Computer-Illiterate RealFlight Noob Experience; Nay, Evolution!

ZaDeer

Total RealFlight newbie here - think I played it a handful of times as a kid at the 'local' hobby store an hour away 20+ years ago, so I consider that newbie territory. Recreational RC enthusiast (2 Champs, 1 Dynam Tigermoth, 1 Miss Geico 36, 1 HPI 5sc flux, various drones), recreational gamer (Halo/COD to Zelda to Forza), know my way around a computer enough to be dangerous but nothing a cursory Google search couldn't bring up for the average user.

Anywho, just bought a copy of RealFlight 9.5S w/ InterlinkDX USB controller via Amazon as I wanted to keep my skills up over the winter. The Dynam Tigermoth is my first 'big' RC plane purchased this past May, so ideally wanted to just stay roughly up to speed with orientation and finger/hand movements as to not crash right off the bat come spring time.

While waiting for it to arrive I started doing some research, jumped on the forum and immediately started to question my purchase. Were my computer specs going to work with the software? Is my HARDWARE going to work with the HARDWARE? Powered USB hubs, directx 9 vs direct x12, the list went on as I'm sure you've all read. Well package arrived late last night, hit download on Steam of both RF 9.5S and the INCLUDED RF Evolution on two different laptops and went to bed. Woke up about an hour ago, got giddy as a schoolgirl once I remembered the previous night's efforts to make a rainy Saturday morning fun and started with 1 of 2 laptops.

Laptop 1: right off the bat every USB port would not recognize the Interlink DX tx. I don't have a powered USB hub so scratch laptop 1 until USB hub arrives.

Laptop 2: right off the bat first USB port recognized Interlink DX and set up controller. After setup checked other two USB ports, all a go. Immediately open RF Ultimate, set the controller per screen instructions, realize how simple the menu is to navigate with Interlink DX over mouse/keyboard and jump in a plane I've always wanted: Sopwith Pup. After having flown the Tigermoth quite a bit this summer I was very happy to 'feel' the bipe difference in the physics. Many of you have played RF in recent years so you already have an understanding of this sim, but I was quite impressed that it really did feel like a simulator and not just some video game.
PXL_20221105_091404045.MP.jpg

Time to check out RF 9.5S. Opened the software, adjust controller, etc etc. As someone who is oriented with game controllers and was happy using the InterLink DX for navigation on RF Ultimate I was a little disappointed to have to reach for the mouse (also was very happy sitting on the couch w/ computer plugged in to projector, but my laziness digresses). Decide to jump into another plane I've lusted after, T-28 Trojan. Again, having flown low wing warbirds in the past I was very happy to 'feel' the difference between this and the Sopwith Camel in Evolution. Went a little more aggressive with the flying, crashes ensued, but very fun experience.
PXL_20221105_093138019.MP.jpg

Now to the brass tacks: overall experience. If I only had laptop 1 at my house I would immediately give it 3/10. I am waiting for the USB hub to arrive but I've used laptop 1 for two years and never had a USB hardware issue. Anything from mouse/keyboard to flight sticks/sim wheels has worked on this computer. This has been my go to computer for CAD work, 3D printing, laser cleaning software - it. just. works.

Thankfully there was laptop 2. This is my home laptop, little larger screen but very similar build. Laptop 2 had both RF Ultimate AND the originally purchased RF 9.5S up and running in less than 5 minutes. No glitches, no timeouts, no problems but my own navigational laziness regarding RF 9.5S. 9/10

Laptop 1: Dell Latitude E5410, Intel Core i5 M 560 2.67GHz, 8GB RAM, running Windows 10 Pro 21H2, Directx 12 w/ feature levels 10_0, 9_1

Laptop 2: Dell Inspiron 5559, Intel Core i5 6200U 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, running Windows 10 Home 21H2, Directx 12 w/ feature levels 12_1, 12_0, 11_1, 11_0, 10_1, 10_0, 9_3, 9_2, 9_1

I wanted to make this thread to provide a detailed understanding on how different an experience one user can have with the RealFlight software as it stands NOW. I understand there will be a move to Directx 12 in the 'future' but there is no set timeline, and while as a gamer I see this as absolutely ludicrous why any software developer would still be on Directx 9... RealFlight 9.5S AND RealFlight Evolution still work as advertised.

I patiently watched as new RF editions came out, questioning when the right time to purchase it would be. I thought RF X was the ticket but I was college poor and when I finally got back into RC I just went right to the real thing. Very happy to have waited until now, with Knife Edge and RF parting ways in 2021 and having the latter bought by Horizon Hobby with KE software engineers brought over to HH the digital sky might not be the limit.

Still going to keep an eye out for KE development of RF X, but not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that, ZaDeer! I'm glad you're enjoying RealFlight Evolution! Cool setup.

Sorry you encountered that issue with laptop 1. That is a known issue affecting some InterLink DX units in combination with some computers. The vast majority of users are not affected, for what it's worth, but that's little comfort when you are one who is. At any rate, support can help you out there, but it sounds like you've already ordered a hub. That should do the trick.

Back