computer crashes with GeForce GTX650Ti

john76

Hello. New to the forum. Just bought a new Dell XPS 8700. i7 processor, 16 GB RAM, 64 bit Windows7, NVIDIA GeForce GTX650Ti. I run RealFlight4.5 and within 2-4 minutes the computer crashes. I called Dell, and they had me install current driver (version 9.18.13.2049, date 6-21-13). Well, same problem.

The tech mentioned checking on Knife Edge to find out about settings I need to adjust to get it all to work. Any advice? Just bought a Blade mCPX BL and I need sim time! Thanks.

Realflight itself CAN NOT cause your computer to crash in any way shape or form.

It uses the resources provided by the system to run the simulation.

At very worst all Realflight does is it performs a "crash to desktop" meaning it stops running and you are returned to the desktop.

If your system is returning to the desktop, then in all likelihood one of the required library ( DLL ) files is being superseded by another installed file. Finding this can be a bit tedious, but it does not indicate a problem with Realflight nor your computer.

On the other hand.... ( the bad news... )

If your computer hangs up, freezes, blue screens, etc... then the problem has NOTHING to do with Realflight... that said Realflight is very good at using all available computer resources and CPU cycles.

The latter exposes inherent problems in computers that owners may not have previously discovered.

If any of the latter is happening, your computer could have one or more of the following problems:

- Bad driver installation, try a "clean" install option after uninstalling the old drivers.
- Your computer is overheating, does it run longer/better if you blow compressed air on the circuitry every few minutes? If so there is no doubt this is happening.
- Your computer's power supply is not up to the task.
- Your motherboard has power regulation issues, a new motherboard may be required...
- Your motherboard has problems with bus mastering devices..

Download and install 3DMark and let it run multiple passes of the benchmark software. You'll likely find that you'll have the same problem with this program...

However given that, you have grounds to go and scream at Dell about selling you a defective machine... NO COMPUTER should EVER crash when running 3D benchmark software like this that exercises the machine at max.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I've spoken with Dell. We re-installed video card drivers, updated the BIOS. Same problem. They are sending me a new video card. Hopefully this solves the problem.

I am surprised they changed a video card so quickly, I would have ruled out all software first including a clean install of Windows, and the latest driver first. I have had video cards go bad and usually it starts to pixelate first on all screens it displaying including the BIOS menus.

Good News

I've got good news to report. Dell did ship out a new video card, as promised. Well, I opened the computer, and inspected the original vid card. Hmm, just below the vid card is the audio card. The cable (pretty beefy) from the audio card was positioned so that it pressed up against the cooling fan of the vid card, preventing it from spinning I assume. I repositioned the audio cable well away from the vid card and closed the box. Next I started up RealFlight and ran it. 1 minute...2minutes...so far so good...3, 4. I let it idle, 1 & 1/2 hours later...still no crash.

So, I'm hoping this was the issue and that it is now resolved.

One question...do i leave the original card in the computer, call Dell, tell them what I discovered and ship back the replacement card, or do I replace the original card with the replacement, call Dell, explain it all? Did the cable pressing against the cooling fan cause some kind of damage, or is the original card just fine?

Upside is I've learned a lot more about RealFlight (awesome software!) and pc's. It's all good.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Personally, I'd keep the new one in the box, run the old one and see if there's a problem. The fan not running might have caused hidden issues. If not, hey, you have an extra.

My Take on the two cards...

Load up an Overclocking utility that performs testing and verification.

Let it find what the maximum is for the current card... preferably after a good 2-3 hour test. You want something that checks for artifacting, etc., while overclocking.

Swap the cards and do it again.

Keep the card that can take the highest overclock rates.

Note that you DO NOT HAVE to run the card overclocked at all... but the one that has the higher tolerance has a better safety/spec margin and should be kept.

Then you can send back the looser.

----

BTW: Your machine's problem qualifies as "overheating"...

Last edited:
Back