Can G5 be used to learn thermal soaring?

In America, we likes'em fast and loud... We don't have the Alps to soar in either... The Rockies are pretty good less I get dinged on that point.

Theres a lot more to Gliding than just slopes...
hence the need for a high start /tow launch
fast and loud is fine
but I prefer the comparitively LOOONG unpowered flight times
(DING......you just need a hill slope....... not allways mountains) :D

I am happy for anyone who likes to fly, no matter the means or craft. It is not what you fly, it is that you fly and fly as often as you can. I gladly move over and share my air with another.

A bungie is a type of high start. It uses a bungie instead of the rubber tubing. The bungie is much shorter than the high start's tubing and so is the cord.

They are used for restricted area launches. They don't launch as high and are not for the faint of heart. Their power makes them more of a risk for the glider.

Just an FYI. I have RF V5.5 it does have a high start which is used by all sailplanes except the "T" tail sailplane it has a tow plane. I have logged about 10 hours so far and I can say that the thermal experience is very realistic. It it is possible to climb above the thermal park with all of the arrows in it and fly out towards the mountains and climb higher above the mountains. I wish that the instruments were consolidated and there was a mileage meter. To get high above and out away from the arrow thermal Park area you have to change perspectives or you will not be able to see the plane "except in the magnifier" from the ground perspective. I found i could keep track of the plane from the behind behind the sailplane perspective. There were thermals everywhere once I got the plane up high.

I have ask the tech support people over real flight if there were more sailplane features added in the later versions of real flight but they don't know. Does anyone know if there is more sailplane refinement in later versions of real flight?

Last edited:
Back