Cold Gold

rjmanzuk

As an old real world F-86 driver, among others, I couldn't resist when a friend suggested that someone request this color scheme for our beloved F-86s in RealFlight.

Any bored artists that would like to do this one?

rjmanzuk said:
As an old real world F-86 driver, among others, I couldn't resist when a friend suggested that someone request this color scheme for our beloved F-86s in RealFlight.

Any bored artists that would like to do this one?

I was pointed to G3.5 and an existing F-86 variant with this CS... but it is an unfinished shortfall job on the CS.

Onderunway

Last edited:
Let's try it ...

Old Fart said:
I downloaded that CS, should still have it. I suppose I could copy it off and email it to you?
Hi, guy. Why not give it a try. Not often that a 3.5 CS will transfer cleanly to 4.5, but every now and then even a blind squirrel gets an acorn. Sounds like charlie doesn't think much of the caliber of the CS ... which might explain the artist's eventually pulling it off the swaps. Appreciate it if you send it over and we'll see if it'll cleanly import.
Thx.
How're things at LAX these days?

rjmanzuk said:
Hi, guy. Why not give it a try. Not often that a 3.5 CS will transfer cleanly to 4.5, but every now and then even a blind squirrel gets an acorn. Sounds like charlie doesn't think much of the caliber of the CS ... which might explain the artist's eventually pulling it off the swaps. Appreciate it if you send it over and we'll see if it'll cleanly import.
Thx.
I tried the CS in G-4.5 and it is mixed up so we need a new one, as onderunway says it is not a very good CS.

rjmanzuk said:
Thx.

I hope you're not suggesting that _I_ attempt a CS - I can barely stay within the lines in the nieces coloring book :)

Going good at LAX - busy as hell. Qantas is pissy today - their ginormous Airbus A380 has been upstaged by a C-5B on the west ramp :eek:

Here's a start....

I could finish it if it is going the way you envisioned it? Lots to do still, this is just from this afternoon's work...

Question...Are the undersides of the wing and tail exposed metal or painted gold? It looks like the wings at least are bare, I have tail and wings bare underneath right now...

Griff
twoeleven

Attachments

• HAWKS.jpg
    HAWKS.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 27
bare is good

twoeleven said:
I could finish it if it is going the way you envisioned it? Lots to do still, this is just from this afternoon's work...

Question...Are the undersides of the wing and tail exposed metal or painted gold? It looks like the wings at least are bare, I have tail and wings bare underneath right now...

Griff
twoeleven
Lookin' good, Griff. IMHO, the undersides of the wings, undersides of the horizontal tail (stabilators), the leading edges of the wings (slats and maybe slots), and the belly of the whole fuselage are all brushed aluminum finish. Are you going with the maple leaf insignia?
Bob

Well, It started out as an experiment to see how much work it would be, but now I'm neck deep in it. More than just a re-color, alot had to change. Overlaying the Hawk's artwork made me realize how out of scale some of the details were on the F-86 donor, like the 6 canon divots had to be completely redone, and nailing the canopy blackout was no simple task...Next thing you know, the challenge was on...

I will try to get it close to your photos, then add some fuse lines and more detail. This is still VERY rough, but the layout is coming along.

I will have to see about the belly being bare, I am sure I can do it, wings and tails are bare underneath. More tomorrow, but here's tonight's progress.

Thanks for the motivation, great looking jet.

Griff
twoeleven

Attachments

• HAWKS2.jpg
    HAWKS2.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 30
I don't even know the guy, but he gave of his time and effort to produce that. It may not meet your expectations, but have some feeling and appreciation for the effort. I can see why he withdrew his work. You never know what someone is capable of producing with practice. Instead of encouragement.... this is what he got. There are those that do, and those that criticize.

onderunway said:
I was pointed to G3.5 and an existing F-86 variant with this CS... but it is a absolute criminal job on the CS.

Onderunway

Insert Motivational Quote Here...

I really hoped to be rolling "Cold Gold" out of the hanger by now, I had almost twelve hours into it when disaster struck, and I lost it all.

I will skip the gnarly details of how it went down, but multiple files open in Photoshop combined with many saves and switches to RF to check progress finally got the better of me when I overwrote my hard work and saved the wrong file, flattening out 28 seperate layers of work. I could have gone back had I realized the error was made, but I had exited Photoshop and RF for the night...I had no backup.

Good news is these kind of setbacks tend to really motivate me, so with all I had already figured out, recreation took half of the original time. This morning I am pretty much back where I was, with what I think is going to be a more accurate color at multiple fields, with cleaner lines and far fewer imperfections.

I will recreate the Hawks artwork tonight (second greatest loss, biggest loss was the blackout on the nose...VERY difficult because of how it is mapped), I'll add some panel lines, tail art, and she will be ready to go. I didn't plan on this delay, but I think it will be a better product after all.

Griff
twoleven

Here's my last shot before the crash, and current state of affairs:

Attachments

• Cold Gold RIP.jpg
    Cold Gold RIP.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Cold Gold REBORN.jpg
    Cold Gold REBORN.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Almost done...

Version two is sweeter anyway!

I'm just a few cleanup details away from being done, and I'm not sure what will look best...Did you want a squadron style "GH" on the tail, or the 100th Anniv. tail in your shots...I should have asked that earlier...

Any preference?

Thanks,

Griff
twoeleven

Attachments

• GH5.jpg
    GH5.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Cold%20Gold9.jpg
    Cold%20Gold9.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 15
  • GH6.jpg
    GH6.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Cold%20Gold.jpg
    Cold%20Gold.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 11
  • GH1_edited-1.jpg
    GH1_edited-1.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 15

twoeleven said:
Version two is sweeter anyway!

I'm just a few cleanup details away from being done, and I'm not sure what will look best...Did you want a squadron style "GH" on the tail, or the 100th Anniv. tail in your shots...I should have asked that earlier...

Any preference?

Thanks,

Griff
twoeleven
Considering the CS artist, it seems like a squadron level "211" on the tail might be appropriate. Thanks for going the extra mile for us all, Griff, after you lost your original work.

Back