Cold Gold

Looking Great! Twoeleven

Twoeleven...it's looking great...and a tribute to a legendary aircraft...Thanks..

Onderunway

Tutorial?

Mikeymike21 said:
Cool cool, but use the specular map!!!!!!!!!! :)<
Mikey ... for the educational benefit of those of us who don't know about such things, but are definitely interested in learning, can you point us to some reading material on just what "specular maps" are? thanks.

You gave new life to an old bird!

(Specular maps are the maps you use to define a surface's shininess and highlight color)

Specular Maps...

Okay, excuse my noobieness, but I think I figured it out....?

If I select the areas on the "_s" layer of the plane that I want to add additional sheen to, then distort with a noise filter, I think it makes those areas more shiny?

For example, when I save a color scheme, I have been only modifying the color layer. So, even after hours of hard work, when I insert the modified color layer back into the file that also contains the (unmodified) _s and _n layers, the _s tga file doesn't show my changes.

What I just experimented with is copying the parts I wanted to be more reflective onto the unmodified _s layer, removed the color, added a noise filter, flattened and saved that new _s layer over the original _s layer...It appears I am picking up some additional reflections over the parts I painted. Is that the idea?

So far this sim has challenged me to learn 3D Wings, Blender, modification of the physics and electronics, and now specular mapping? Jeepers, I bought it so I wouldn't crash my Blade 400! :eek:

If I am on track, I'd be more than happy to upload the "Specular" version of the CS. If not, I'm gonna need a pointer or two!

Please let me know, if any of you can help?

Thanks,

Griff
twoeleven

Thanks

Mikeymike21 said:
Sure, but i'm busy now so i'll do it later. (;
Some dude by the name of Google had some time, so I'm good for now. Sorry to trouble you. Stay too busy for as long as you wish.

Okay, after days of bashing my brain with endless color combinations, and various mods to all three maps in the CS, here is a version that works correctly with Normal maps "on", and flexes a bit of extra shine from the specular map.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/8863

Looks like a gold-foil wrapped styro-jobby, but the detail of the original RF model came out cool if you run Normal maps on.

I've had enough gold jets for a while...

Enjoy!

Griff
twoeleven

Attachments

• F-86 Golden Hawks Spec Norm.jpg
    F-86 Golden Hawks Spec Norm.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 9
  • F-86 Golden Hawks Spec Norm 2.jpg
    F-86 Golden Hawks Spec Norm 2.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 12
  • F-86 Golden Hawks Spec Norm 3.jpg
    F-86 Golden Hawks Spec Norm 3.jpg