color scheme editing question: what to do with myPlane_N.TAG and myPlane_S.TAG files

Hi, I have already experimented basic stuff, for any aircraft available in RF we can save the only available color scheme withg other names, edit the 1st TGA file with glimp and you can have several color options, its easy, quick and great functionality. after edit and select the aircraft, RF converts the three TGA files into DDS files and later we can delete all TGA files as far as RFA do not use them anymore.

What I have not figured out is what to do with the 2nd and 3rd TGA files (those named as myPlane_N.TAG and myPlane_S.TAG ) there is no explanation at all in RF user manual

Does anybody knows if there is some reading, video or any reference that could help me to understand?

thanks in advance

Here's a link to a lot of Realflight Tutorials.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/how-to-build-your-own-models.20971/

And I'll give you a basic understanding of the MYColorScheme_s.tga and MYColorScheme_n.tga and I'm sure others will expand on it.

The MYColorScheme_s.tga is the (SPEC MAP) which has two parts, the RGB Layer and the Alpha Channel. The RGB Layer controls the Specular Level of the colors and the Alpha Channel controls the Glossy Level of the colors. The MYColorScheme_s.tga is a 32-bit TGA.

The MYColorScheme_n.tga has one part (RGB Layer) that controls the Raised and Recessed areas of the color scheme and is normally used to add Panel Lines and Rivets but can be used to add raised and recessed areas for other reasons. The MYColorScheme_n.tga is a 24-bit TGA.

So if you only want to change the color of the plane you only need to edit the MYColorScheme.tga file and can leave the other two files alone. Most color schemes only have two files, the MYColorScheme.tga, and the MYColorScheme_s.tga. Unless the color scheme has panel lines and rivets there generally won't be a MYColorScheme_n.tga file. (NORMAL MAP)

Last edited:
Back