Color Scheme Help!!!!

Bullet0630

Hello, ladies and gents. im here looking for a helping hand. ive downloaded Gimp to kind of get me started with custom color schemes, but all I can seem to do is simple color changes and fills ins. I want to do full custom color schemes, Like these for the P-51 and F9F. Can someone please give me a hand here???

Attachments

• F9F Panther.jpg
    F9F Panther.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 6
  • F9F Panther1.jpg
    F9F Panther1.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 5
  • F-51.jpg
    F-51.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 4
  • F-51 1.jpg
    F-51 1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 6
I`ve used gimp for all of my CS`s, let me ask first, do you know how to use the brush and pencil and the color picker..?? You may want to give us a little more detail about any specific problem you have. ALSO, do you know how to cut/copy and paste. paint programs take some learning, but in reality, you can use just the basic tools available in GIMP, and achieve real good results. it takes baby steps, but once you learn the basics, CS`s aren`t that hard, BUT depending on the CS, they can be time consuming.

If you need more help with it, let me/us know. One thing I can tell about them is, to use the pencil on your horizontal/vertical lines AND the brush on diagonal lines and circular situations, also learn to use your left mouse key and the shift key on your keyboard to speed up making any "lines" from point "A" to point "B" on the .TGA file that you`re working on. You can also change the size of your brush/pencil stroke from one pixel (very small) to very large. need more answers, just ask. I`ll get back when I can, in the meantime, experiment with it....;):D

Have you tried youtube for GIMP tutorial videos. Making a CS employs many techniques used for any other image editing project. There is much to be learned on youtube.

Uncle Twist is right, play with the major tools and learn how they work before worrying about the finished product. Cut, Copy, Paste, Rotate and Scale are your best friends ļ. Lots of good tutorials here on Gimp too. Lot of guys helped me, glad to share what I learned.

So you know about ¡§bucket fill¡¨, just beware¡K a lot of Paint Schemes on Swap Page were done that way, and sometimes you cant see the parts layout anymore¡K.the whole image is one solid color¡K..so don¡¦t kill yourself working on a paint scheme you cant even see where parts are¡K.you¡¦ll go nuts, believe me!

The next most important thing to grasp is the idea of working in LAYERS¡K.

You can create LAYERS, like individual sheets of clear film over the color scheme you¡¦re modifying¡Kthese layers will have ONLY the new things you paint on them, without disturbing anything painted UNDERNEATH that layer. You can have as many layers as you want, and re-arrange them in whatever ¡§order¡¨ you like.

This is important for things like decals, numbers and such¡Kyou can cut, paste and move them around on the new layer without having to repaint where they ¡§used to be¡¨ if you decide to move them later on (and you will!)

Ultimately, its best to have a STRATEGY in mind for (re-) painting your plane¡KWhat existing parts in the colors scheme will I leave alone? What parts do I want to change the main colors of? Then create a separate Layers for each major change. You can screw it up, wipe it clean, and start over again without destroying whats underneath (or above) it¡Kyou can also toggle them visable/invisible as needed while you paint...

My basic Layer Strategy is:

1) Outline Layer. I draw the major component outlines with a thin black line. These are my ¡§master lines¡¨. ¡Ka really good reference to have as its own layer, in case I start painting over the edges of things and lose track of where the end of that wing tip really is.

2) Large Parts/Basic Colors Layer. This is where I paint the major color change(s) for my plane vs the original¡K.This is why keeping the ORIGINAL IMAGE as its own, undisturbed layer is key¡Kif the original was well done and looked realistic in the sim, you can mimic WHERE some of the major shade changes occur in the original, to create that sense of ¡§roundless¡¨ or ¡§recess¡¨ in the same places with your new colors.

3) Medium Parts Layer¡K.I often do aileron/tail/control surfaces on a separate layer, with more precise shading to simulate ribs, etc¡K.. Lots of trial and error here, its just easier to do as a separate layer without disturbing the whole wing¡Kexperiment with a ¡§red tail¡¨ vs ¡§yellow tail¡¨? ¡K.Again, saving the original image as the bottom layer is key¡K.. How many ribs were there, where exactly WAS that darker shade ¡§hinge line¡¨ again?

4) Panel Lines Layer....they cover a lot of surface, and are hell to ¡§fix¡¨ if they aren¡¦t on their own layer. Sometimes I¡¦ll even do the Vertical and Horizontal ones as separate layers just in case.
ļ
5) Smaller Parts Layer. Doors, hatches, fuel caps, vents¡K.Too many? Not enough? Cut, Copy, Paste Delete, move them around till it looks ¡§right¡¨ without messing up (and repairing!) the rest of the paint scheme each time.

6) Rivet Layer¡K. Take your time to make a small precise evenly spaced line (like 5 or 10), then copy and paste over and over to make longer straight lines¡KYou can ¡§rotate¡¨ whatever you cut and copy, so lining up any angle of rivets possible, and you can erase and start over when you change your mind about how many is TOO many, ( in case it starts looking ¡§cluttered¡¨?) ¡K..rivets are a suicidal undertaking without doing them in a separate layer!

7) Decals, stripes, numbers and markings. You can make several layers for different versions of the same plane¡KArmy, Navy, Marine¡KBritish?

I realize that¡¦s a lot to digest in one post, but its import to think strategically with Gimp layers, otherwise you¡¦ll get really bogged down in painting the minutia and always being frustrated
Figuring out WHAT youre trying to do in an orderly fashion is just as important as HOW¡K.
Have fun!

Last edited:
Back