Censoring

Tcopter

I had some friends come over today to see realflight. They want to get into the hobby and buy the sim.

I started up realflight 7.5 multiplayer to let one of their kids have a go at flying. Didn't take long for the embarrassment to set in. :confused::confused::confused::eek:

Picture attached (warning, offensive content).

Is there a way to censor multiplayer sessions?

Attachments

• realflight complaint.jpg
    realflight complaint.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Unfortunately there isn't. Now you understand why many of us fly in the known regular ones with passwords. It's to keep people like that out.

Last edited:
This is unconscionable and unacceptable. $169 sim and there is no censoring?:mad:
I'm not going to recommend realflight to friends that have young children.
Are there other sims with censoring?

Last edited:
You can send a PM to Ryan Douglas. I'm sure he'd be glad to respond if he doesn't read this post and do so here.

I have never seen such a session title before. Maybe it is something new happening lately. We really don't have that problem around here that I know of. The session is still up as of now.

I know that KE would do something about this, but it would not happen right away. You have to keep in mind, this is the freedom of the internet. Maybe in the next version, due out November time frame.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the software publishers, so please don't take it out on them.

The Florida FunPort International is almost always up and not passworded. You could put that airport in your filter server settings and leave it for now or when you have kids around.

I've seen servers and other users with explicit names and titles before this server, so this isn't the first time something like that has popped up. I also believe that the server has been up for a few weeks.

Last edited:
This kind of stuff comes and goes. Always has been, always will most likely. I've seen it before, going back to G4. It's usually kids creating these sessions.

I have never seen such a session title before. Maybe it is something new happening lately. We really don't have that problem around here that I know of. The session is still up as of now.

I know that KE would do something about this, but it would not happen right away. You have to keep in mind, this is the freedom of the internet. Maybe in the next version, due out November time frame.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the software publishers, so please don't take it out on them.

Still up today also. Kinda getting annoying when you want to show others the program. I have church friends that are older/retired and I'm really hesitant to introduce them to the software.

Come on Knife Edge, get on the ball and do something. I'm thinking twice now about buying Realflight 8 when it comes out.

We should let you know... this is a user to user forum. Company reps drop in occasionally, but if you need service. You need to call or e-mail or send message to Ryan.

We should let you know... this is a user to user forum. Company reps drop in occasionally, but if you need service. You need to call or e-mail or send message to Ryan.

Did that, he hasn't responded. Must be backed up with messages.
Thanks for the info though.
I'm going to give Phoenix a try.

Good luck. Because the same thing can happen there.

Did you call tech support? See grey bar at top of this page. "Looking for technical support? Read this!"

We cannot control this... Knife edge will have to do it. I happen to think that a list of banned offensive words would be a good idea, but there are always ways around that. It is a sign of modern times, bad parenting, and just plain being mean.

Last edited:
Good luck. Because the same thing can happen there.

Did you call tech support? See grey bar at top of this page. "Looking for technical support? Read this!"

We cannot control this... Knife edge will have to do it. I happen to think that a list of banned offensive words would be a good idea, but there are always ways around that. It is a sign of modern times, bad parenting, and just plain being mean.

I did contact Knife Edge.
On another note, I have 5 grandbabies that I can't wait to share flying with. We're going to protect our kids from this garbage as long as we can until they enter school and are flooded with it (indoctrination is another issue I won't get into). In the meantime, we'll do our part to keep their minds filtered from junk and try to bring them up with sound morals. RC hobbies are about fun and family and there just isn't a place for this garbage. Realflight 8 really needs to have some filtering in place. I hope they include it.

It is disgusting, but it is the Wild Wild Web. Censorship was not, is not, and hopefully never will be a design consideration. The best KE can do is take a proactive role in managing online sessions. So far they have not shown interest.

It is disgusting, but it is the Wild Wild Web. Censorship was not, is not, and hopefully never will be a design consideration. The best KE can do is take a proactive role in managing online sessions. So far they have not shown interest.

Leaving it up to the user to check a box to filter/censor the offensive language would be a nice feature. If anyone disagrees with this, all I can do is shake my head in confusion. :confused:

Anyhow, it's a waste of time taking this any further. Moderator feel free to lock the thread, I'm over it.

Leaving it up to the user to check a box to filter/censor the offensive language would be a nice feature. If anyone disagrees with this, all I can do is shake my head in confusion. :confused:

Anyhow, it's a waste of time taking this any further. Moderator feel free to lock the thread, I'm over it.

Okay.. I didn't want to do this but sometimes it's necessary to have an opinion. I'm an old white guy.. I'm also a Veteran and have put back into this fine country every time I could. But folks, freedom ain't free and some of us have paid the price for what others take advantage of. Asking Knife Edge to do a better job of monitoring and controlling offense use of their servers is the right thing to expect, and if they fail to do it it's reasonable of a person to call them out for it. I'm also active in my Church and surely wouldn't want someone to visit my house and see the name of that session. It's just plain offensive to most everyone, and clearly should be offensive to everyone if it's isn't. So shame on you if you think it's okay, or support it in anyway... letting something lie when you know it's there is supporting it, Right?

SO.. RYAN why is that session still running? And for the record I support putting something in the next version that will filter that garbage out. Jeez folks in these times of Racial Tension letting something like that go is clearly offensive.

Technoid, I don't think that anyone speaking in this thread disagrees with you. The problem is in implementing it into the software. It is pretty tough to ban all offensive words. Maybe allowing the user to ban a session(add it to a banned list) that they find offensive in the same manner as individual players are banned would be the way to implement this concept. Then the user has control of what appears on their screen.

Let's face it, what you find offensive and objectionable might not push my buttons. Each person's level of annoyance is different. No matter what, the person/people creating and using the session that started this thread, is universally unacceptable. I think the individual ban list is the optimum method to resolve this. We cannot control everything.

Back