BETA QUESTION

nataliacd1972

Hi
Apart from the obvious one of allowing computers that do not support directx 9, does the beta version have any advantages over the normal version?...performance, aliasing, etc.....especially for computers more powerful than the recommended requirements ( i7 9400k, 32GB RAM, RTX2060S)

There may be some small differences, but this is still generally a test version to identify any deficiencies in the conversion, rather than to introduce big changes yet. One big performance hit with the Beta has been a huge drop in frame rate if foliage density is increased. I'm sure it will be optimized to be reduced or eliminated when it gets officially released. A bit premature to hope for big improvements. Right now it is only to make sure that it is not generally worse than DX 9....and can run on systems that no longer support DX9.

@nataliacd1972 Hello! Do you fly helicopters? If so, there is an important improvement with DX11 regarding scale aircrafts (or non-scale upon certain main rotor RPM transition speeds).
This has been already discussed here: when we look after an heli, we should always see the main rotor disk shape/blades. Without, its not realistic. They fixed this!

Imagine sailing ship without sails or plane without wings..

Obviously the majority here is flying planes or 3D helis with high RPM, so low impact in the community.

I'm super happy they fixed this, as helicopterist. Waiting on this for years.

Last edited:
Hi
Apart from the obvious one of allowing computers that do not support directx 9, does the beta version have any advantages over the normal version?...performance, aliasing, etc.....especially for computers more powerful than the recommended requirements ( i7 9400k, 32GB RAM, RTX2060S)
Guess we'll all find out. It looks like Beta has become the official release version, so no more option to switch to it. You'll just have it next tiem you fire up RF and Steam pushes it out.

I fly helicopters from time to time...and yes, I had noticed that in the Evo in some helicopters you could not see the rotor disc (in the 7.5 I could see it)

The main problem for me when moving to the beta is having to reinstall all the custom planes... If the versions have been unified it won't be necessary I guess.

But it's strange that there hasn't been an official announcement

Back