Blender Tricks and Tips

This is the type of thing Im dealing with. Every part has one or more of these areas. Now, if you have 30+ parts, stacked on top of each other upon combining, well, you get the idea. Ive found that if your part has too much of an angle, it will split it just like this.

Asking for a solution on Blenders forums rendered no answers. So, if I can't fix it, Im gone.

At Boof, well, we'll see what happens. Im going back to familiar territory to finish this one up.

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 28
This is the type of thing Im dealing with. Every part has one or more of these areas. Now, if you have 30+ parts, stacked on top of each other upon combining, well, you get the idea. Ive found that if your part has too much of an angle, it will split it just like this.

Asking for a solution on Blenders forums rendered no answers. So, if I can't fix it, Im gone.

At Boof, well, we'll see what happens. Im going back to familiar territory to finish this one up.

I can't be 100% sure of what I am seeing here. But it looks like the extra lines in orange are just that, duplicates of vertices that already exist in the large wing faces that mapped properly. If that is the case, just drag the offending lines off the edge of the texture and things should work fine.

In this case however, there is a much easier way to get what I think you want. Go to top view. Then enter edit mode for the wing. Make sure all faces are deselected. Then select just the visible faces using a bounding box. There is a button just to the right of the face select mode that allows you to specify you only want the visible faces selected.

Once you have only the visible faces on the top of the wing selected, unwrap. Use the project from view option to actually do the unwrap.

You then repeat those steps but basically from the bottom view to get the bottom of the wing unwrapped.

That's exactly what I did. What you see are the vertical faces where thew ailerons are and the round area of the top wing. I'm aware that by doing it this way, there will be major stretching in those areas, but for this CS, that would not be a problem. There are also other areas that have a high degree of angle that an unwrap will break the islands at that angle. Then when you rry to do anything with it, if you are not careful, you will separate them. And with so many parts, you can easily confuse where most actually belong.

The only way you could end up with those areas as shown is if those faces were selected. You probably just needed to rotate the model and manually unselect those vertical faces before unwrapping. There would not be too many of them so it should be fairly easy.

Then you would select those vertical faces separately and unwrap them later.

For those faces, yes that would work. However, for the scoop on my cowl, not so much. I'd end up with about 10 pieces just for that alone.

For those faces, yes that would work. However, for the scoop on my cowl, not so much. I'd end up with about 10 pieces just for that alone.

For the cowl, have you tried the "Smart UV Project" way of unwrapping, playing around with the angle limit?

Lol. I've spent 2 nights trying to get my desired results. I've played with everything. Most of which end with what looks like a smashed pancake on the freeway.

That cowl area looks tricky regardless of how you try to unwrap. My initial thinking is that best might be to unwrap the front separately from the sides, with each side separate. So for the sides you kind of would do the project from view trick but selecting only faces back from the front part of the cowl with a bounding box. The front I would try unwrapping separately. But the cowl is definitely gnarly.

Back