B-29 with X-1

rjmanzuk

Anyone else see this one? Replete with R/C payload dropped, rocketed, and flown, followed by a couple of parachutists, and finally a B-29 doing some things no-one would have ever thought of doing back in the days when the B-29 was operational.
http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv
This guy is a good scale builder and pilot. anyone know him? Maybe we can figure out how to evolve the B-29s in G3.5 to do what his model does? :cool:

That's Mac Hodges. He fly's demos at events all over the country. I saw him at Top Gun last year. Definatley one of the most impressive RC performances I've ever seen.

Mike

Attachments

• B-29_1_sm.JPG
    B-29_1_sm.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
rjmanzuk said:
Maybe we can figure out how to evolve the B-29s in G3.5 to do what his model does? :cool:

Pretty easy edit. I just increased the throws and made the flaps operate as ailerons (full span). Seems to do just about anything Mac's does. Except the X-1 of course. :)

Attachments

• B-29 Hover.jpg
    B-29 Hover.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 97
Wellllll ...

thejohnchapman said:
Some people have WAY too much time . . and money . . and (well) talent.
Two out of three ain't too bad ... sure wish I had a little talent. :p

Thank you for sharing that link! That is awesome. I would love to see this gent fly that plane sometime.

MikeF said:
Pretty easy edit. I just increased the throws and made the flaps operate as ailerons (full span). Seems to do just about anything Mac's does. Except the X-1 of course. :)

The bomber in the video never "hovers".

The pilot is merely performing hammerheads.

This Bomber DOES HOVER! He can slave the outboard engines to the rudder. By the way..the b-29 wieghs in at 100 lbs.,has a 20' span, pneumatic brakes, and Four ZDZ 80s at 8 1/4 hp a piece swinging custom made 26" 4 blade props.That is Mac Hodges, owner Of hodges hobbies in Andersonville GA. www.hodgeshobbies.com The 29 was built by his good friend Dan Stevens.They are known worldwide for that bomber and their demos that they put on at every event they go to(and that is a lot) The video is actually shot at hodges hobbies which is my home field(8 minutes away and THE BEST flying field in the U.S.) during The Southeast Electric Flight Festival, The "worlds largest electric flight event"! And it is coming up April 26-29 2007 so, If you have never been, come on down and watch the Bomber "hover" in person. :D Check out www.koolflightsystems.com for info on SEFF

I think we may be able to get something similar to this in G3.5 - we won't be able to control the X-1, of course, but if someone with all the necessary programs and skill can design an X-1 as part of the B-29, I think we can probably get it to drop on command. I have a B-29 equipped with a droppable bomb that, after some tweaking, works almost perfectly on .033 - we'll see what happens when I upgrade. Sorry, I don't remember where I downloaded the model - I am considering posting it to the swap pages, but only after I perfect it for .044. The bomb is simply a low-strength wing with a control surface - deflect this control surface and the increased air loads cause the "wing" to break away from the aircraft. I envision the X-1 could be similar, but would include a fuselage and stabilizers so it could glide down rather than tumbling.

Thanks for the link, by the way - awesome models and impressive flying!

Attachments

• Boeing B-29 with bomb drop.recording
    180.7 KB · Views: 51
alaskaflyer said:
I think we may be able to get something similar to this in G3.5 - we won't be able to control the X-1, of course, but if someone with all the necessary programs and skill can design an X-1 as part of the B-29, I think we can probably get it to drop on command. I have a B-29 equipped with a droppable bomb that, after some tweaking, works almost perfectly on .033 - we'll see what happens when I upgrade. Sorry, I don't remember where I downloaded the model - I am considering posting it to the swap pages, but only after I perfect it for .044. The bomb is simply a low-strength wing with a control surface - deflect this control surface and the increased air loads cause the "wing" to break away from the aircraft. I envision the X-1 could be similar, but would include a fuselage and stabilizers so it could glide down rather than tumbling.

Thanks for the link, by the way - awesome models and impressive flying!
I have been working on a B-29 with X-1 for ages now but for some reason i could never get it to work properly(retracts didn't work and the flaps didn't work and the engines were off line)I have the model all ready to go with X-1 on the bottom and i was trying to make it possible to control the x-1 after launch by way of transfering control from the B-29 to the X-1.It is possible in theory as i have spoken to a few of the KE boys who said with skillful mixing it was definately possible.I will have another look at the model and maybe post it if i can get everything working okay.

Attachments

• B-29 with X-1.jpg
    B-29 with X-1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 59
  • B-29 with X-1 a.jpg
    B-29 with X-1 a.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 86
evan said:
how is that x-1 getting power

is it a pusher prop , ducted fan or does it just glide down

Are you talking about Macs? If so...
It is Rocket powered just like the real one. If I remember right...G or F series rocket! :eek: It glides down like it's just gonna land then at the last second Dan lights her up!!!! It always scares the doo doo out of folks who have never seen it! :D Oh yeah...that inverted pass on the deck is not on the deck. It was windy that day and Mac was playing it safe! The rudder is usually about 8 inches off the ground! :eek:

inky00 said:
I have been working on a B-29 with X-1 for ages now but for some reason i could never get it to work properly(retracts didn't work and the flaps didn't work and the engines were off line)I have the model all ready to go with X-1 on the bottom and i was trying to make it possible to control the x-1 after launch by way of transfering control from the B-29 to the X-1.It is possible in theory as i have spoken to a few of the KE boys who said with skillful mixing it was definately possible.I will have another look at the model and maybe post it if i can get everything working okay.
Ever get those retracts fixed? looks great!

I have an idea on how to control the X-1. You could put a gyro in it so when you release it, it will start hovering and you can land the B-29, flip a switch and start flying the X-1! You would have to release the X-1 vertically though...

Back