Cannot boot system with Interlink Elite plugged in

Weatherman67

Apparently I have the "rare" problem of having a BIOS that sees the Interlink controller as a boot device. If I have it plugged in to ANY USB port on my machine, it gets up to the point of the Windows 7 splash screen with the flying orbs and then it goes black and reboots. Also, the boot device error LED on my motherboard stays lit as long as the controller is plugged in at powerup.

However, my problem goes beyond that. This is my real issue. I can live with plugging in the controller after boot. The problem is, I can run RF6.5 just fine for about 10 minutes. Then my system reboots. Happens every time.

I've attached the customer service system dump to this message.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• RF65.txt
    152.7 KB · Views: 6
Running fine then rebooting is a sure sign of a heat related problem on your computer.

What is having a problem is beyond the scope of these forums.

You may want to blow out your machine with compressed air to start with.

Remember that any component could be overheating... CPU, GPU, Memory, etc.

Realflight utilizes more resources than other programs and cranks up the CPU, so it can reveal inherent problems on problematic machines.

Given the failure to boot problem, and this, I'd start looking at some serious hardware issues.

Not so fast. This is not a heat related issue. I thought it may be as well so I was monitoring the temps during my tests and they never exceeded normal range. Furthermore, I can run the heck out of this system with FSX and never have a reboot. In fact, I ran it for 36 hours straight this weekend with FSX cranked up all the way on all graphics options, etc. and didn't have a hiccup. I then shut off FSX and started RF and within 10 minutes it shut down.
The problem is with the Interlink controller. It is the only thing that causes my machine to do this.

I would really like to hear from someone from RF. This issue needs to be resolved.

Yea this is a known issue. Mine does the same thing. Just unplug it and it won't prevent Windows from starting. I always have a mini panic attack when i realize my PC is in an endless reboot cycle till I remember the stupid Interlink is plugged in. As soon as I unplug it, all is well with the world.

Yeah, I know but the rebooting isn't the problem that bothers me. It's not being able to run RF for more than 10 minutes that bugs me. I know that sounds like a thermal issue but I have been monitoring the temps and they don't get out of range. Maybe something happens that causes the PC to try to "read" the Interlink for data thinking it is a storage device. I don't know.

Oooh didn't even see that part. That has never happened to me so I doubt it's a BIOS issue. That is interesting. Have you tried a reinstall of RF?

I have not tried a reinstall of RF but it's worth a shot. I'll give that a try.

I purposely left the Interlink controller plugged in overnight but did not run RF. The PC did not reboot so it is not just the controller by itself causing the issue. RF interacting with it is causing something to happen to trigger the reboot.

The other interesting part of this is there is NO record of the reboot anywhere to be found. I have set up Windows to create a dump file when it crashes but there is never one created when this issue happens. And there are no entries in the system log other than the system starting up.

Not so fast. I then shut off FSX and started RF and within 10 minutes it shut down.
The problem is with the Interlink controller. It is the only thing that causes my machine to do this.

I would really like to hear from someone from RF. This issue needs to be resolved.

Au-Contraire!

This is NOT an issue for Realflight to resolve.

Anything that causes your computer to reboot itself occurs at a MUCH lower level than Realflight itself.

A reboot is caused by hardware or driver issues or corruption of the operating system.

When an actual error occurs with Realflight, all that happens is your computer "crashes to the desktop".

ANYTHING beyond that is a problem with your machine.

It doesn't matter if you are running FSX sucessfully or not, that is unrelated.

You may have DX9 problems, while FSX uses DX10, etc.

That said the Interlink could be exacerbating an existing problem with the machine. To find out, plug the Interlink into the computer and DO NOT run Realflight.

Does the computer still crash after 10 minutes? If not the Interlink draws no more current when it is used outside of Realflight.

It appears as a Joystick device too, so you can even swirl the sticks around for 10 minutes to test if it is to blame.

Does the Interlink cause the same failure to boot problem on another computer?

Remember Realflight itself CAN NOT CAUSE your computer to blue screen or reboot... it simply does not have low level access to your hardware & drivers.

We seem to have someone arguing this once a year and I give them the same advice... each time they end up finding a problem elsewhere too... just search for "rebooting".

Sorry fanboy, I'm not buying it. I'll take this up with RF support. Thanks.

That's ok.... Hard facts don't really care what you think one way or another.

Just because you dislike the answer, doesn't make it wrong.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Just a reminder... this is a user to user forum... Tech support does pop in on occasion. You are always welcome to contact tech support, but the forum is not the best or fastest way to do that.

That's ok.... Hard facts don't really care what you think one way or another.

Just because you dislike the answer, doesn't make it wrong.

Good luck.

I haven't seen any "hard facts". Merely smug conjecture based on your pre-disposed opinion and odd hyper-sensitivity to anyone questioning the sanctity of RF.

I am open to friendly, helpful suggestions and I have enough years of trouble-shooting experience to be open to all possibilities including a problem with my hardware. However, smug, blanket dismissals and border-line bullying in a user forum are things I do not respond well to. I suggest you tone it down a notch and treat people with some respect.

I will look into the possibility of issues with DX9 and I thank you for bringing that difference to my attention. Any other helpful suggestions delivered in a respectful manner will be equally considered and appreciated.

Thanks.

Hard fact: "A reboot is caused by hardware or driver issues or corruption of the operating system.

When an actual error occurs with Realflight, (or with any program for that matter) all that happens is your computer "crashes to the desktop"."

Do a bit of research into "ring 0" and CPU design before you become so dismissive of things you are unfamiliar with.

Of course instead of calling Tech Support to hear the same thing you decided to come back here itching to try to tell everyone you know better.

I am open to friendly, helpful suggestions and I have enough years of trouble-shooting experience to be open to all possibilities including a problem with my hardware.

Why is it always the self proclaimed "experts" who have the most problems?

As an "expert" I supposed you tried what I mentioned too.

Nice report on the results.

I suggest you tone it down a notch and treat people with some respect.

Respect is earned not demanded. Your demands certainly do not merit any.

You came here with the intent to bash the product because of your problems. Anyone who says otherwise is a ( what did you call me? ) "fanboy" in your own words.

Now exactly WHO is not treating people with "respect" again?

Any other helpful suggestions delivered in a respectful manner will be equally considered and appreciated.

I have plenty of suggestions though in your case not a one would be deemed "respectful" at this point.

So good luck, as people must LOVE to help you out. Elicit what you deserve.

Last edited:
Tech Support is not going to help you here with this issue... call them.

Hey Weatherman... if you will just put the other stuff aside for a moment and listen to the message. You will find that he is probably right... I would put Jose's hardware creds up against anyone. Video drivers, sound drivers... are they latest updates? Could be bios. It certainly does sound on the face like a heat issue and there is likely lag with on screen temp reporting. Have you blown out the CPU area with air?

Jose is one guy that really can help you with hardware issues. Yes this is a hardware/driver issue. I write software for a living...I can normally only crash my apps to the desktop... I said normally... leaving a bit of wiggle room.

Keep in mind the number of users of all flavors of RF... if it was a controller issue (not saying it is 100% not) we would be seeing a lot of this in the forum. We are not seeing many write about this.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Last edited:
Back