Best Hardware upgrade I ever made to boost RF performance

willsonman

So, I've been a bit around the block here. I've been using RF since G3.5. Recently I decided to make a system replacement and I have been going at it one part at a time. I did upgrade the video card to a HD7xxx card and it helped with the eye candy. Now, Currently I am running a AMD 4200+ processor with 2GB of RAM. Standard HDD at 500GB. I just got that Sandisk ReadyCache SSD to help with the snappiness of my computer and I am blown away. I was never able to get the sub base flying site to run smoothly. Just by adding it the load time of EVERYTHING has improved DRASTICALLY. For those looking to do a simple upgrade to help with RF performance I would highly suggest you plunk down $50 for this drive. By boot time went down and all my other programs like max wings3D and GIMP have also improved in their processing speed. I can now very seamlessly work between max, RF, and GIMP all open simultaneously. Any questions about it fell free to ask.

Yup... they make your PC run buttery smooth... and your toast tastes better too!

Great for Laptops too.

Would bigger really be better? wilsonman gave us a link to the 32gb card for $47. at the bottom of the page, there is a link to a 64gb card for $68 and a 128gb card for $98.

Are the 64gb and 128gb just bigger versions of the 32gb card or are they something totally different

Signed,
Not a geek

In my book yes.

The larger SSD the better.

You want the entire operating system to reside on the SSD.

Anything you want operating faster also should reside on the SSD.

On one of my machines I put the OS and Realflight on the SSD, then I redirected the TEMP & TMP folders to a Smaller cheaper SSD.

The Smaller SSD ends up with all of the constantly written to temporary files saving wear and tear on the larger one SSD. SSD's have limited write cycles available.... so I save quite a few this way...

Then I moved "My Documents" to a spinning drive.

Realflight loads up, pulls models from the D: (hard) drive, but runs VERY quickly from the SSD.

You want to keep your static stuff off the SSD, documents, pictures, music and movies really have no place there.

You want those things that will benefit the most from the higher speed on the SSD; the OS, Realflight, games with large textures, Graphic programs, etc.

The difference is night and day.

Once you SSD, you'll never go back!

Yes, SSDs are great but not cheap to get one for your OS and more. This one is merely a caching drive. I cannot open it in my computer but the software detects the frequently used programs and files and caches them. Since I use RF all the time is really nice to have now. I think once I upgrade from my Athlon 64 4200+ and DDR2 ram I will be much happier with my RF experience. Just wanted to share that one single inexpensive part made a big difference in my ole' reliable machine.

something else you can do and its FREE. set your swap file to a fixed size like 4 gig min and max. that will also keep you HD from get fragmented. windows automatically adjust the size of the swap file so if you set it to a fixed size it greatly help the performance

An SSD is the way to go.I have a 240Gb one in my new computer for the OS and games and it makes a hell of a difference.Would recommend anyone to get one if they can afford to.Also for things like max and photoshop more RAM will speed things up.

Back