Close calls!

WOW! You would have thought as soon as it turned to the right, he would have cut the throttle. Althought I don't know how fast the turbine would have spooled down. But there were other options other than keeping it at full throttle through a crowd I'm sure.

Blade Scraper said:
You can't get closer than that,what a bad pilot. :eek:
http://rcuvideos.com/item/BPLQZH36S2WGV24Z
Cool video. But I would have to disagree on him being a bad pilot. The front wheel hit something and made the front end bounce over to the right and you can not just shut down a jet that quickly. On the other hand he made a very poor choice for his runway :( and his friends made a very poor choice on where to stand.

To make this G3.5 and G4 related:

This is how aircraft should "react" in the sim. If you were to take off on a grass field with a jet (or any airplane) in the sim.....it would be straight as an arrow with no alteration in it's course.

This IS a needed fix or addition to G4.........as it is a major part of the "learning curve" for flying.

All these new pilots that learn on G3.5 - G4 go out to the field and expect their planes to handle perfectly......when they don't roll perfect.....they aren't prepared for what will happen.

josh0987 said:
All I've seen lately is people complaining on how G4 isn't perfect, stop.

It's called constructive criticism. If we continue to point out faults, it will only get better. Not saying anything would make the designers think they have something that has nothing wrong with it, therefore, nothing would ever be improved.

As rcplanefubar said, I would call him a pretty good pilot. That nose really hit something and jostled it, and the only thing he could do was hammer it and take off fast. If he would have waited a split second more, it would have hit the man.

I agree not a bad pilot, bad choice in airstrip for this kind or aircraft. Going along with pplace is that the sim does not recreate this kind of environment. A lot of grass fields are bumpy like this one.

Sorry, but I gotta disagree...
1.)TERRIBLE runway, obviously
2.)Bad place for the crowd, and to take off from
3.)Um, BRAKES are there for a reason. As soon as that thing started turning, he should've had full brakes on, full left rudder, and emergency killing the engine might not hurt either. Although a pretty good (risky) recovery, he should've reacted a lot quicker, and with more action than gas it and pull up.

rcplanefubar said:
Cool video. But I would have to disagree on him being a bad pilot. The front wheel hit something and made the front end bounce over to the right and you can not just shut down a jet that quickly. On the other hand he made a very poor choice for his runway :( and his friends made a very poor choice on where to stand.

This whole problem could have been solved if he moved the plane further away from the people to takeoff.

Jets can take off grass just fine, this guy was just a horrible pilot. First mistake he made, He started the takeoff way to close to the people instead of taxing out further. His second and biggest mistake was to not abort the takeoff immidately when the plane turned toward the people. If you watch the video closely, the turn starts as soon as the jet starts moving, plenty of time to abort the takeoff and stop before reaching anyone.

Its clear to me that those of you that say the pilot could not have avoided that are either newbies, or have never flown anything but a simulator.

Flying jets off that grass field can be done very safely, but an idiot flying a jet is dangerous no matter where he flys it.

JetPilot

Last edited:
Ummmm did you not see that thing bounce like crazy in the first 10 feet? Or maybe it was just me? I agree you can fly off grass fields, but not that one. Too choppy.
I also agree that he should have shut down and shouldn't have been flying that close to spectators.
I do not agree that he is a bad pilot, maybe an intermediate thats needs more practice.
I do blame it losing control on the choppy field. I've nosed in my epp plane from 100' and it didnt even bounce that much.

Back