computer suggestions

ChrisRhays

We need to upgrade our computer and i just recieved RF for my birthday, What would be some options to run this on a new computer. We do not mess with much on the computer since we both work on them all day at work so it would probably be all its used for besides paying bills and such

Thanks
Chris

RF Evolution itself doesn't need a super gaming-type computer, at all. You can easily find the "recommended" specs.
That said, it all depends on your budget, how long you think you might own the computer, and how much/little you will use it for other "game" type applications. Desktop or laptop also drives some of the choices. We have no clue as to future updates for RF that may drive the need for better hardware, so going "better" is unknown.

The overall driver for a new PC would be: Laptop or desktop? Any limit on desired screen size? Might you change your mind about future use? Buy for the longer term, or "good enough" for the next couple of years? Your budget - what you hope to spend, and what the max you would ever want to spend...

I agree with everrything Flapper said. If you don't NEED a laptop, I'd recommend a desktop. The portability can be nice, but laptops tend to be more expensive, and are MUCH less upgradable. A desktop/tower that's "good enough for the next couple years" can usually be upgraded fairly inexpensively by adding a dedicated GPU, a better CPU, or more RAM and/or storage. With a laptop, you're pretty much stuck with whatever you've got. RAM & storage can usually be upgraded, but that's about it. I prefer the flexibility of a desktop - preferably in a standard generic form factor that lets you replace literally every part a piece at a time. I went 20+ years without ever completely replacing my computer in one go. But at the end of that time, not a single piece of the original PC was left. As the technology changed, I replaced outdated parts one by one.

So, given the general comments above - what are the general answers - desktop or not, screen size, cost? From there we could name some that easily fit.

My last upgrade was to a system that I now display on a 4K TV, the big screen is awesome for all my simulator needs, I can't imagine being stuck on a small laptop screen these days, depends on your situation though... Good luck!

sorry i have been slammed the last few days, if i did go the laptop route i would just run it off the tv and not even use the screen.. amazon has some pretty good deals right now on laptops and desktops

says my link has to be approved found these two on amazon

jumper 16 Inch Laptop, 16GB RAM 512GB SSD, Laptops Computer with 12th Intel N100 CPU(3.4GHZ), 1080P FHD IPS Display(1920x1200), 2.4G/5G WiFi, 4 Stereo Speakers, Cooling System,​

KAMRUI Mini PC 32GB RAM, Intel Core i5-12450H(up to 4.4GHz) Mini Computer Tower,512GB Small Desktop Computers Support 4K UHD WiFi6 Type C​

Last edited:
Since you don't plan on using the screen, I'd probably go with the miniPC. Better CPU, more threads, more RAM, higher performance, and better expandability to add more storage. But keep in mind that a miniPC is more-or-less a screenless laptop with limited upgradability as compared to a full size desktop PC.

Back