Can next RealFlight include 3D graphics?

oreo

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, I didn't know where else to put it.

I love my G4.5. It has taught me how to fly RC quite well however, the one thing it seems to lack realism is in the absence of depth perception. Cutting edge consumer computer hardware is now capable of rendering true, realtime 3D graphics with the aid of 3D glasses (like the ones you would wear to watch a 3D imax film, e.g. Avatar) So, please consider this my request for such a feature in RealFlight G6.0.

Thanks for reading,
J

I am pretty sure it is supported. I don't have 3D glasses or a 3D monitor, but I've seen somewhere in my NVIDIA control panel options for viewing Realflight with 3D and it states in a list that "night time post processing bloom" is the only bug which needs turned off. Can someone verify this possibly? I would love to actually see how this looks if it works, but as far as I know it is supported.

oreo said:
Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, I didn't know where else to put it.

I love my G4.5. It has taught me how to fly RC quite well however, the one thing it seems to lack realism is in the absence of depth perception. Cutting edge consumer computer hardware is now capable of rendering true, realtime 3D graphics with the aid of 3D glasses (like the ones you would wear to watch a 3D imax film, e.g. Avatar) So, please consider this my request for such a feature in RealFlight G6.0.

Thanks for reading,
J

3D Stereovision is already there!

Ever since G3.0 Realflight has worked with 3D Stereovision LCD shutter glasses.

Realflight is listed as having "Excellent" 3D support.

That is indeed the case with all versions including G5.

I've had a myriad of 3D glasses and monitor combos that work with it.

I am now using the Nvidia 3D vision setup with their recommended monitor.

G5 supports this well and it works in conjunction with the TrackIR.

The only caveat is that there can be minor artifacting with the clouds.

For 3D use, I merely turn off clouds on those airfields I will be using.

At the moment Nvidia is the only manufacturer that includes hardware and driver level support for 3D.

If you own "Performance" to "High End" Nvidia card, it will handle 3D Stereovision with aplomb.

In effect the software has no idea that anything is going on.

The software sends the image data to the video card for rendering. The drivers and the hardware automatically take care of the rest.

This permits the Nvidia cards to automatically provide Stereoscopic support for most 3D programs.

Some programs look simply amazing this way.

3D stereovision also highlights shortcuts, cheats and failings in other programs attempts at 3D. It is comical and sad to see where this happens.

3D stereovision also makes many game and sim programs all the much more immersive.

Black Shark DCS with it's six degrees of freedom support for the TrackIR along with 3D stereovision, has to be seen to be appreciated.

The first time you look "around" an obscuring support post in the cockpit, or glance OVER the HUDs to check the condition of the Pitot, you realize that you are in a whole new world! Amazing stuff.

IMHO the expense of the 3D vision glasses and monitors is well worth it.

Oh DCS BS. Bought the game several months ago. I put it on the shelf until I get TraickIR5. It's just too hard to do much without having the ability to look around the cockpit. Also, I would really like to get that Nvidia 3D. I would need a new monitor, so it would be very pricey for this broke college kid,

I'm sure that G5 would look pretty amazing in 3D.

Wow, I wasn't aware... going to check my stuff now. I know everything except my monitor should be plenty capable. Had no idea realflight supported this.

Kmot said:
Never heard of this stuff. More info please. Links? :)
really thats suprising !...as much as your here at the forum and for how long you've been a member :confused:
This subject has come up many many times

This seems like it would be really cool stuff to use on the sim. If only there was a place to go to try before you buy. I have a harder time flying in the sim than I do in real life for a couple of reasons.
1.) no depth perception....and

2.) depending on camera tracking or POV/1st person camera angles, I'll get headaches, disorientation, phantom smells and nausea. It's not the same as motion sickness, but is more related to micro-seizures--Yay for me! I lost my sense of smell 20 years ago, so if I "smell something" it's not good thing. :)

I've never been a big gamer for reason #2. LOL. For some REALLY WEIRD reason my tube courses don't bother me as long as normal maps are turned off. Combat bothers me after about 5 minutes no matter the graphics settings.

I take it 3D vision wouldn't be my best investment choice. LOL.

Maj. Numbskully said:
really thats suprising !...as much as your here at the forum and for how long you've been a member :confused:
This subject has come up many many times
Sorry to disappoint you, but I do not read every thread and every subject. :rolleyes: :p

mwilson914 said:
2.) depending on camera tracking or POV/1st person camera angles, I'll get headaches, disorientation, phantom smells and nausea. It's not the same as motion sickness, but is more related to micro-seizures--Yay for me! I lost my sense of smell 20 years ago, so if I "smell something" it's not good thing. :)

I've never been a big gamer for reason #2. LOL. For some REALLY WEIRD reason my tube courses don't bother me as long as normal maps are turned off. Combat bothers me after about 5 minutes no matter the graphics settings.

Spatial Distortion, I first noticed this while trying to play Castle Wolfenstein 3D, which made me violently ill with nausea and migraine headaches. Other games to an lesser extent, Xbox 360 games like Call of Duty. No problems with RealFlight thankfully.

The Nvidia 3D Vision seems to do a MUCH better job with parallax problems than other and older 3D vision systems.

I watched Avatar in 3D ( TWICE! ) over the holidays, which gave me a bit of a headache by the end of the movie.... that's Parallax at work.

The problem is that we all differ in small amounts, in the amount of space we have between our eyes.

3D cameras and 3D vision systems tend to put the effective distance between the recording cameras at values different than our own eyes.

This leads to headaches as we optically ( and without thinking ) try to compensate for this.

In addition, directors LOVE to overplay the 3D effects... e.g. the broom handle coming "out" of the screen.

That gives contradictory information to our eyes... as our brains are trying to deal with the fact that our FOCUS is set to the distance of the screen....

Fortunately for a good part of the movie Avatar keeps things "behind" the screen, which lessens the focus to depth discreptancy our brain keeps trying to adjust to.

The Nvidia 3D vision software runs you through a set of adjustment routines to help adjust the glasses for your vision. It does a pretty good job!

mwilson914 said:
This seems like it would be really cool stuff to use on the sim. If only there was a place to go to try before you buy. I have a harder time flying in the sim than I do in real life for a couple of reasons.

The problem is that computer 3D visions systems need a bit of fine tuning for the reasons I gave above.

Most stores will not leave these things set up so that people can adjust the glasses / software as the next kid that comes along will walk off with the hardware or screw up the settings somewhat extensively.

Also if your goal is to improve your flying, forgo the 3D glasses.

Instead learn to fly WITHOUT requiring depth perception!

You will encounter MANY situations where you have little to no idea as to how far away a plane is, and sometimes even it's orientation.

Instead learn to use Realflight to learn to fly via visual cues.

e.g. Does your field have a fence? If so use a Realflight 3D field that has one in about the same position.

I teach students to bring the plane in, in line with our barrier fence, and to try to hit a specific altitude as it crosses the runway threshold.

Having them line up along the barrier fence was a good move, as they get this very quickly.

Also learn to fly the plane in the sim WITHOUT know how it is oriented AT ALL.

Start by flying a plane with the view zoomed OUT until it is a dot in the sky.

Stirr the sticks all around randomly, engage smoke ( this helps at first ) and attempt to do vertical and horizontal figure eights.

Being able to fly a plane by how it responds to your inputs is a very important skill.

You will on occasion find that you no longer know which way a plane is oriented.

If you've practiced on the sim, you'll re-establish control quickly...

mwilson914 said:
I take it 3D vision wouldn't be my best investment choice.

It depends... for RC alone? I'd say NO.

But it sure makes other things look rather amazing.

Last edited:
I would have to ask you, how long have you been flying the sim? I actually have vastly much more time on the sim than real life... I think that you become used to a sim field, just as you do a real field. Each sim field takes time for orientation. You are uncomfortable at a new real field because you don't have the visual ques that Opjose spoke of. When people tell me the cannot land on the sim runway... it is because they have not lined the plane up with a distant object exactly like we do at the real field. As you become more comfortable with individual planes and fields, you can cut the corners and land short. I think many of your problems are solved with more sim flight hours. Of course, I don't know all your medical issues.

For me, I am quite mentally into a 3D world without any extra equipment. Many visual cues tell me distance. 3D, I have it going on inside my head.

mwilson914 said:

2.) depending on camera tracking or POV/1st person camera angles, I'll get headaches, disorientation, phantom smells and nausea.

Last edited:
Thanks for all that input opjose. I'm only using Realflight to improve advanced manouvers anyways. I taught myself to fly a 450 size full CP heli with no simulator for the first 4 1/2 months. Then, I got a cheap USB controller and FMS, which taught me how to fly nose in hovering. Eventually found HeliSimRC (marksfiles) --Eventually donated cash--his program deserves it to this day..

I would take the sim heli up to a certain height, close my eyes for a couple seconds while wiggling the sticks around, then open em up and try not to crash. I can't say enough how helpful that training was for me. I became brave enough to try my first loop with my T-REX 450 SE V2 8 months after I got my first heli, the Esky Belt CP. This was my first RC aircraft actually. Within two weeks after doing that first loop, I was performing rolls, loops, tail-slides, nose down funnels, inverted nose in hovering and started in on tail down tic-tocs about 3 weeks later. I did this in real life practice because I couldn't do it in the sim. I can do this stuff now in Realflight fairly well, but not nearly as good as I can in real life.

My whole point here is real life is definately a better learning experience. I can't downplay the sim since I can do piro-flips in real life now thanks to Realflight (3:4 success ratio :) ). I don't know if seeing it in 3D would help improve the experience at all, or landing more spot on in auto-rotation's, but it would be really cool to try out.

I've actually had the headache and nausea issues since "3D games" became widespread. Doom was impossible for me to play. I used FMS and HeliSimRC up until the first week of September 2009 when I installed RF G4.5. I haven't really ever had an issue with headaches or nausea in an RC sim except for one time with one of my tube courses with normal maps turned on and both times I tried combat in G5. After about 10 minutes (my magic time limit) I start to feel sick and my eyes stop tracking together. It takes me hours to recover. Sometimes all day.

I've never had a visibly noticable seizure and I haven't had any brain tumors yet like my mom (knock on wood), but I've had a few other tumors over the past 15 years. I'm on anti-seizure medication and so far haven't had much of a problem with the phantom smells or zone-outs on this newest med. I don't get sea sick or motion sicknes, but certain games and videos wreak havoc with me. My mom and I both occasionally get spindle cell neurofibromas which may be mild neurofibromatosis type 1 (NF1) . Although the last tumor I had removed from my foot this past October was a Masson's Tumor. Still benign though--yay!

Enough about all that. About landing in the sim... I've just never been able to do it well from a fixed ground pilot view because there is no depth perception. I do get better at certain commonly flown AP's but occassionally the camera zoom feature messes me up. I always fly "ground in view" too. In real life no matter the field I can spot land my heli and even my E-Flite SU-26m Sukhoi 480 when necessary--not the maiden flight though. Shhhh.

12oclockhigh said:
I would have to ask you, how long have you been flying the sim? I actually have vastly much more time on the sim than real life... I think that you become used to a sim field, just as you do a real field. Each sim field takes time for orientation. You are uncomfortable at a new real field because you don't have the visual ques that Opjose spoke of. When people tell me the cannot land on the sim runway... it is because they have not lined the plane up with a distant object exactly like we do at the real field. As you become more comfortable with individual planes and fields, you can cut the corners and land short. I think many of your problems are solved with more sim flight hours. Of course, I don't know all your medical issues.

For me, I am quite mentally into a 3D world without any extra equipment. Many visual cues tell me distance. 3D, I have it going on inside my head.

Nausea

I too am a bit nauseous when I am flying the P-51 in combat sim... a bit too intense for me, I am afraid. I really bought the sim for a different purpose, so that is how I use it...

The combat is great... and I may get used to it eventually. I am not a gamer, so not used to the action. I hate getting shot down when I am sitting on the runway, before I can hit the throttle.

I wonder what is going on in the heads of the RF people for G6!

I find that watching your birds shadow
is a great way to gauge "depth"
especialy when you have set the sun at 12:00 (high noon) :D

12oclockhigh said:
I hate getting shot down when I am sitting on the runway, before I can hit the throttle.
:confused: You can't get shot down when your at spawn, before you move. When your translucent, you can't be hit by weapons or planes.

I want to know how they managed to convince people that 3D is cool. It was hokey then, and it's even more hokey now. :confused: The novelty of it wore off when I was about 12. Now it just messes with my depth perception and gives me a headache.

Back