Can't load the RF9 installer on Win 7 PC

ndtaylor-UK

I've just purchased a copy of RF9 in the UK and have tried loading from CD's and from the file download on the RealFlite site on to my Win 7 PC.

Neither of these methods seem to work. When I run the install.exe file after downloading (or from the CD) it asks me if I want to install RF9 and then once I confirm it extracts to the full 100% and then simply stops. No other messages appear and the actual RF9 installer never starts.

I've tried disabling my Bitdefender Total Security when I run the exe file but no change and have checked I have at least 10G of free hard disc space for the install.

On my very first attempt, after I had extracted it came up with a message asking me whether the program had installed properly or did I want to go back and use recommended settings. With either option, it would either freeze PC for several mins or simply do nothing.

Would much appreciate any assistance or advice from anyone who may have seen similar issues while loading on a Win 7 PC. (I've put a request for support into Knife Edge but not yet got any ticket no. or feedback)

Thanks,
Neil
UK

All sorted now. Some points that may help others if they come across this:-

1) I use Bitdefender Total Security 2020 which I would generally rate as a good product for a wide range of PC protection

2) Looks like I had two separate issues (both probably Bitdefender related) with getting the RF9 Installer to run on either of my Win 7 PCs.

a) The installation disc would simply not run when I clicked on the Installer.exe file. It would spin up the disk, ask me if I wanted to allow the file to run and then would simply do nothing

b) So I tried the RF9 download page on the RealFlight webpage and successfully loaded the 3GB Installer.exe file onto my PC. I did this with my Bitdefender ON as I think it is very bad practice/unwise to go to any website with all your Firewalls and Antivirus disabled.

3) I tried running the Installer file but it would either do nothing, or extract 100%, freeze the PC for several mins and then do nothing. During this phase I turned off the Bitdefender and disabled my internet connection.

4) After talking to my techy PC mate, he advised going back to the CD disc method and copying the full contents onto my local hard drive (again with Bitdefender OFF) and then install from those files. This worked and I was able to get the installer to run and I successfully installed RF9.

5) The big surprise for me was that Bitdefender was probably stripping files away or blocking their access in the background but without any warning messages or entry into its logs. So I suspect it may have modified or tagged the Download file from Realflight and made this method unusable. Even with the CD method, Bitdefender must be working in the background and not allowing it to run properly, but again without any messages.

6) Even now that I have RF9 successfully installed, I still have to Disable "Advanced Threat Detect" (despite trying to add exceptions for RealFlight files/progams) in Bitdefender to allow the launcher to Run each time.

Hope some of this may have been useful to others. I know the RealFlight website warns about Antivirus SW, but this RF9 SW and its delivery to the desktop seems to be extremely sensitive to any level of PC protection.

I have been fighting with Norton Security Online a lot lately. I can only see it getting worse as more and more hackers take advantage.

Back