Can We Have Both G3 & G3.5 ?

LRRP

Alright , I am curious about one thing. Is there any reason why we cannot have both G3 and G3.5 installed on the same computer just different directories? I mean this would solve alot of headaches so we all could have the best of both worlds and test any fixes to G3.5? I see no reason why we could not do this. I have tens of thousands of CAD & CAM programs on my computer with a couple different versions of the software with no conflicts or issues (have to keep at least one version old for client compatability). Is this not possible with Real Flight? If not Knife Edge should correct the installer to allow this, it only makes sense especially since I have read it screws up your original install even if you try to roll back. :confused:

Me too, I would like this too. .448 for when you want an RC simulator for learning and realistic model flight, and 3.5 for when you want a nice fun video game. Presumably we wouldn't have to buy two licences or two computers...

I haven't tried, but I see no reason that this wouldn't be possible. You could install 3.00.480 or whatever as normal. Then copy the entire RealFlight G3 folder to a new directory, call it RealFlightG3_Previous. Create a shortcut to the RealFlightG3_Previous\RealFlight.exe on your desktop. Then run the launcher to update the original installation to 3.50.033.

Travis

vitek said:
I haven't tried, but I see no reason that this wouldn't be possible. You could install 3.00.480 or whatever as normal. Then copy the entire RealFlight G3 folder to a new directory, call it RealFlightG3_Previous. Create a shortcut to the RealFlightG3_Previous\RealFlight.exe on your desktop. Then run the launcher to update the original installation to 3.50.033.

Travis
If you are going to do this, just realize that the copied version will not work through the Launcher, which also means it cannot be uninstalled or updated using the Launcher. It will not be a valid installation; it will just be a copy of the files. If you create a shortcut to RealFlight.exe, it should continue to run, but I want to set your expectations ahead of time. To "uninstall" it, you would just delete those copied files again manually. The real installation should be unaffected.

License issues

Interesting. Does installing twice on the same computer violate the license? I've repeatedly asked for permission here publicly to install on more than one computer and repeatedly been ignored. I don't think there's anything to physically stop me. (Perhaps registration process??). I don't like breaking the rules though.

I want to install and run on my main machine as well as my laptop.

Sammy Yousef said:
Interesting. Does installing twice on the same computer violate the license? I've repeatedly asked for permission here publicly to install on more than one computer and repeatedly been ignored. I don't think there's anything to physically stop me. (Perhaps registration process??). I don't like breaking the rules though.

I want to install and run on my main machine as well as my laptop.
You can do that you just have to have your Interlink controller hooked up and it will be fine.

We can have both G3 & G3.5 on the same computer

LRRP said:
Alright , I am curious about one thing. Is there any reason why we cannot have both G3 and G3.5 installed on the same computer just different directories? I mean this would solve alot of headaches so we all could have the best of both worlds and test any fixes to G3.5? I see no reason why we could not do this. I have tens of thousands of CAD & CAM programs on my computer with a couple different versions of the software with no conflicts or issues (have to keep at least one version old for client compatability). Is this not possible with Real Flight? If not Knife Edge should correct the installer to allow this, it only makes sense especially since I have read it screws up your original install even if you try to roll back. :confused:

Hi,

Yes, you can have both versions on the same computer providing that you take a little bit of care when switching between one version to another. I tried it out tonight and was able to switch back and forth without any side effect.

There are 2 directories (folders) that RealFlight keeps information. They are \program files\common files\knifeedge and \program files\realflightG3.

Suppose that you currently have RealFlightG3 448 on your computer. Copy these two folders to \program files\common files\knifeedge_G3_448 and \program files\realflightG3_448. Then go ahead and upgrade to G3.5.

Once the upgrading process completed, RealFlight G3.5 should be in \program files\realflightG3 and the launcher in \program files\common files\knifeedge.

To switch back to G3, rename \program files\common files\knifeedge to \program files\common files\knifeedge_G3.5 and \program files\realflightG3 to \program files\realflightG3.5

Rename \program files\common files\knifeedge_G3_448 \program files\common files\knifeedge and \program files\realflightG3_448 to \program files\realflightG3.

You should now be able to run G3.

To switch back to 3.5 just do the reverse procedure. I believe you can write a small batch file to do the directory renaming and just click click on the appropriate icon shortcut to switch back and forth.

I was able to switch back and forth between G3 and G3.5 many times without any problem.

Hope this helps,

Dan

PS: The Yak snaps roll much differently between G3 and G3.5! I think I like G3 much better for now!

Back