e-mail, I will send you the psd. so you don't have to worry about preserving the details and just layout a scheme. I just need to organize it and delete unnecessary layers before I send it off.

wow numbskully that cs looks great thanks for making it. oh ya this is for g4 isnt it please have some one convert it to 3.5 if you have to. im not sure on color scemes if you need to convert them.

If that is the case I may have some Good news :) and Bad news :( for you
First the good news...... :)
yes it could and it would have to be converted it to a g3x file
as 3.5 wont import a rfx file
I can only export a rfx file
but I know some one who can (or I'm sure there are many others here who can)
and I'll ask him to
he has converted one of my C.S.'s to a g3x file before
Now the bad news....... :(
IT may NOT help you in the first place...............
because you need cowboy (or someone with cowboys PERMISSION) to convert\export the
Boeing B-17EA rfx as a g3x file in the first place?
as Cowboys B-17 is also an rfx file......it is also "Un"-Importable into G3.5 !!
but that's a Question ONLY Cowboy can answer.... as It Is HIS "baby"

Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
If that is the case I may have some Good news :) and Bad news :( for you
First the good news...... :)
yes it could and it would have to be converted it to a g3x file
as 3.5 wont import a rfx file
I can only export a rfx file
but I know some one who can (or I'm sure there are many others here who can)
and I'll ask him to
he has converted one of my C.S.'s to a g3x file before
Now the bad news....... :(
IT may NOT help you in the first place...............
because you need cowboy (or someone with cowboys PERMISSION) to convert\export the
Boeing B-17EA rfx as a g3x file in the first place?
as Cowboys B-17 is also an rfx file......it is also "Un"-Importable into G3.5 !!
but that's a Question ONLY Cowboy can answer.... as It Is HIS "baby"
If you don't mind once the scheme is done I'm able to convert it to 3.5 since obviously I still have both 3.5 and 4.5. I'd be more than happy to do that since it would take me all of 2 or 3 minutes and then send it back to be added to swaps

Sure cowboy no problem...... the more the merrier
So should I just post the rfx C.S to swaps when I'm done? I'm still working on it ...I want it to be a good one......... not half ^$$.... also waiting for vonfifes e-mail ...but I still have other things to do while I wait :D

Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
Sure cowboy no problem...... the more the merrier
So should I just post the rfx C.S to swaps when I'm done? I'm still working on it ...I want it to be a good one......... not half ^$$.... also waiting for vonfifes e-mail ...but I still have other things to do while I wait :D
Yeah, just post it on swaps and I'll grab it from there to convert it over for 3.5. Thanks for the addition to the B-17 :D

I've been working on a quarter scale variant based off this model and am almost done. A couple of things that I noticed about the plane have me a bit confused so I hope someone can help.

There are 4 radials that stay with the fuselage after a crash, say you knock the wings off you will see the main fuselage with the 4 radials out where the engines used to be. For now to hide them I've made them engines with no power and a very small visual scale but seems strange to do that.

There seems to be a link between the engines and the main fuselage as well. If you were to knock the wings off in a way that one of more of the engines keeps running, then the fuselage moves around on the ground like a torpedo.

The turrets have there own mesh but don't seem to collide with anything, they just disappear into the ground and don't come loose even if you change the strength down all the way.

I'll be glad to post the variant but the current base model exhibits the same behaviors. Granted none of these affect the flight or overall look of the model which I think awesome, there are just some oddities that would be nice to clear up.

Spuds said:
I've been working on a quarter scale variant based off this model and am almost done. A couple of things that I noticed about the plane have me a bit confused so I hope someone can help.

Spuds said:
There are 4 radials that stay with the fuselage after a crash, say you knock the wings off you will see the main fuselage with the 4 radials out where the engines used to be. For now to hide them I've made them engines with no power and a very small visual scale but seems strange to do that.

The original creator of the file (Cowboy) must not have linked the radials to the nacelles (or the wings) but instead linked them all the the fuse.

I'm not sure why you needed to make the engines with no power? The visual engines have no actual "thrust". I'm not following what or how you made them visually smaller? You shouldn't be able to change any visual aspects of the model without the original 3D file? Are you referring to the "wire frame visual"?

Spuds said:
There seems to be a link between the engines and the main fuselage as well. If you were to knock the wings off in a way that one of more of the engines keeps running, then the fuselage moves around on the ground like a torpedo.

See above explanation.

Spuds said:
The turrets have there own mesh but don't seem to collide with anything, they just disappear into the ground and don't come loose even if you change the strength down all the way.

Yes the turrets are separate ~CS components. They need to be in order to move or rotate. They are missing a ~CS_COLL (collision mesh) component. As you say it really isn't needed...but in order for a part to break off or be affected by the ground or another object it needs a collision mesh. This can only be added if you have the original 3D file.

Spuds said:
I'll be glad to post the variant but the current base model exhibits the same behaviors. Granted none of these affect the flight or overall look of the model which I think awesome, there are just some oddities that would be nice to clear up.

You'd have to ask Cowboy to make the necessary changes to his original file. I'm not even sure if Cowboy is around any more....I don't remember seeing any posts from him lately?

I'm not sure why you needed to make the engines with no power? The visual engines have no actual "thrust". I'm not following what or how you made them visually smaller? You shouldn't be able to change any visual aspects of the model without the original 3D file? Are you referring to the "wire frame visual"?

In an attempt to do something with the radials and not just have them hanging out in space on a wing that used to be there, I defined them as engines as a child of the main airframe.

Since I used engines I made them zero torque, put on a small prop and used the prop visual scale setting. Don't know if this was the best thing to do, or if its really that effective to be honest, but I don't 'see them' after a crash now. Yes as the fuselage torpedos along the ground you can see the now hidden radials kick up dirt but you don't see the part.

Hopefully Cowboy will see this message and feel motivated to make the changes to the models hierarchy.

Last edited:
Here is the current state of the giant scale variant, feedback on improvements are welcome!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Throttle
Ailerons (w/ differentials)
Elevator
Rudder

Guns / Fire - Controlled by the 3-position switch on the top left of the InterLink controller.
Forward Position = Off
Middle Position = Gun fire (with sound) from the turrets which of course pivot so you can shoot in various directions and elevations.
Rear Position = All 4 engines on fire, assuming they are still running.

Brakes- Just pull back on the throttle, they are active low to high on the last 20% of stick throw.

Retracts - Controlled by the 2-position switch on the top right of the InterLink controller.

Flaps - Controlled by the rotary knob on the InterLink Controller.

Dual Rates - Controlled by the 2-position switch located on the front left of the InterLink controller. They affect rudder, aileron and elevator functions.

Exhaust output is a function of engine RPM as are engine fires.

Changed the torque curve for the Moli 250cc so it spins the prop at the correct RPM at WOT.

Several other tweaks, cant remember them all that this point ...

Attachments

• Boeing B-17 STC QTR Scale_AV.RFX
    54.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Hey guys, yes I'm still around (sort of). With my daughter growing up rapidly, I get pretty much no time at all to do anything with RF. I also just bought a new computer yesterday and haven't had a chance to load any of my stuff into it. It'd probably be a lot of time before I can get back to redoing anything on the fortress. Especially since the fact of I've started 2 or 3 other bombers since the release of the B-17. If there's a "minor" problem with the B-17 such as the ones I've seen mentioned, I wouldn't worry to much about it. After all, do you really like looking at a busted model on the ground or would you rather be flying it in one piece?

Back