control input lag

pthy

I recently purchased 4.5 and have it loaded on a my laptop, duo core 1.83 ghz, 2g ram, radeon xt1400 vid with windows xp. The graphics are good and i'm not experiencing any shutterring. What problem Im noticing is that there apears to be about a half second to second lag in the controllers. I move the stick and theres a delayed reaction with the aircraft.

I have many of the visual settings set for better performance.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

-Pat

The visual setting has nothing to do with the lag you are referring to. When you are in controller calibration in RF, do you see the lag there as well? Most likely what you are seeing is a slow sevo response time, which can be edited in the aircraft editor, if you like.

jeffpn said:
The visual setting has nothing to do with the lag you are referring to. When you are in controller calibration in RF, do you see the lag there as well? Most likely what you are seeing is a slow sevo response time, which can be edited in the aircraft editor, if you like.

Thank you for the response.

I just ran through a controller calibration and notice no lag whatsoever. I attempted to adjust the servo response time in the aircraft edit page but was unable to find the right place. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks again,

-Pat

Make sure you have the advanced editor showing. Try resetting to defaults via the launcher first. Changing the servo speed will have to be done individually for every servo on every aircraft. Also, adjust the difficulty level accessed by hitting alt, then s. Play around with that setting.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 16
How much lag are you talking about?

At the airfield you will hear a noticible lag to say throttle response.

This is due both to servo response rate and the speed of sound.

The lag can be up to half a second. For instance on the Extra 300L I move the rudder stick and the rudder starts to move about half a second later. I adjusted the servo speed and while it did make the servo speed up or slow down depending on how I adjusted it the lag still remains.

I have done all these checks visually mostly with control surfaces so I dont believe speed of sound is an issue, but thanks for the idea as it was something I had not considered.

Have you changed the Physics speed at any time in the past?

Try restoring defaults from the Launcher.

Weird. :confused:

Aside from restoring defaults...

Do you have a USB printer or scanner installed?

If so is the printer or scanner connected to a seperately powered external USB Hub?

Do you or have you installed drivers for a digital camera of any sort?

phrank said:
Have you changed the Physics speed at any time in the past?

Try restoring defaults from the Launcher.

Weird. :confused:

Physics have not been touched.

Restored defaults from launcher, then recalibrated controller, still no change.

Some aircraft react differently. The Extra 300 has about a half second delay, the Cap 232 has almost a whole second delay. Very strange.

opjose said:
Aside from restoring defaults...

Do you have a USB printer or scanner installed?

If so is the printer or scanner connected to a seperately powered external USB Hub?

Do you or have you installed drivers for a digital camera of any sort?

I do have drivers installed for a few different usb printers and when plugged in it is directly to computer, no external hub.

I do have a Canon program I use to download pics from my digital cameras.

pthy said:
I do have drivers installed for a few different usb printers and when plugged in it is directly to computer, no external hub.

I do have a Canon program I use to download pics from my digital cameras.

Uninstall the drivers for both the printers and cameras.

Make sure that no other USB devices are plugged in.

Power down your computer after uninstalling the drivers.

Power it back up and plug the Interlink back in.

Calibrate it again.

Then give it a try.

We've seen one or two similiar reports and they always seem to have be created by other devices or drivers.

Last edited:
!

Just got off phone with the tech. Shut off a bunch of processes in the task manager, except for system, network and local services and its working great. No I just need to narrow it down to which one is hogging most of the performance. argh! :eek:

Thanks again for everyones help and input, greatly appreciated.

Right, which is why I suggested uninstalling the drivers.

You have something that is hanging on to the USB bus awaiting I/O that is interfering with the Interlink.

Killing the processes stopped the offending task, but it did not remove it.

What I suggested should remove the offending task.

I'll bet the problem will be a camera or printer driver or engine.

If you have a brain dead ( dumb ) host based printer, that will be the culprit.

----

Host based printers:

Most of the original InkJet and Laserjet printers had an on board processor and associated RAM memory.

These printers were able to accept and buffer the DESCRIPTION of an entire page of output.

They would take the page description commands and re-assembled the page into a RAM buffer, that was effectively a VIDEO type buffer.

The laser system then would draw the "image" onto the drum ( or the inkjet system would inping the inks upon the page ).

... and you would get your output.

Somewhere along the line many manufacturers decided to go the same route as those old and awful "winmodems".

They decided that the page description parsing could be handled by a process ( aka the "engine" ) resident on your computer.

In turn the process doles out ONE LINE of "dots" at a time to the printer.

This requires precise timing between the computer and the print head/laser. SO the process "sits" on the interface bus... e.g. USB.

The end result is that they saved the cost of the CPU and RAM, lowering their manufacturing costs and increasing their margins!

However these "brain-dead" printers are highly problematic... and as a result most have been religated to the home user, who has lesser printing needs.

Ugh...

First excuse my english I seems to have the same issue event with g3.5 I have both instal on my sony vaio. I suspect the video card but the graphic was neet the lag was not on the graphic side, I have put the controler widget on the screen and I see the diffeence on the stick movement.

I have the time to go all the oposite action beffore the stick begin to came back

thank I will search the process

I believe I am having the same issue - did you ever got to the bottom of this problem?

I am running Windows Vista on a new build PC, which pretty much only has windows and the AV installed.

Which processes did you kill before the problem disappeared?

regards

Brian

Back