Can't select screen resolution, low frames, "jitters"

Flapper

Using only the Nvidia 4070ti. Disabled the Intel graphics on this PC.
Under "Settings/Graphics/Hardware" DX11 has no ability to choose resolution or other settings.
Per testing in DX9, although my default windows setting is 3840x2160, setting RF to 2560x1440 was optimal.
Unsure what resolution DX11 is actually using - it is much less defined, and rather blurry. No option for full screen, alt-enter seems to make no change.
All Graphics turned up to max settings in the "Settings/Graphics" menu.
In DX9 the Habu 70 4s, still on the runway at RF Ranch, has a FR of 143 and stays very consistently there in flight.
In DX11 it starts when still at 40-41. In flight varies wildly from 22-83. Very choppy/laggy flight.
After a deliberate crash, while view was still, looking at the trees on the mountainside in the distance, in DX11 sections of trees blinked in and out rapidly.
V-synch made no difference in DX11

Have not played with Nvidia control panel or other to see if DX11 could be improved.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    94.4 KB · Views: 2
So I tried knocking down my system to as low as 800x600. As expected, monitor quality in Win was poor (it really wants to be at 2160). But no change to how RF DX11 looks or behaves. At times, at some of the lower resolutions (I tried several) I got momentary frame rates as low as 14 (!). But mostly in the 40-70 range. Tried v-synch, lowering tree density, etc., with no changes. Guess I stay with DX9 a while.....

I see 300 fps with the Habu 4s on the runway, all settings at maximum except for Foliage Density (5%), if I turn density up to 100% I only get 26 fps with model on the runway and very choppy flight motion in the air (12 to 67 fps).

i7 13700 CPU
RTX 4080 GPU
64Gbs RAM

Foliage Density 5% (Default). 304 fps
Habu fps.jpgHabu fps-1.jpg
Foliage Density 100% 26 fps

Interesting to see the Graphics versus Physics frame rates difference with Foliage percentage change.

Foliage 100%,
Graphics 26 FPS,
Physics 85 FPS
Habu 4s Physics-2 FPS.jpg
Foliage 5% (default Graphics and Physics frame rates the same (305 fps).
Habu 4s Physics FPS.jpg

I should have looked at the earlier posts - looks like the issues have already been given case numbers. Despite Ryan's comment that most won't touch the setting, I sure do like the look of the trees (and greatly increased FPS number) at 100% in 9, as illustrated by the screen shots above. Even the low foliage sure gives a performance hit.
Going to 5% in 11 did give me a pretty solid FPS of about 80, so now useable. But still will stick to 9, where windowed I can get 142 with foliage at 100. If I go full screen, I get 440 (!!!).

It seems also that the planes all have a bit of extra "glow" to them. Turning off the night option doesn't seem to have any effect in either version. Not as apparent in RF 8, though...

@Flapper, it sounds like you found some other threads covering the issues you described above. I'm going to link to some relevant ones here to close the loop.

Fullscreen mode is currently under construction and not expected to work at present. The DX11 beta is expected to run in windowed mode at your Windows desktop resolution.

High "Foliage Density" values cause poor performance.

Antialiasing cannot be forced on via the usual graphics manufacturer control panel settings. This thread started out focused on Radeon devices specifically, but we discovered it is a univeral problem.

If you see a difference in the DX11 beta versus DX9 when it comes to plane appearance (you mentioned extra glow), please start a new thread with screenshots showing the difference.

Back