Bad RF9 DVD - Solution

TomC

I bought the RF9 combo DVD version (2x DVD's) w/ InterLink DX controller from HH. I tried multiple times to install this but it always hangs after a partial installation. I never actually got to where it would ask me to insert Disk #2. I did notice a slight blemish/bubble on this disk. I gave it a good clean with a microfiber cloth but this did not make any difference.

I finally ended up following the quick start instructions for people without DVD drives. This required downloading the RF9 download version from the RF website shown on the quick start manual that was included with the DVD's.

To make a long story short, this worked fine and I was able to register and update RF9 no problem using my DVD serial #'s.

I contacted RF support and ask them for a replacement disk and they told me I needed to ship the damaged DVD's back to them and they would replace them. I told them;

Hmm, not really too happy about needing to do this, esp. shipping back from Australia. Probably easier for me to just download and burn the RF9 Download version to a DVD or USB Key drive.

The download version installed/registered ok with my DVD serial numbers and everything seems to work fine. I really like the new Spektrum Interlink DX controller btw.

I have not heard back from them yet. Probably no big deal imho.

Last edited:
Interesting. One thing I've noticed about a lot of retailers in this hobby is that they seem to believe we are all out to rip them off.

Long story but I lost an airplane because the antenna wire on my brand new Futaba radio was never soldered to the pc board. The folks at the Futaba service center said they didn't know how that happened. Really? Well, I'm pretty sure it happened when they assembled the radio! But they were convinced it was not their fault implying I must have messed with it, etc.

It's funny cause most modelers I know are honest people. But I guess it only takes a few bad apples...

Ummmm, did you do a range check with the new radio.???? that`s something that can be easily overlooked and/or t taken for granted. sorry too hear about the wreck though.;)

Yes I did a range check so I don't know why it didn't fail that.

What happened was one of the receiver antenna was torn off in the crash so I sent it in for repair. When I got it back the transmitter wouldn't bind to the receiver. So I sent the receiver and radio in for service. That's when they found the antenna wire was "never soldered"...their words. Not sure how it worked to begin with unless it was inserted in the pc board but never soldered. IDK but that's what they said. Has worked fine ever since.

Back