Connection Errors...... Why?

greeneyedeagle

Is the 4.5 version that new? I hear people talking about it being a beta version but when did it go out of that status?
It's hard to believe that its that unstable with multi-player. I was fine all day today and now, without changing a thing, its telling my that a port connection can't be made and I must forward ports and make sure uPnP is enabled.... well
it is and has been from the get go....nothing changed on my end. We all were getting the list server error this past weekend and now its "connectivity".

Just weird how its a hit or miss thing right now.

I'm guessing you recently updated. The original 4.5 multiplayer engine was 'buggy.' It allowed people into sessions who were not properly configured with ports, etc. This caused sessions to crash, if you thought you were configured properly, but you weren't. Now it checks to see if your ports are open. If they are not, it won't let you in. 4.5 MP is extremely stable now, when done right.

The server was down this weekend, but it is up now. No problems with MP for me.

Then what should I check?
My firewall on my DSL router is disabled
My two port ranges are being forwarded to a static IP on my router
My routers Upnp is enabled
My computer is set to the static IP where the ports are to be configured
My windows firewall is off
and finally my Virus protector has real flight set to allow everything.

Am I missing anything? Works great for a while and then will not connect at all.... I'm now getting the "verifying connection" must be behind a firewall etc etc.

Last edited:
What about your modem? Do ports need to be forwarded there? A good test is to bypass your router, and to (temporarily) plug directly into the modem. Does it work then? Can you post a screenshot of your router port forwarding page?

Last edited:
MY ports are configured CORRECTLY and I have been having and complaining about the same exact thing for weeks now!!!
I have not changed any settings that have any thing to do with the port settings
I can join or host but once i do that and leave a session
or go to the forum for example and leave RF running in the background ....
when I try to join (or re-join) a session .... BAM I'm hit with the port connectivity error!!!!
but If I then re-boot my pc .....every thing is fine again????????

greeneyedeagle said:
Then what should I check?
My firewall on my DSL router is disabled
My two port ranges are being forwarded to a static IP on my router
My routers Upnp is enabled
My computer is set to the static IP where the ports are to be configured
My windows firewall is off
and finally my Virus protector has real flight set to allow everything.

Am I missing anything? Works great for a while and then will not connect at all.... I'm now getting the "verifying connection" must be behind a firewall etc etc.

Man, I haven't seen any of the stuff in this or the following posts since the last few betas. I see 1 thing that doesn't look right. I believe you should disable UPnP. And I think you are really running huge risks with no firewalls at all. I use both Windows and a router firewall and when properly configured, they are transparent to the ports required.

What I hae seen is load issues when more than five or six people are connected. Things seem to go south and rather not predictably.

It would seem we need mo' better debug and ananlysis tools for some of us to find out what's really goin' on.

Regards
Michael

Maj. Numbskully, if possible, you should try a different NIC in that machine. There isn't any reason you should be having the trouble you are having (where you have to reboot) and I don't see anyone else reporting that they have to go through that process after joining once. Personally, I connect to the directory server all day long with three different machines and have gone days w/o rebooting any of them.

For the record, when the "Port Test Failed" error message happens it is the result of one condition and one condition only - RealFlight could not send a connection IN from our server to your machine. That means that something stopped the connection from happening on your end. Finding out what that thing is that stopped it (firewall, router, some other security software) is the task at that point. Not having your ports forwarded on your router (or not forwarded correctly) is the most common reason.

I am not behind a router just a "RCA DCM 425" modem (that does not have an internal firewall or internal router ...I've done my homework on that)
I have each (all 34 using the UDP Protocol) ports open in the XP firewall as well as RF listed as an "exception"
I was a hard core beta tester when you were testing betas
weird that the error comes and goes??/
I don/t have a seperate NIC
my NIC is integrated into my mother board
it is made by realtek and I'm sure that there are hundreds(maybe thousands) of other RF users who have the same NIC
my PC is less than a year old so my NIC is'n't really that far out of "date"
I have NO problem with my internet at all
i can do anything i like( EXCEPT join 4.5 mp session occasinaly) as well as joining online games
so I would be very reluctent to change my NIC even if I could
may be I'm getting My "errors" mixed up
this is the error (see attach)I and many others lately
on the past two weekends espiecely are getting
as it refers to "access to the inter net" and " blocked firewall" and router settings .....the "directory list server connection failed" error is what I am describing as a " port test error"
the only difference is on the weekends "rebooting" does no good
there is obviously some thing wrong on YOUR end (the past 2 weekends prove it)
and if i did have something wrong on my end that deals with and gives me the same errors EVERYONE else is recieving
It would be \ IS impossible for me to trouble shoot any issues" I "MAY" have!!!

Attachments

• ScreenShot810.jpg
    ScreenShot810.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Maj,

I just noticed that we have the same Modem.
Wanted to let you know that I'm not having any of those problems?
I'd search elsewhere.

4.5 issues

It seems if you revert back to 4.50.036 these issues stop. Looks like upgrades after that messes things up. Good Luck.

I am NOT the only person with this problem......something tells me its on KE's end :
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=23599
and until KE can fix the " directory server connection failed" error problem on there end...I have no hope of finding out IF it is something on my end....I could just go in endless circles not knowing which is the case......
as long as other people who are also set up correctly are having the same error
( " directory server connection failed")
for NO real reason !!!!!...HOW could I possibly trouble shoot this issue?....or do I really even have an issue???
there are people(MANY) reporting the same " directory server connection failed" this weekend just like last weekend: (I just don't think it is "just me" as you assert Joe!)
there are at least 5 (6 counting this one) threads going on right now about the same "error" how can you say it is "just me"????? and that "no one else are reporting these issues"??????:eek:
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?p=150929#post150929
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?p=151086#post151086
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=23643
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=23624

Maj. Numbskully said:
it is made by realtek and I'm sure that there are hundreds(maybe thousands) of other RF users who have the same NIC
my PC is less than a year old so my NIC is'n't really that far out of "date"

I wasn't suggesting that something was wrong with that model but rather that there may be a problem specific to your motherboard or drivers i.e. a bug or failure specific to your machine.

Maj. Numbskully said:
there is obviously some thing wrong on YOUR end (the past 2 weekends prove it)

Memorial Day weekend, the actual server machine that RF's MP servers are run on crashed. I have no idea why - we pay another company to run the servers. The machine was back up the following Tuesday so I restarted the servers. That has nothing to do with anything under our control and was an isolated event.

Maj. Numbskully said:
I am NOT the only person with this problem......something tells me its on KE's end :
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=23599

That guy was NOT able to connect to the directory server after rebooting thus it is not the same problem.

More explanation about the DS problems of the last two weekends

Very glad to see the server up and functioning!! this week end
BUT....
Joe Teibel said:
I wasn't suggesting that something was wrong with that model but rather that there may be a problem specific to your motherboard or drivers i.e. a bug or failure specific to your machine.
That guy was NOT able to connect to the directory server after rebooting thus it is not the same problem.
very strange that I have not had the
“Directory List Server “ error ( were I needed to reboot)NOT ONCE all week long since you “Reset the server”
some how I feel vindicated that it was not some thing on my end that was causing me to get that error (even before memorial day weekend)
I could be wrong ....
but I think something changed when the server was “Reset”
as again I have made Zero changes to my system on my end and from the moment it was reset
Iv'e not seen that error once!!!
Guess it does not really matter what the reason was .......its working fine now (so far)
I've been using mp all week long :D

Last edited:
Back