Best Place To Buy Real Air Flight Sim?

eagleone

Best Place To Buy Real Flight Sim?

I am trying to find a good place to buy Real Flight Sim 4.5. When I called two hobby shops in Alaska (Anchorage) that are dealers for the sim, one had the sim on hand but the sales person I spoke with knew nothing about the sim, rc flying, or even what a mode was. The other hobby shop seemed to be knowledgeable about the sim, but I have to pay shipping from the lower 48 (they don't stock the sim.). I have no problem with this except that I have to pay Alaska prices for the sim and then pay long distance shipping. This dealer indicated that the current version is Real Flight 4.0 and that ver. 4.5 is still in beta and is a free download. He reccomended buying ver. 4.0 and then trying the download ver 4.5. He also said ver 4.5 still had some bugs in it and that it is a little squirrley. Am I getting the truth here or is this information a little out of date?

I may want to find a knowledgeable dealer on the west coast that offers a reasonable price and does not charge an arm and a leg for shipping and handling.

Any suggestions? :confused:

Don

Last edited:
G4.5 is not a beta version.... the latest iteration is RFG4.5ver036 If you buy G4.0 version, it is a free download upgrade to G4.5. There are and will be version updates to download and install as various features are improved and fixed. There were some discounts for buying G4.0 at the hobby stores... G4.5 is pretty standard @ $199

Check Tower Hobby ... sorry don't know about the shipping end of things in Alaska.

Technically G4.5 isn't a beta....but I would still say that G4 was less problematic (especially in multiplayer) I upgraded to G4.5 and certainly wouldn't got back to G4 (but I don't do much multiplayer)

As far as I know G4.5 can NOT be downgraded to G4. So in reality I think you would be better off purchasing G4, then upgrade (online) to G4.5. If everything works and you are happy with G4.5 keep it.....if you find it problematic then you can always revert back to G4. until G4.5 is more "stable" for lack of better words.

I can back up that Tower Hobbies is a good place to purchase as well.

as far as modes goes;

you want to point out that the main difference is Mode one and Mode Two

the main difference is what side the Throttle stick is on. Remind that sales person that the Throttle is the one that dose not spring back to centre.

You will get the same produce more or less when you get G4 or G4.5, that is (As everyone is saying) you can update to G4.5 from G4 free of charge. (Just a big download) <I am not sure But I think one of the EP's -EP5 ?- will have the Up date>

I vaguely recall that even if you have G4.5 you can back date to G4. Don't quote me on this one.

Bryce.

G4 can be freely upgraded to G4.5 but it is a BIG download.

The only reason to buy G4 is if you can't wait for the multiplayer fixes to come out for G4.5. Right now it seems like most of the multiplayer activity is still on G4, but I expect that to change after our next patch.

Jim

Installing Expansion Pack 5 will update G4, but not to G4.5. EP5 came out before G4.5. And as long as you start with G4, you can revert back to G4 if you decide you don't like the free upgrade to G4.5. You can not revert to a version earlier than what your discs are. But now that G4.5 supports integrated processors, there's really no reason not to like it, IMO. Oops, MP is not real reliable in G4.5, currently, but will be fixed soon.

Jeff
Thanks for the Confirmation on the EP5 not updating you to G4.5.. wasn't sure ;)

Seen the latest News and Announcements ? you gona beta that one ?

Thanks also for the Confirmation on the Back date to version older than you purchased disks sets (IE can not downgrade from G4.5 to G4 if you purchased G4.5)

Bryce.

Eric Olsen said:
Tower sells RealFlight for 199.98 and ships to Alaska somewhere around $10.00

As for multiplayer, read this:
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=22931

And if you sign up for the Supersavers for one year, shipping is free... but offset by the membership.

However add to that the discounts available ( $25.00 or so on $150.00 ) and G4 ends up hovering about $160.00 or so including shipping.

Best Place To Buy Real Flight Sim?

I have no problem buying directly into Real Flight 4.5 if it will run on my computer. The RF 4.0 demo runs fine on my box with fr=110-140 and higher. What sort of frame rate hits have you guys experienced upgrading from RF ver. 4.0 to RF ver 4.5?

Don

The only reason that 4.5 won't run on your machine (provided 4.0/demo does) is if you have an integrated graphics card. But if you update via the launcher to 4.50.036, that'll fix that.

If you buy from towerhobbies.com use this code at checkout 016B9 and get $20 off if your order is over $50.. I don't know how long this is good for, I just got it in my email yesterday 2-9-09.. good luck

Save $20.00 Off Your $50 Order
Place your order of just $50 or more and for a limited time we'll take $20.00 off the total. All you have to do to claim your savings is add this ad number at checkout 016B9 and it will be placed in your shopping cart.

: Best Place To Buy Real Air Flight Sim? Reply to Thread

Thanks for the info. I have already ordered Ver 4.5 today from HobbyTown USA in Bellingham, Wa. It came to $200.00 +$12.00 shipping via U. S. Priority Mail. :)

Don

Current Tower Hobbies is $25 off of $199 orders, which may as well have been tailor made for RealFlight.

I have no reason to question HobbyTown support, but I have to say that Tower Hobbies has just about the best customer support I've ever seen, and I'm pretty hard to please :) .

Back