BD-5J for G4.5

A few more renders to show progress made.I have now finished all the modelling,mapping and Physics setup,i just need to finish the texture painting and its done.Wont be long now.

Attachments

• render1.jpg
    render1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 26
  • render2.jpg
    render2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 52
  • render 3.jpg
    render 3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 38
Please make a pusher prop version too so we can scale it down to simulate smaller nitro versions!

Please

Please let me know when you complete this, i would like a copy as well.
My father and I built a BD-5..not the "J" model like you have but the prop model..
neat airplane...but i couldnt stay aloft very long and it was very unstable.

The BD5-J is nearly finished and i thought i would post it here first so people could test it out.If anyone finds anything that needs addressing please leave details here and i will fix them before final release.I still need to do a few things with the colourscheme aswell before final release but i am having a few issues with the physics model as it seems very unstable and i am not sure what the problem is,if one of the physics gurus would be kind enough to take a look i would appreciate it enormously.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1238696781.jpg
    ScreenShot1238696781.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 36
  • ScreenShot1238696808.jpg
    ScreenShot1238696808.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 31
  • ScreenShot1238696829.jpg
    ScreenShot1238696829.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 40
  • BD-5J_EA.RFX
    3.8 MB · Views: 80
awesome!

one word...AWESOME!

Thanks for taking the time & effort. This is a beauty, and I think it flies pretty well too.

awesome 2

Flies pretty well. Seems like the flaps need some adjustment, and the landing gear pops up quickly, but dang, it's NICE!

Bd5-j

inky00 said:
The BD5-J is nearly finished and i thought i would post it here first so people could test it out.If anyone finds anything that needs addressing please leave details here and i will fix them before final release.I still need to do a few things with the colourscheme aswell before final release but i am having a few issues with the physics model as it seems very unstable and i am not sure what the problem is,if one of the physics gurus would be kind enough to take a look i would appreciate it enormously.
Ok inky00 i'm no guru but heres an AV of your neat BD5-J i moved the engine back a little to move the CG and slowed the servos down some ,i increased the elevator throw some just a few tweaks ,keep the elevator trim dial turned all the way to the left or off in most cases , try it see if its better,excellent work BTW.Just one point if you size it up a little it does fly better like to 40% from 30% but it floats a little more.

Attachments

• BD-5J v3 dws_AV.RFX
    10.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
doug schluter said:
Ok inky00 i'm no guru but heres an AV of your neat BD5-J i moved the engine back a little to move the CG and slowed the servos down some ,i increased the elevator throw some just a few tweaks ,keep the elevator trim dial turned all the way to the left or off in most cases , try it see if its better,excellent work BTW.

I think this fixes everything I had problems with. Also Inky:

Very nice work. I love this aircraft.

Doug:

Your Variant helps out a lot. Still some very very minor issues, but this actually does help out more then I thought it would.

Very well done for both of you. I enjoyed testing these models and variants. Bravo.

A few obvious things that have been duly noted previously. Just a few others. Stall severity? I really would add a good amount to this. It almost floats like a parachute... ok that is exaggerating but I would still suggest considering some. Also, I would use a ~CS_GDx_FGD_SG on your steerign gear door flap. It really does not close well once you slow it down. It would be far less headache for timing. This would not change the flight characteristics enough and as it is you really do not account for it anyway. Also, is the airfoil at the wing tip thicker than the wing root? does not seem logical so I thought I would bring it up. Wireframe of canopy does not match 3d mesh. Rudder tip missing in physics mesh. other minor details. Lots of great stuff going on here. Loving some of the extras... brakes and brake lines are a very nice touch indeed.

willsonman said:
Also, is the airfoil at the wing tip thicker than the wing root? does not seem logical so I thought I would bring it up.
I just checked it out and you are right,the tip is thicker than the root.I have read the bede home page and it says they used a 12% thickness at the root and 18% thickness at the tip.Strange but there you go.

willsonman said:
Also, I would use a ~CS_GDx_FGD_SG on your steerign gear door flap. It really does not close well once you slow it down.
The landing gear is meant to be quick as the real one has a lightning quick undercarriage.

I will look into all suggestions and thanks for taking the time to give it a test flight and look over.

doug schluter said:
Ok inky00 i'm no guru but heres an AV of your neat BD5-J i moved the engine back a little to move the CG and slowed the servos down some ,i increased the elevator throw some just a few tweaks ,keep the elevator trim dial turned all the way to the left or off in most cases , try it see if its better,excellent work BTW.Just one point if you size it up a little it does fly better like to 40% from 30% but it floats a little more.
Thanks Doug,i will give your AV a try.i am sure its going to be an improvment as mine was quite twitchy.

inky00 said:
The landing gear is meant to be quick as the real one has a lightning quick undercarriage.QUOTE]

Thanks for checking on the airfoil... odd but ohwell. I know its quick but the issue is that when you slow it down you can see that the flap actually collides with the gear. Using NUP values would more than likely solve that. I know that in the past I have found issues using gear flaps with MPs and getting the timing right. Just something to look at I guess.

Oh Inky...I can't wait for this thing to hit the swaps...You have built an amazing model!!!

I have a well-developed 100% AV ready to go, just 'cause I have always dreamed of owning my own jet! I have tried to duplicate the full-size performance envelope as much as possible. I will happily contribute my 100% AV and Silver Bullet CS once you go public with it.

Your attention to detail is stunning, this little jet is my new favorite, by far.

THANK YOU!

Griff
twoeleven

Waiting in the wings...

twoeleven said:
Oh Inky...I can't wait for this thing to hit the swaps...You have built an amazing model!!!

I have a well-developed 100% AV ready to go, just 'cause I have always dreamed of owning my own jet! I have tried to duplicate the full-size performance envelope as much as possible. I will happily contribute my 100% AV and Silver Bullet CS once you go public with it.

Your attention to detail is stunning, this little jet is my new favorite, by far.

THANK YOU!

Griff
twoeleven

Waiting in the wings...
Hi Griff,
Wow,you dont mess about do you.That colourscheme looks slick mate.I tried to make a 100% AV but it didn't end up very realistic so i am glad you took the time to make one.I will release it in the next few days and look forward to your AV and CS.

inky00 said:
Hi Griff,
Wow,you dont mess about do you.That colourscheme looks slick mate.I tried to make a 100% AV but it didn't end up very realistic so i am glad you took the time to make one.I will release it in the next few days and look forward to your AV and CS.

Ink, the CS and the AV are the easy parts, you did all of the heavy lifting...Nice work with the vented brakes, calipers, and brake lines...Awesome detail inside the ship as well, and yes, people do notice these things!

To solve the gripe about the gear hitting the door, I slowed the gear door servo to be .03 slower than the retract servo. I think mine are set at .36 and .33, and they don't interfere with each other, and flip up and back out just like the videos.

The 100% AV is tricky, some small compromises had to be made at the 'almost falling out of the sky' end of the envelope to get a nice 'flies like the real thing' feel to it while you are still flying. But, I gather the real jet gets a bit deadly at "low and slow" over-controls, so maybe it is just as well. I have intentionally left it a tad unforgiving when the wing stalls, and left in just a tad of twitchy, based on the short moment of the airframe. Top speed, roll rate, stall speed are set to be in line with the specs of the real jet. I'm having a blast with it.

I have a few more CS's still in the works for you, including one, you know, for the kids... ;)

Thanks again,

Griff
twoeleven

Last edited:
Back