Beginner's question

mz34334

Hi. Trying to read RF files. No problem with object files, but I get garbage with Airport.RFX and airplane RFX. Same problem with notepad, wordpad & WORD. Help!

What is up with all the people posting in the wrong forums? :rolleyes: This belongs in the regular RealFlight forum not the designer forum, but you're not the first person to post in the wrong forum lately...

What are you trying to do with the .rfx file? Whatever you are trying to do, you will need to import it into realflight first, then go to the RealFlight folder located in the Documents folder on your computer. In that folder you will find the extracted parts of whatever you're looking for. You can edit physics of aircraft in the . RFvehicle file, change and edit colorschemes etc. It can only be done after its imported.

Thanks for the quick reply. It helps a lot. Now, if I may, just one additional question: Where can I find a tutorial on RFvehicle file syntax?

There's no tutorial or guide on how to edit the RFvehicle file. It's not something 99.9%of people need to do. Most everything that you need to do you can do in the aircraft editor in RealFlight. Editing the RFvehicle file is for going beyond the set parameters of the editor. Depending on what you do you could break the model causing RealFlight to crash.

What I can tell you is measurements are metric, thrust is in newtons and SCALE=Float is where you change the size of the model in %.

Thanks once again. Your cautions are appreciated very much. I'm an electrical engineer and reasonably computer literate, so I think I can handle the complexities. If I screw it up, I can always reload RF and all my custom files are already saved elsewhere.
Maybe a specific example can give me the answer I'm looking for. (sometimes the biggest part of problem solving is asking the right question).
For some airplanes the editor allows choices such as servo reversal, and in other airplanes it does not. I'm guessing the creator either put this option in, or not. I'm trying to modify what options are available in the aircraft editor, such as servo reversal, for each model. I supposed this was in each RFvehicle file. But, maybe not. Anxious to see your response. Mike.

You can reverse just about all servos in the editor, make sure that you are viewing advanced properties in the editor. Under each control surface servo reverse will be listed where you choose which servo controls the surface. Anything else can be reversed by using a complex input on the channel by inverting the graph value. Similar to expo on your transmitter.

Last edited:
Back