Blender 3DS export project

v0.97: Alternative pivot objects

Script can now include alternative pivot objects so it is not necessary to move or orient the object centres.

Create pivot objects using a simple mesh (cube) or use the blender 'Empty' object. Assign a property to the pivot object called 'IsPivot' with a BOOL value of TRUE, or a STRING value of "YES".

On the object to use this pivot point assign a property called 'Pivot' with a STRING value equal to the name of the pivot object.

For example, to create a pivot point for the landing gear add an Empty object and name it "LG HELPER". On the logic panel (F4) add a bool type property called "IsPivot" with value True.

Select the existing landing gear object and go to the logic panel. Add a string property called "Pivot" with value "LG HELPER". Repeat for all objects you wish to use the LG HELPER pivot point.

When exporting to 3DS the script will create a custom SUP file including these parameters and optionally invoke 3ds2kex.exe utility to create the KEX file. (If you have enabled this feature through the script configuration editor) Enjoy!

Confusing

:eek: Well i managed to change the first G3X file to a zip but havent done anything with it i'm learning to use blender and really dont want to have to use any other program to create an aircraft. I dont understand really what to do with the two files in the begining of the post to make this work?? :eek:

I have saved the first one as a ZIp succesfully and i will save the .TXT file to my drive as well but i'm just confused not Very clear what to do with them i guess. A Different explination maybe Hmmm.

heh...
im new to the modeling thing to.
still working on my first project.

here what you do to get your aircraft into the sim.

1. make your aircraft
2. export that aircraft as a 3ds file using the script found on this thread.
now you will have 2 files...your 3ds file and a sup file.
3. edit the sup file to make sure the parts naming and hierarchy are correct.
4. now run the 3ds to kex converter found here http://knifeedge.com/KEmax/downloads.php
( EDIT : make sure you down load the right file.....download the 2nd one down.
the first one marked as beta is for the G4 :D )
this is a cmd line based program...meaning you have to run it from the dos window.
a search on the forums here should point you in the right direction on how to run it
if you have everything set up right.
the 3ds to kex converter will make a new file....with the .kex extention.
4. startup your G3.5 under simulation go down to import.
then import kex......find your file and hit open.

if everything was set up correctly you will have your aircraft in the sim.
go to the aircraft tab ...select new aircraft...find the one you just imported.
hit open and bingo...

then you have the joy of setting up the physics model....but that a whole other can of worms.

hope this helps....have fun :)

Last edited:
Linkadrip said:
:eek: Well i managed to change the first G3X file to a zip but havent done anything with it i'm learning to use blender and really dont want to have to use any other program to create an aircraft. I dont understand really what to do with the two files in the begining of the post to make this work?? :eek:

I have saved the first one as a ZIp succesfully and i will save the .TXT file to my drive as well but i'm just confused not Very clear what to do with them i guess. A Different explination maybe Hmmm.

Both files attached to the first post are the same thing. They both contain the 3ds export script for blender just saved in a different format.

You can either take the TXT file and save it as (assuming you use the default blender install path):
C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\export_3ds2kex.py​

If you instead use the G3X file and rename to .ZIP you should see the file export_3ds2kex.py inside that archive which you unzip into the blender scripts directory listed above.

Hi Kama, glad to hear you have things working!

kama1 said:
3. edit the sup file to make sure the parts naming and hierarchy are correct.

On this one, you can do all your parts naming and hierarchy stuff inside blender.

Whatever name you use for the object will be the one put into the SUP file so go ahead and use the true names like "~CS_LMW" - also by setting the object parents inside blender you can do all your hierarchy too. Hit F7 to jump to the object and links panel and edit the "OB:" and "Par:" settings to the object name and parent object name.

You can even take a look at your hierarchy in blender using the 'Outliner' window which you can quickly switch to with the hotkey SHIFT-F9.
(SHIFT-F5 will go back to 3D view or you can create a new panel on the right side of the screen and use that to show the Outliner window and do UV mapping, etc while always keeping a 3D view open)

your script works great :)

prolly just me....but i when through ALOT of trial and error while working my my first project.
so i made it a point to check the sup file each an every time i exported my project.
so basically that carried over to my advice above.

although when i was first started the project i did have some issues.
ran into a problem where blender didnt like long names.

for example leadlags on helis.
i would name the object in blender leadlag1.
then in the sup file under name i would do the actual name.
~CS_TH_2BLADE_LEADLAG1
or what ever it is.
either way your script in great.
thank you for writing it
works like a charm :)

rayvel said:
Both files attached to the first post are the same thing. They both contain the 3ds export script for blender just saved in a different format.

You can either take the TXT file and save it as (assuming you use the default blender install path):
C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\export_3ds2kex.py​

If you instead use the G3X file and rename to .ZIP you should see the file export_3ds2kex.py inside that archive which you unzip into the blender scripts directory listed above.

OK i took the G3X and saved itas a ZIp file then exported its contents to

C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\export_3ds2kex .py

Thanks for giving me an explination now when i get to the point were i'm ready to export my aircraft i shouldnt have to use anything but Blender Correct? :)

Yeah blender's iterface is certainly unique, at least as far as I have seen in other 3d modelling apps. Takes a while to get used to.

With blender for modelling the aircraft you will need to download the Knife Edge 3ds2kex utility which will convert the 3DS+SUP files from blender into KEX import for Real Flight.

You will also need a paint program to do the skinning of the aircraft, if you want to go freeware then check out GIMP which is quite good. Anything that can edit a targa image file will do.

When I import my 3ds file the names of all the parts are completely mixed up. Is that what is meant by the 3ds import being "broken"? Maybe I am doing something wrong.

i noticed that blender does not import 3ds files to good.
i mean it does import the files but they get all messed up.
but the export script that rayvel wrote works great.

yeah, about the 3ds import - I have never touched that so I think it is pretty much broken just like the "out-of-the-box" export is pretty much broken.

In fact I have never even tried importing 3ds into blender - only worked with exporting the .blend files to .3ds

I'm sort of getting it. Not sure which axis will be the rotating one after I set up the pivot point center. It would also be nice for someone to give some of these basic instructions for 3DsMax... for those who will just use the free trial. Just a suggestion.

willsonman said:
I'm sort of getting it. Not sure which axis will be the rotating one after I set up the pivot point center. It would also be nice for someone to give some of these basic instructions for 3DsMax... for those who will just use the free trial. Just a suggestion.

Watch when you rotate if you are rotating about the pivot or about the world axes. So you can hit 'R' 'X' to rotate about local X, or 'R' 'X' 'X' to rotate about world X. (Or is that the other way around...)

As for 3DsMax your guess is as good as mine. There are plenty of resources out there so maybe find a basic tutorial on 3DsMax (not related to creating aircraft models). Should be easy to find.

rayvel said:
Watch when you rotate if you are rotating about the pivot or about the world axes. So you can hit 'R' 'X' to rotate about local X, or 'R' 'X' 'X' to rotate about world X. (Or is that the other way around...)

As for 3DsMax your guess is as good as mine. There are plenty of resources out there so maybe find a basic tutorial on 3DsMax (not related to creating aircraft models). Should be easy to find.

R X,Y,Z rotates along the global.
didnt now that you could rotate on the local ..... thats great

texture map problems

Hello, newb here.

I know blender well enough to be dangerous, but not make a living with it. I decided to tackle an Enticement as my first attempt at a RF model. I took detailed pics for modeling and textures, got the basic plane modeled. I learned a few do's and dont's for the next more serious effort, but before I did too much I decided to see if I could get what I have into RF.

I am running into problems after the export script. The kex file gets created ok, but when i try to import it into RF i get an 'error finding texture file'. The texture is a 1024x1024 non compressed TGA in the same dir as the kex file, as it was when used as a texture in blender. I also tried looking at the nexstar blender demo, and it will not even make it through the converter - 0 bitmap files used.

So i was sondering if someone could point me in some direction to resolve the import problem. Maybe just a sample that will actually import that I can compare to. Once I see something positive in RF I hope to get motivated to go do more detailed modeling.

Back