Blinn surface

Quadzilla

Hi everyone, I downloaded 3D 2019 Max but can't seem to find the Blinn surface. following the demo here it show using Blinn for the map loaded on the 3D plane. Do i need to use 2016 version?

You have to have the TGA file in the build folder, that is the same folder you have the FBX file in, that you are importing into Realflight.

Hi I not 100% how to name things including the build folder. where can i find naming conventions. Lets say i load a OBJ into Max called vtol.obj the targa is called vtolCS.tga and the surface is called Fuselage. are the names case sensitive? also i saw some names with~ ?

Here's something to read it's a plane tutorial by KnifeEdge and it talks about naming conventions.

https://www.knifeedge.com/KEmax/plane_tutorial.php

Also here's the G4 Artists Reference pdf file it has lots of information.

http://www.knifeedge.com/KEmax/G4 Artists Reference.pdf

As far as naming the build directory and the files in it you can name the build directory and aircraft file anything you want. You can only have a single tga file for painting the textures and I always name it the same as the aircraft.

Example

MyPlane.max
MyPlane.tga (where you paint the textures)
MyPlane_s.tga (spec map)
MyPlane_n.tga (normal map)

I'm using 3ds Max 2015 but others are using newer versions and they save FBX files so I think your version is fine. Be sure and keep all your files in the build directory that's where RealFlight looks for them when you import the plane.

The build directory is a directory you create and keep the files in. You save the MAX file and TGA files there and export the FBX file in that directory. Then when you import the plane you import it from there and the FBX and TGA files are located together. When you import the plane RealFlight will create the KEX file used by RealFlight in that directory. You do not create the KEX file it's created by RealFlight when you import a plane.

Example

C:\RealFlight\EA]\MyPlane1
MyPlane1.max
MyPlane1.fbx
MyPlane1.kex
MyPlane1.tga
MyPlane1_s.tga

C:\RealFlight\EA\MyPlane2
MyPlane2.max
MyPlane2.fbx
MyPlane2.kex
MyPlane2.tga
MyPlane2_s.tga

"Example

C:\RealFlight\EA]\MyPlane1
MyPlane1.max
MyPlane1.fbx
MyPlane1.kex
MyPlane1.tga
MyPlane1_s.tga

C:\RealFlight\EA\MyPlane2
MyPlane2.max
MyPlane2.fbx
MyPlane2.kex
MyPlane2.tga
MyPlane2_s.tga " thanks i will try it.

Hi This is the file formats i using i included the max file as well. I did cut a few polygons so it no longer water tight. kinda at a loss.

Attachments

• Real01.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 12
You only have fuselage named, and that should be in caps (FUSELAGE) now you need to separate other parts and correctly name ~CS_LMW for left main wing, Ect. see naming links Technoid sent you earlier, also need pivot points set and hierarchy,

I'm sorry but I can't help with the max or fbx file my older 3ds Max 2015 won't open either of them it say's they're created by a newer version. But one thing I noticed is the "myplaneS.tga" if that's supposed to be the SPEC MAP file the file must be named "myplane_s.tga" (notice the underscore before the "s" at the end of the filename. But like I said my older version of 3ds Max won't load the MAX or FBX file in your ZIP file.

You only have fuselage named, and that should be in caps (FUSELAGE) now you need to separate other parts and correctly name ~CS_LMW for left main wing, Ect. see naming links Technoid sent you earlier, also need pivot points set and hierarchy,
Thanks guys...

@Quadzilla I added the texture OK using 3DS Max 2020 and I get further than you did in the RF9 import, but the FBX to KEX import process is taking a very long time. It has taken about an hour so far on a pretty fast box.

I selected all the main parts and detached them in max, then renamed the parts (see pic)
Then I set the pivots and hierarchy and exported out of max and imported the model into Realflight.
Your tga is not square, (256 x 128) should be 256 x 256, 1024 x 1024 ect. up to a maximum of 4096 x 4096, also the model was not pointing along the Y axis, I had to rotate it 180 degrees, was kind of funny when I first imported into RF the model flew in reverse.

Attachments

• myplane.JPG
    myplane.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 8
Back