Canopy tint

tint , on canopy

You scored a 50 % on that one Jeff..

RcPilot There are two way that canopy gets there tint. Most designers just set the Color and Transparency level in there CAD program. So a model made this way, you'll never be able to change it.

The other way is with an Alpha channel added to the map at time the modeler is finishing up his final touches. I'm thinking lest then 10% of the models use this technique. If the modeler used this method you can edit the color scheme with a program like GIMP , Photo shop and many more program that allow saving an TGA file with Alpha ( transparent ) information.

A little more on this, the gray level on the ALPHA layer of the .TGA file will determine how "transparent" the window will be.
How much of this is personal taste, some guys like to make it look very transparent, others leave it at a "milky" transparency.
Once you paint that part of the map to the desired tint, you should get the effect you are looking for.
For G3.5, if the aircraft modeler gave the material some gloss finish in the 3D editor, the material will take on a more realistic texture.
For G4.5, as long as the bits are mapped, you have full control over glossiness and transparency of the Canopy.

Junkboy999 said:
You scored a 50 % on that one Jeff..

The other way is with an Alpha channel added to the map at time the modeler is finishing up his final touches. I'm thinking lest then 10% of the models use this technique.
Aw, c'mon, looks like I got a 90% :eek:

thanks everyone, so basically i open GIMP, select the file, do the repaint then go to the alpha layer and edit the grayness? if anyone has a tutorial or wud like to make one it would be greatly appreciated. i think i know what to do but a tutorial would help make sure i do it right.

I not a gimp user. It gave me so many problems, I went back to an old version of photo shop

But it goes something like this. The main image has the tine color on it and another layer ( the Alpha Layer ) is all shades from black to white. The amount of gray scale controls how transparent that part of the map is.

Here is two picture of a good model that has a big alpha layer mapped on it for the semi transparent covering. You can see where I made a squiggle line in red on one wing in the tint layer.

The layer below it is in a gray scale and it again controls the transparency of the map.

But again remember that the modeler HAD TO ASSIGN THIS PART OF THE MODEL to use the alpha layer on the map.

What model are you wanting to edit. ??? I can check to see if it uses an Alpha channel..

Attachments

• PADCD01.JPG
    PADCD01.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 40
  • PADCD02.JPG
    PADCD02.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 36
Junkboy999 said:
I not a gimp user. It gave me so many problems, I went back to an old version of photo shop

But it goes something like this. The main image has the tine color on it and another layer ( the Alpha Layer ) is all shades from black to white. The amount of gray scale controls how transparent that part of the map is.

Here is two picture of a good model that has a big alpha layer mapped on it for the semi transparent covering. You can see where I made a squiggle line in red on one wing in the tint layer.

The layer below it is in a gray scale and it again controls the transparency of the map.

But again remember that the modeler HAD TO ASSIGN THIS PART OF THE MODEL to use the alpha layer on the map.

What model are you wanting to edit. ??? I can check to see if it uses an Alpha channel..
Im wanting to edit the Yak, Impala, or Electrifly Riot

The Impala does use the Alpha layer. I check it but I'm not the one to help using Gimp

Guess you can say , when it comes to GIMP , I'm a Gimp :eek:

Junkboy999 said:

Nicely done image explaining Alpha!

Now we need the same thing adding specular and bump mapping.

I was trying to work out how that model (PA Addiction) was done. Would the airframe be done in CAD and then clad in a thin sheet (to represent the covering) then texture mapped? It does look like the balsa ends up on the texture map.

You pretty much got it The airframe is made and just wraped with another mesh arround it to make the skin..

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Covering.jpg
    Covering.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 13
More tips

Yep, just think of your Ribs as an object in side the main wing. The Ribs can either be Mapped to a area of the map that is not controlled by the Alpha channel or you can add a CAD Texture Color to them so they will never have to be painted. Just make sure you ribs are smaller them the wing. If they are touching the wing or close to them, they will show through. Like my first try. ( the blue wing )

The first picture shows my ribs and the wing just separated a bit so show them. They should all be over each other in the same location The third one up top is the Coll Mesh for that wings ( ~CS_COLL_LMW )

Now that Phrank figures out what I was doing wrong every time I was converting my 3ds file in ti kex, I get to go back and fix a few projects that I wanted semi transparent wings on.

Attachments

• WING001.JPG
    WING001.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 13
  • WING002.JPG
    WING002.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Cool. I'll give it a try. It means I can use my 3D model to generate plans AND for the realflight model. Collision meshes would be a must for this type of model I assume?

Back