Can you simulate Expo by editing Physics parameters in RF models?

I Like Pattern

I have been enjoying flying an F3A pattern plane that I downloaded from this site. It flies wonderfully except one exception. Down elevator is way too sensitive. If I were flying the real thing, I could easily adjust Expo for Less down elevator. Can that be done in the real flight Sim? I was thinking maybe in a parameters in physics? Thanks!

I have been enjoying flying an F3A pattern plane that I downloaded from this site. It flies wonderfully except one exception. Down elevator is way too sensitive. If I were flying the real thing, I could easily adjust Expo for Less down elevator. Can that be done in the real flight Sim? I was thinking maybe in a parameters in physics? Thanks!

If you go in the RF Editor and select the Elevator you can find the deflection in the panel on the right. Normally there's only one setting (Deflection) but if you select the Advanced option you'll have settings for both Maximum and Minimum deflections (plus a center setting). To select the Advanced setting use the menu at the top of the Editor.

Options->Control Surface Deflections (select the Advanced setting)

I haven't seen a separate Expo setting for each deflection though.

This shows a misunderstanding of Expo. Dual rates would be a much better way of lowering the travel. Or you could change the total throw. Read Up on what expo is.

This shows a misunderstanding of Expo. Dual rates would be a much better way of lowering the travel. Or you could change the total throw. Read Up on what expo is.

When setting up dual rates on a Spektrum Tx you have the option to select travel and expo for each axis.

On real aircraft I personally I like to keep travel as high as I can get without servo stalling, then just use diff expo (say 10-50%) to help soften travel around centre stick. Using ~30% expo feels like ~70-75% travel around centre stick to me but still gives a lot more when you move sticks to full deflection.

I do understand the difference between dual rate and Expo, and Expo is what I need. Dual rate provides the chance to limit your full through
of the control surfaces an expo allows you to soften the movement in the center of the stick. That's what I'm after.

I do understand the difference between dual rate and Expo, and Expo is what I need. Dual rate provides the chance to limit your full through
of the control surfaces an expo allows you to soften the movement in the center of the stick. That's what I'm after.

Ok, so all you need to do for your selected aircraft is to go to menu/ aircraft/edit aircraft/radio/channel and modify %expo for the channel you want to change. You can also, change % expo for high and low rates. My mapping is Ch1 = Ailerons, CH2 = Elev, C4 = Rudder. You can check the mapping by selecting a ch and moving your sticks. The bottom readout will show you which stick goes from -100 to +100. After this, save the setting using a slightly different aircraft name.

If after you do this Your elevator is still too sensitive it could be because the CG is too far back. You can edit this pretty easy as well; menu/edit aircraft/physics/CG and adjust the Y axis to move it back/forth. The little picture on the editor shows which way it is moving. Generally + values moves it forward. If you are using swap aircraft it is quite common to need to make a few adjustment to make fly the way you want it to.

Last edited:
Back