Benefit of moving to Steam?

Aerotec

Hello all, New KE member!

I have just bought a DVD copy of RF9.5 and see I can convert the serial number to a Steam code and get 9.5S. I am trying to see the pro and cons of doing this as I would imaging it can't be reversed once done.

Pro:
- Access 9.5S and maybe an easy way to buy upgrades in the future
- No worrying about losing serial numbers

Con:
- Won't be able to sell the RF9.5 to someone else in the future

I'm not sure how many concurrent installs I can have on the DVD version. I think steam is 2 installs? That's ok just now with one desktop and one laptop but if I have a PC build for the TV I will be out of installs with steam.

Any other pro/cons before I make the jump?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Pretty much covers it. No official word, but probably safe to assume that someday they will shut down the validation server, which would force everyone to Steam. But that likely will be a long way off.

probably safe to assume that someday they will shut down the validation server, which would force everyone to Steam.
If someone already has 9.5 installed, I don't think the validation server would be needed. Therefore, they wouldn't be forced to go to Steam.

Last edited:
The amount of computers you install 9.5 is not limited. The only caveat is that you can only use one instance at a time since you will have to be signed into Steam to use it. If you log on your laptop, it will sign you off your desktop. I have had Steam installed on as many as 5 computers at 2 different locations at the same time and all I had to do was login with Steam and I could play on any of the computers. As with other software that you activate on Steam, once you do so the Key becomes invalid for the Disc version so it is pretty much trash at that point. You would not be able to activate it separately any longer.

If someone already has 9.5 installed, I don't think the validation server would be needed. Therefore, they wouldn't be forced to go to Steam.
If you want any updates for 9.5 or move to the 9.5s version you would have to convert to Steam. Once this is done, the Disc version is no longer valid for use or install. The Activation Key becomes a Steam Only option.

I was thinking in terms of new installs or if the item got sold to a 3rd party sometime after validation was stopped. But again, I think that may be a long time in the future....

I believe you can continue to use the DVD installed versions, you just can't use the code to install it anywhere new.

I believe you can continue to use the DVD installed versions, you just can't use the code to install it anywhere new.
Once you activate on Steam the DVD version will be deactivated. The Key would no longer be valid. That's how it works for any software activated on Steam.

Back