Controller needed to start the game

AustinLangley

when trying to start my real flight evolution it says controller required and wont start the game is there any way to get rid of this feature as sometimes i just want to edit a map or import aircraft and don't want to take out my remote?

You need to connect ANY joystick. AFAIK, if you use a dongle with your transmitter, all you need is the dongle. I use an InterLink, so it doesn't need to be packed away between uses - it's useless unless it's connected to the PC.

That is correct about the dongle. If you plug in a Spektrum USB receiver dongle, RF will start. You don't need to have a transmitter sending anything to it. Without a transmitter, RF runs and the plane throttles up and flies straight forever.

Last edited:
That is correct about the dongle. If you plug in the dongle, RF will start. You don't need to have a transmitter sending anything to it. Without a transmitter, RF runs and the plane throttles up and flies straight forever.
Thanks. I wasn't SURE about that since I use an InterLink, but I didn't know exactly what would happen without a Tx connected to a dongle. But since the OP didn't say exactly what he was using as a controller.... What if it's a Tx that can connect to the PC without a dongle? He might need to buy a cheap generic USB joystick.

For the heck of it I just dug out an old Xbox 360 controller for Windows. It has a special USB dongle of its own so that the connection to the controller is wireless. Unlike the Spektrum dongle, plugging in the Xbox dongle alone didn't make Windows see any kind of game controller, but once I turned on the Xbox controller, Windows saw that and RF was willing to start. FWIW, RF assigns a generic "Gamepad" controller profile to an Xbox controller. It feels pretty strange using an Xbox controller with RF, but it can be done!

I also tried a set of rudder pedals I use with MSFS. That also works and gets RF to run! It would have taken a few minutes to figure out how the controls are mapped; the plane in RF spun and crashed pretty much immediately.

So yes, any Windows game controller device should make RF happy. If you can see it listed in joy.cpl in Windows (the Game Controller control panel applet), then RF should start.

I found some really cheap USB game pads on Amazon starting at $9.99.

Back