Bug report: Viewport gadget stuck off screen!

agrsk8r

When I try to start the viewport gadget, I barely see the opening animation shoot off to the left side of my window off screen. The last time I used this gadget successfully, I was playing around with a 3 monitor setup. I went back to this setup to see if I could pull the viewport back to the middle of my screen, but I was unsuccessful as it still went off screen to the left. I tried going into fullscreen, that didn't work. I tried deleting the "Data" folder from My Documents but that didn't work either. The only possible answer I found was from a fix list from release 6.00.032 that stated, "If the main RealFlight dialog is resized, gadget positions and sizes are adjusted to prevent them from getting stuck off screen." I would try this except I was unable to find the option to resize the dialog. If by "dialog" they mean "window size," this isn't working for the viewport.

Any suggestions on how to get my viewport gadget back would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I went into the RealFlight Configuration settings and changed the coordinates of the viewport from 0,0 to 960,540. I play using a full window on a 1920x1080 monitor so I figured those coordinates would place the upper left corner of the gadget in the middle of my screen. After starting the game and launching the viewport gadget, the animation did go to the center of my screen, however, the gadget did not display. Now I'm thinking that it wasn't off screen at all, it just isn't showing up.

I really don't want to reinstall if I don't have to. It's such a pain to redo all of the expansions and import all of my downloaded models all over again.

I would recommend against manually deleting files and manipulating files, but that horse already left the barn. It's hard telling what else you affected in the software by doing that. What you should've done was reset to defaults using the RF launcher program. That probably would've helped you.

I would say that OP could still reset the defaults from the Real Flight Launcher and be OK... His coordinate calculations are probably off since the much larger screen is still likely in play.

I usually run windowed mode. If I resize the window to fit in a corner of my screen the side gadgets move to fit in the allotted space, however if I maximize the window those gadgets don't move and stay in the middle of my screen stacked on each other. Try running in windowed mode and see if you can get your gadgets to move around to get them back

I would recommend against manually deleting files and manipulating files, but that horse already left the barn. It's hard telling what else you affected in the software by doing that. What you should've done was reset to defaults using the RF launcher program. That probably would've helped you.

I've deleted and manipulated enough game files to know what the possible side effects will likely be and that before deleting anything, I backup those files first. No harm was done in removing that data folder as it was completely rewritten when I started the game back up.

Aside from that, I was actually trying to reset to defaults but I had forgotten that the option was in the launcher. After reading your suggestion, I went ahead and reset to defaults and... IT WORKED!!! So, thank you for reminding me where the settings reset button was. :D

On the other hand, I still don't know what exactly caused the issue in the first place. But it's fixed for now and that's what's important.

Thanks again!

This is one program feature that I refuse to use... viewport. It is like having binoculars focused on the plane at all times. Since I cannot have that at the field (nor do I want it), I don't want to use it here. Sorry to derail the thread, but I was wondering if most people use the feature.

I fly close in so I don't have to rely on that. What do other people do?

This is one program feature that I refuse to use... viewport. It is like having binoculars focused on the plane at all times. Since I cannot have that at the field (nor do I want it), I don't want to use it here. Sorry to derail the thread, but I was wondering if most people use the feature.

I fly close in so I don't have to rely on that. What do other people do?

Op:

To begin with the OP's original problem is NOT A BUG. It is usual Windows behavior for orphan-able windows.

The fix as he discovered was to reset the sim to it's defaults.

Case closed, no bug report needed.

-----

12oclockhigh:

I find the viewport handy when training novices on how to fly the plane based upon responses to stick inputs instead of visual cues.

Flying the plane from a great distance where you can't see the wings, etc... helps them learn how to deal with disorientation in real life.

Flipping the viewport ON from time to time, lets them see what is going on when they don't "get" the attitude of the plane.

Of course smoke is useful too for this purpose.

Last edited:
I've deleted and manipulated enough game files to know what the possible side effects will likely be and that before deleting anything, I backup those files first. No harm was done in removing that data folder as it was completely rewritten when I started the game back up.
Maybe, maybe not. But you did end up with a problem that most people don't experience. I would never advise anyone to manipulate files or delete them. If you've seen the guys I've seen here who claim to have IT experience, and troubles that almost no one else has here, you'd understand my sentiments.

That said, I'm glad you got it fixed.

I understand this use, but don't let it be a crutch... I think that if new fliers get used to the feature they regularly fly out of sight. I would much rather pound some pixels than see a real plane fly away. One of the biggest problems I find with new pilots is their control is bad so they loose orientation and fly away or they are testing the boundaries of their eyeballs... anything to encourage that should be discouraged. Not a big thing, but an observation.

I like using the sim to practice flying at a distance to be very helpful in recovering planes. Let it fly out to almost a dot and then try to fly it back..

12oclockhigh:

I find the viewport handy when training novices on how to fly the plane based upon responses to stick inputs instead of visual cues.

Flying the plane from a great distance where you can't see the wings, etc... helps them learn how to deal with disorientation in real life.

Flipping the viewport ON from time to time, lets them see what is going on when they don't "get" the attitude of the plane.

Of course smoke is useful too for this purpose.

Maybe, maybe not. But you did end up with a problem that most people don't experience. I would never advise anyone to manipulate files or delete them. If you've seen the guys I've seen here who claim to have IT experience, and troubles that almost no one else has here, you'd understand my sentiments.

That said, I'm glad you got it fixed.

I understand exactly what you mean. I would like to make it clear, however, that the problem started before I touched any files. And the files that I did mess with had zero effect on the issue and did not cause any additional issues. :D

As for this spin off conversation...

I like to use the viewport like an FPV monitor. I don't use it every time I'm on the simulator, just when I feel like changing it up a bit. This flight sim has taught me a great deal and it will continue to do so as I grow with experience both in the sim and with my real helis (and planes when I finally get around to picking some up). I'd say 90% of the time, I use the default fixed camera view without the viewport or binoculars. I also regularly run the sim in 3D to help with the depth perception. It really makes a big difference.

I understand this use, but don't let it be a crutch... I think that if new fliers get used to the feature they regularly fly out of sight. I would much rather pound some pixels than see a real plane fly away. One of the biggest problems I find with new pilots is their control is bad so they loose orientation and fly away or they are testing the boundaries of their eyeballs... anything to encourage that should be discouraged. Not a big thing, but an observation.

I like using the sim to practice flying at a distance to be very helpful in recovering planes. Let it fly out to almost a dot and then try to fly it back..

I use it for a FPV window sometimes. I'm planning on getting a FPV plane which has a screen on the TX (optional goggles). I think using the viewport could be good practice for real world FPV flight.

Here is the plane I'm speaking of: http://www.spyhawkfpv.com/

I think they should modify the Radio range flight failure to be a separate type of failure that will go out on you at a set distance from the pilot rather than the way it is now which is purely random and can happen 100 ft away or 10,000 ft away even when set to always. Of course we would have the option to disable this. It would be very useful and teach people not to let their model get to far away from them.

I think you would be better served to use the nose camera option. It is much closer to the real flying than the binocular viewport. I have an FPV plane.. I wish we had the option of a HUD. That is what would really help get people flying FPV. Now that prices are falling, maybe we will see movement in that direction.

I use it for a FPV window sometimes. I'm planning on getting a FPV plane which has a screen on the TX (optional goggles). I think using the viewport could be good practice for real world FPV flight.

Here is the plane I'm speaking of: http://www.spyhawkfpv.com/

I've found a view port or 2 very valuable the few times I've engaged in MP combat ..... figure RC combat is totally unreal anyhow (sxcept maybe streamer cut)so may as well use it for that ... but at a regular field in a regular session on line or off....NNNNNNEVER

And of course they are prone to flying the planes so darned far out ALL the time too!

I think that it takes a year or two to get comfortable flying close by. As the student gets further out, I start asking where they intend to go and if they have filed a flight plan. They just don't see it happening and it can happen fast. My observation, if you are flying with the viewport, you are flying too far out..

Nobody else want a HUD?? (heads up display) on screen it gives you all the flight info you need... airspeed, altitude, direction, distance from origin.. that would be wonderful... it's on my xmas wish list.

And of course they are prone to flying the planes so darned far out ALL the time too!

I think that it takes a year or two to get comfortable flying close by. As the student gets further out, I start asking where they intend to go and if they have filed a flight plan. They just don't see it happening and it can happen fast. My observation, if you are flying with the viewport, you are flying too far out..

Nobody else want a HUD?? (heads up display) on screen it gives you all the flight info you need... airspeed, altitude, direction, distance from origin.. that would be wonderful... it's on my xmas wish list.

A hud would be nice but we do get all that info in the Navguides.

Attachments

• Navguides.JPG
    Navguides.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 9
Back