Can not get Kemax plugin to work with 3ds max 2012 32bit

CaseyDearth

Hi I am trying to import a 3d model of the 3DR Iris+ into Realflight 7.5 or X which ever I can get to work. I am having trouble getting the .kem file. I tried putting the Kemax plugin into 3ds max but I get an error code 193 - % is not a valid Win32 application. If anyone could give me some insight on what I need to do I will appreciate it. And yes I have seen the readme file for the plugin but maybe I am not doing it correctly.

Hi I am trying to import a 3d model of the 3DR Iris+ into Realflight 7.5 or X which ever I can get to work. I am having trouble getting the .kem file. I tried putting the Kemax plugin into 3ds max but I get an error code 193 - % is not a valid Win32 application. If anyone could give me some insight on what I need to do I will appreciate it. And yes I have seen the readme file for the plugin but maybe I am not doing it correctly.

Did you run Setup32.exe to Install 3dsMax 2012. I know the first time I just ran the Setup.exe and actually had the 64 bit version of 3ds Max running by mistake.

No I believe I did not. I just ran the file straight from the download.

How did you get that file or do the Setup32.exe?

I am using windows 10

Last edited:
No I believe I did not. I just ran the file straight from the download.

How did you get that file or do the Setup32.exe?

I am using windows 10

I decompress the straight file from the download using 7zip and then inside that directory is a Setup.exe and a Setup32.exe. But if you ran the straight download it should have ask which version you wanted to install 64 or 32 when the install started. Try checking the shortcut you run it with and see if it points to the..

C:\Program Files (x86)

..directory. If it does it should be the 32 bit version. I'm fairly sure the 64 bit version installs in the..

C:\Program Files

..directory.

I've also heard 3ds Max 2012 won't run properly in Windows 10 so if you get it working okay please post here so I'll know. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

It never asked me which one I wanted to install but it did download into the C:\Program Files (x86)
also as far as I know 2012 is working ok on windows 10.

You make the path to the kemax.dle file right?

Last edited:
It never asked me which one I wanted to install but it did download into the C:\Program Files (x86)
also as far as I know 2012 is working ok on windows 10.

You make the path to the kemax.dle file right?

I don't know what else to say I just followed the directions and it worked, sorry. Check and make sure everything is setup the way the readme file says. It seems that the error is saying it's trying to run the dle file, which isn't a valid win32 application. But I don't know, just guessing.

I finally found the Setup32.exe file you mentioned. Re installed 3ds max 2012 through that and it works now. Thank for your time and helping me technoid.

Last edited:
I finally found the Setup32.exe file you mentioned. Re installed 3ds max 2012 through that and it works now. Thank for your time and helping me technoid.

Very good so 3ds Max 2012 does work with Windows 10, that's good to hear because I've seen several reports that say it doesn't. Do me a favor and post here if you have any problem with it because I may install Windows 10 in the future and the reason I haven't done it so far is wanting to make sure 3ds Max 2012 works.

The only problem I have once in a while is the screen will freeze and continue to show the same image. This could be just on my end via graphics settings/card.

The only problem I have once in a while is the screen will freeze and continue to show the same image. This could be just on my end via graphics settings/card.

3ds Max 2012 is a bit buggy and it locks up or sometimes errors out on me and I loose some work. So save often is my way of dealing with it. It does save some recovery files automatically as you work and I've used those a few times to get my work back. There's three of them and they're located here. I don't know the way they choose to create them but I look at the 'modified file' time stamp and see if it's what I want to look at. Like I said, one of them has saved me lots of work a few times.

Documents\3dsMax\autoback

Hi Casey, How did you get a copy of 3DS Max 2012 32 bit?

If you do a Google search for 3ds Max 2012 download you'll end up finding one somewhere but I don't know how you'd get a legal key to install it with these days. Everyone used the free student license you could get for it but they don't do that for the 2012 version anymore because it's so old. So I'm not sure without buying an old copy how you'd get it going these days.

If you do a Google search for 3ds Max 2012 download you'll end up finding one somewhere but I don't know how you'd get a legal key to install it with these days. Everyone used the free student license you could get for it but they don't do that for the 2012 version anymore because it's so old. So I'm not sure without buying an old copy how you'd get it going these days.

You can use any versions license number as long as you have the product key and an installer.

In other words go to max get a key for 2016. Download the bootleg max2012 and install it. Use the product key for max 2012 and the 2016 license #.

See this link for more info. https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=31773

Last edited:
Hi Casey - Will 3DS Max 2013 32 bit work with 2012 Kemax plugin?

Hi Casey, 3DS Max 2012 32 bit is no longer available for download from AutoDesk. But it is still possible to download a 30 day trial version of 3DS Max 2013 32 bit. Do you know if it is possible to use it with the Knife Edge 2012 Kemax plugin?

Hi Casey, 3DS Max 2012 32 bit is no longer available for download from AutoDesk. But it is still possible to download a 30 day trial version of 3DS Max 2013 32 bit. Do you know if it is possible to use it with the Knife Edge 2012 Kemax plugin?

No it only works with 3ds Max 2012.

Back