Blade 350

msdnman

I am new to RC Helicopters and simulators. I purchased a Blade 350 a while back and I finally time to start learning to fly it!! The version of RF 6 that I purchased came with the Helicopter Mega Pack.

My question is what helicopter (included with RF6 or the mega pack) is the closest to the blade 350 that I can practice with the simulator.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
You could try the Gaui 330X-S, it's about the only quad readily available in approximately the same size.

However, any large 600-700 size heli set at low rates would probably do, for orientation and if you wanted to get used to agility mode. The Tutor 600 with training gear isn't bad. I'm training my kid on it.

For a somewhat self stablising helicopter, the helimax coaxmial micro is one way to go - There is also the tiny 1SQ, it is the closest stock model I can think of to the AS3X in SAFE. But these would be smaller than the 350 of course.

Look and see in the swap pages, in case someone here has tinkered with a quad and come up with a self stabilising variation.

Addendum: You could get a Blade nano qx and just fly it around your living room too! It's cheap and the real plus is the lipos are cheap and it doesn't do collateral damage to curtains and blinds like an mCP X or bigger does when it ploughs into something. Real life sim (for a quad), Your kids'll love it, etc etc. If you have a spekky radio (and you do if you have the 350qx), don't think, just buy the nano qx.

Last edited:
Thing is that all the small aircraft are pretty difficult to control at first, so I am going to tell you what has been said here many times before.

Start with a larger aircraft, because they are more stable, and work your way down in size. Start with a large 90 sized heli like the Gaui X7 will help with orientation training. As you get better, drop down in size. The Trex450 V2 is really pretty good heli for training.

I am not promoting Gaui, just happens that I like flying the X7 for unknown reasons. Dominion 90 3D is good too.

Last edited:
Ibid on what 12oclockhigh said, start with BIG heli and learn to hover and fly nose in with that.

Once you get good with the larger helis, start moving down in size.

The smaller the heli, the harder it is to control, like real life RC helis.

If you can't already tell, your small 350 is not an ideal beginner's heli.

Even the 450's are a bit "squirrly" compared to the larger helis.

---

I got into RC because I saw those awesome videos of helis on the web over 10+ years ago.

I purchased a 400 size heli. Crashed it. Purchased two more, crashed those... then I decided it was harder than it looks... and moved to planes.

That was a very good move as planes are easier than helis, and they let me get used to orientation issues more easily.

6 years later I moved back to helis with much better success.

With a plane, it is always moving "forward" in normal flight. So you learn to fly a plane twice... upright and inverted so to speak.

With a heli you learn to fly it eight times...

Forward, leftward, rightward, backward and the same inverted.

Each direction involves different skill sets and muscle memory.

Great points!! I like the helicopter because it doesn't require as much space, but I can see how a plane would be easier to get orientation down.

Great points!! I like the helicopter because it doesn't require as much space, but I can see how a plane would be easier to get orientation down.

I think heli's are a lot easier, but lol, I only fly heli's. You HAVE to use the rudder on heli's.

Check out any of those links here on Helifreak

http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=242

I learnt to fly on an mCP X in real life and a bit on the sim too.

I'm trying to teach my kid on RF first, using the tutor 600. And have a nano qx for actual real flying to muck around (since it's pretty safe).

Oh, and a nice real slow heli if you've got the helipack is the bergen gasser. It's great for slow flying and learning, imo.

Last edited:
"X" helis are very easy to fly, though I would never group them into the "real" heli arena.

OK I will apologize first, but your really should google;
Radds School of Rotary Flight

I also teach new heli pilots to play helicopter baseball. Lay out some rings on the ground in a baseball diamond pattern (you can do this in the sim too)... first run the bases with tail in to yourself... progress with tail left and tail right, don't forget to run the bases forward and backward with the nose towards yourself... you will learn your orientations.

Then you can do the same inverted.

Attachments

• Helicopter_BaseBall.jpg
    Helicopter_BaseBall.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back