Controller usb cable damaged.

JimmyG

I have screwed up the usb cable that is attached to the interlink controller. :eek: I need to replace it. Called tech support and they said they can't send me a new one and that they don't repair them. They just replace the entire controller with a new one for $60.00.

I don't want to have to replace the entire controller just because I tripped over the cable and messed up the end. Also I have modifiedd my controller with switches for use in the combat games and I don't want to lose that so replacing the cable is my best option in my opinion.

Anyone have any ideas on a suitable replament cable that I could adapt for use on the controller? I notice on mine it has 2 large pieces inline with the cable which I would assume are choke coils for interference purposes but I'm not sure about that. anyone know if a typical usb cable would work?

It would really be nice if the interlink was wireless. I have tripped over the cable more times than I can count and have straightened the end out before but this time I pretty much destroyed it as well as the port on my computer. :eek: Guess I should be more careful and watch where I'm going.

Buy New

I understand where you are coming from, but for $60, I would rather have the new controller. You have probably used the heck out of it... I know that I have mine. The gimbals could probably use a refresh.

You can buy the RF chokes that are attached to the USB wire... and you certainly can buy the wire. You have already demonstrated ability to mod the controller... so soldering 5 new connections is nothing.

The thing I like about doing it myself is that I don't loose ability to fly for a couple of weeks.

I would like a wireless controller too! That would be a great improvement.

JimmyG said:
I have screwed up the usb cable that is attached to the interlink controller. :eek: I need to replace it. Called tech support and they said they can't send me a new one and that they don't repair them. They just replace the entire controller with a new one for $60.00.

I don't want to have to replace the entire controller just because I tripped over the cable and messed up the end. Also I have modifiedd my controller with switches for use in the combat games and I don't want to lose that so replacing the cable is my best option in my opinion.

Anyone have any ideas on a suitable replament cable that I could adapt for use on the controller? I notice on mine it has 2 large pieces inline with the cable which I would assume are choke coils for interference purposes but I'm not sure about that. anyone know if a typical usb cable would work?

It would really be nice if the interlink was wireless. I have tripped over the cable more times than I can count and have straightened the end out before but this time I pretty much destroyed it as well as the port on my computer. :eek: Guess I should be more careful and watch where I'm going.

Same-ish thing happened to me :( It's right where the cable comes out of the case and i have to wrap the cable around teh side of the case on the left to make the interlink "connect" with my PC

How about wireless USB Futaba FASST receivers? I'd pay good money for one of those. ;)

About the USB cable, you're probably alright with just getting an extender, cutting the female end off, and soldering the wires to your controller (making sure you solder the wires in the right configuration). I couldn't guarantee it though.

Have you ever seen how microscopic usb wires are? LOl.... I tried to fix a bad mouse once and the wires melted before the solder did!!!
might just have been a cheap mouse ,maybe the wires on the interlink are thicker

Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
Have you ever seen how microscopic usb wires are? LOl.... I tried to fix a bad mouse once and the wires melted before the solder did!!!
might just have been a cheap mouse ,maybe the wires on the interlink are thicker

Aw come on, they're bigger than the motor wires in my sub 1 oz foamies. ;)

You can do it if you're careful. Most modern PCBs have lead free solder which takes an appropriate "lead free compatible" iron set to a fairly high temperature. If you keep melting the wires, you can desolder the old stuff, use solder wick to get rid of the lead-free solder, then use good old leaded (low temp) solder to make the new connections.

Oh and maybe move the computer/desk/whatever so the cord isn't on the floor!!!

Good news you know how to Mod things. :)
Bad news you trip over stuff. :(

Console guys have made break-off cables on their controllers for just that reason.
You can do a similar type of mod.

You know those USB Type-B connectors you find on scanners and printers?
Shove one of those into the back of your Interlink.
If you trip over it again, the USB cable attached to it should just pop out. :D

Probably come out cheaper than $60 in the long run.

I thought I should post a follow up to this issue I had to give some praises to the tech support people.

I have been busy lately with other things so it took me awhile to get back to this.

Anyway got in touch with tech support and the person on the other end really listened to my delima and understood what I needed. He really went out of his way to help me out and ended up getting me a usb cable from another controller that had come in as damaged. He sent me the usb cable for the cost of shipping. Received the cable 2 days later.

Soldered it in and I'm back in business.

Thanks to the tech support guys. They saved me some money and saved me my modifications that I have made to the controller. You guys are awesome!!!

you can solder the wires if you know what you are doing. I used my weakest iron when I had to fix mine. Mine slowly cut threw where the wire comes out of the case.

I used a 25 watt iron. Flux your wires. Melt a bit of solder on your iron and dip the wire in. Do this with each wire to "tin" them . When working with small wires like this I find it best to leave the iron on the rack and bring the matching wire to the iron hold a wire in each hand and touch them together on the iron. The tinning should melt together in a second or two. Reflux them before you do this.

Use liquid tape or just some electical tape to cover them. you could get fancy with shrink tubing but you run the risk of melting those little wires.

Good Luck!

JimmyG said:
... Also I have modifiedd my controller with switches for use in the combat games and I don't want to lose that so replacing the cable is my best option in my opinion...

Do you have any pics, descriptions of what you did, I have been thinking quite a while about modding, but one idea might lead to another...

See ya!,
Martin

MartinT said:
Do you have any pics, descriptions of what you did, I have been thinking quite a while about modding, but one idea might lead to another...

See ya!,
Martin

Don't have any pics but its pretty straight forward. I just put momentary push button switch on the back of the controller for use in combat. I simply connected the switch in parallel with the existing switches. It is kind of a pain to get it exactly where you want it because there isn't much room inside the controller where the switches need to go. Otherwise not much to it. But keep in mind...I'm sure it would void the warranty if applicable.

I've found all of this unnecessary just to make things quieter .......
using the demo I found that if you just move the switch the guns fire before it ever clicks......just don't click it all the way .....silence if i have the sound turned down to not hear the sim ....you could here a pin drop

Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
I've found all of this unnecessary just to make things quieter .......
using the demo I found that if you just move the switch the guns fire before it ever clicks......just don't click it all the way .....silence if i have the sound turned down to not hear the sim ....you could here a pin drop

I don't believe the mods are intended to quiet things up as much as to put the triggers in a more convenient location. I personally wouldn't bother with it, but it's obviously something that's important to some people.

js3862 said:
I don't believe the mods are intended to quiet things up as much as to put the triggers in a more convenient location. I personally wouldn't bother with it, but it's obviously something that's important to some people.

For me it was just something to tinker with and I didn't want to lose the mod just because I am a clutz and tripped over the stupid cable ( I call it a "stupid cable" because if you trip over it it makes you and the controller stupid). Its not important to me as I don't fly the combat very often.

I am happy tech support helped you. My dilemma was very similar. My 75 pound Yellow lab was laying under the desk. dog heard something, ripped out from under the desk. Her head snagged the cord and pulled controller to the floor. It broke just the aileron gimble part only, inside the radio. 1 week before this happened I upgraded my G3.5 to G5 $80. plus. I called to order new controller. it was close to $80 for new controller with shipping. couldn't believe it. on top of that I could not upgrade the controller to the G5. Told I had to stay with G3.5 controller. I asked if they cold send me a used controller that I could swap parts. No such luck. I got no where with them. not even willing to work with me. Forgot to add, I had to ship broken controller to them before new 1 would be sent. at my cost. I tried to CA broken part. it worked but now i have a hesitation in the gimble during flight. If any 1 has any ideas I am listening.

Pay for the shipping and sent you controller in.

How much can it cost to send in something that weighs a pound or so.

Norton said:
Pay for the shipping and sent you controller in.

How much can it cost to send in something that weighs a pound or so.
Probably 3 or 4 bucks My problem is, I think the new controller is too expensive. and I can't believe they wont let me upgrade to the G5 controller.

I agree........ you were a previous customer , and you paid for the upgrade which you can no doubt prove .. on top of that your willing to pay for a new controller I'm surprised that they even have any of the old 3.5 interlinks left! ............I think they should sell you a new G5 interlink also .................but that's just one Numbskulls opinion

Back